Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 5:35:13 AM EDT
When I had an HBAR in the 80's there weren't alot of options available at the time. I stuck a nice scope on the carrying handle and off I went.
I just got back into shooting again and bought a bushie 16 and a varminter. Both shoot really nice.
I stuck scopes on both and was quite happy until I saw all the new options available. I would like to either buy another rifle or put something different on the 16 inch (flat top). I guess the main options would be an EOTech or an Aimpoint. What are the advantages of each. I like accuracy and guess that why I have liked scopes. Which would give me better 100 yard accuracy at the cost of WHAT? If I buy an eotech which one? and what do I need for a mount? and what the deal with the co whatever you call it with the front sight?
Any help would be appreciated.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 6:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey Randy - heres a couple threads, to gather some info.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=276342
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=274608

FWIW, I just opted for the Aimpoint ML2 (non-NV, 4MOA dot) - 16" A3 flattop with LMT BUIS and a Larue QD Mount .  

For me, it was a toss up between the Eotech 512 and the Aimpoint.  As you'll see from the threads, both have their pros/cons, and either would be a good choice.  Personally, nothing against the Eotech (which is solid), but I figured I would be more comfortable with the totally enclosed optics of the Aimpoint, ie. flip up lens covers, etc.

To sum it up, first decision should be based upon if you'll anticipate the use of night vision.

If not, for Aimpoint, ML2 or ML3, for the F revision (rubberized buttons) Eotechs 511 or 512.
If so, Aimpoint - M2 or M3, for F revision Eotechs, 551, 552 or 553.

Aimpoints all use D1/3N 3V batteries, Eotechs either use N sized (for models 511/551/553) or regular AA batteries (for the 512/552 models)

Eotechs can be mounted directly to the flattop with the built in mounting rail, yet to cowitness more clearly/comfortably with the rear/front sights, a riser my be needed such as an YHM Eotech Riser, or Domininator mount with built in BUIS.  Goal here is to put those iron sights in the bottom 1/3 of your view through either the Aimpoint or Eotech.

Aimpoints will require you to purchase a mount - choices include the ARMS 68 with or without riser (with, if you intend to have a rear BUIS), or (what I went with) the Larue M68 choices of mounts.  

Either way, you'll probably end up spending between $390 - $425+ for everything (non-night vision) and subsequently higher for NV compatible versions of either sight.

At 100 yards, either of these sights will do the trick for you - understanding the capabilites of your rifle/ammo selection would have more to do with probable hits at whatever range you end up shooting, ie. bullet drop/compensation.  The dot on the Eotech is smaller, 65 MOA ring w/ 1 MOA,  but the newer versions of the Aimpoints M3/ML3 have either a choice of 2 or the normal 4 MOA dot

Both sights are fast, and should be used with both eyes open - with accuracy comes speed.

Hope I helped, and perhaps some of the other fellas can chime in.  I think I have a pretty good handle after doing my research, but I may have overlooked something.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
My $.02  I have a bushie M4 upper on a Frankengun lower.  Ive an EO Tech 550 mounted at the foremost position on the receiver and an ARMS #40 flip up BUIS.  The EO Tech is mounted directly to the reciever, no riser or anything.  It co witnesses the BUIS just fine although the front sight post maybe subtends a little more of the veiw through the EO tech than I would consider perfect. The top of front sight post sits directly on the midline of the glass in the EO Tech.  I chose the EO Tech over the aimpoint for four reasons. I got the EO Tech for $300 which is $50-$75 cheaper than the comparable, non NV compatible Aimpont, it doesn't require the extra  expense of a mount, I like the circle-dot reticle better than that in the Aimpoint  the combination 1 MOA dot/ 65 MOA circle works well as a quick and dirty range finder.  Finally I like more open FOV of the EO Tech.  Other than the price and integrated mount all this is purely subjective, and I am not claiming that the EO Tech is superior to the Aimpoint, you can't go wrong with either optic.  I just like the EO Tech better.  

To me the only advantage of the Aimpoint is the on/off/brightness knob is easier to work than the controls of the EO Tech.  I was looking at an Aimpoint magnifier at the Knob Creek shoot last weekend,  neat concept and the execution is up to the usual quality standards of Aimpoint but I think it's one of those things that looks better on paper than in reality.  It struck me as clunky.  

Oh one other thing about the EO Tech,  mine is finicky about the insertion of the batteries, once they are in and the sight is working you are golden, they don't move around.  But youmay have to fiddle with them for a couple minutes to make sure they are lined up perfectly before the sight will come on.

Regards
Q
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the good info. I have a pro point I put on a target Ron Power custom gun some years ago so I am a little familiar with the aimpoint type system.  I like the idea of the EOTech also.
JR
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I grew of shooting with an aimpoint but i have bought an eotech for my m4. I loved the Aimpoint but after shooting with an Eotech that was my choice. Goes by personal pref. though. Whatever you choose you can't really go wrong. Both are great!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I found that the eotech mounted in a more rearward position allows for the fastest target acquisition.  I am a recent eotech convert.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:33:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Should I buy a new gun to put it on since both my others have scopes???
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top