Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:01:31 PM EDT
Okay, I finally got my first build under my belt. Thanks to the forum for all the info.

I called one local gunsmith today to check the headspace. They said it would be 35 dollars and they would need the firearm for 2 days. his
Since I have three more stripped recievers that are being built, I am thinking about buying a set of headspace guages for myself if it works out better economically. I have no problem buying tools.

4 firearms x $35 headspace check + 8 days shop time= too much

I am kinda confused about the different guages. I thought I read somewhere that you can't use the same ones that the military uses. Which one or ones do I need? Anyone know where to order?
Thanks....hug.gif
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:00:16 PM EDT
The gauges are not that expensive and you can get the .223 gauges from Brownells as well as others.
It takes about 5 min. to check headspace. I bought my own gauges just for that reason. There are also 5.56 gauges out there, if you look a little harder.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:10:17 PM EDT
The military field gage is better because you don't have to disassemble the bolt to use it.

I got one from seller DrJekl from the Equipment Exchange, here's his ad link.

He told me last week that he only have a few more in stock.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:27:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 8:28:01 PM EDT by repub18]
Get a USGI field guage. Fulton armory has them, they are only about $30.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:38:59 AM EDT
Not to sound like an idiot but what is "headspace" anyway? I hear alot of people talk about it but I haven't read anything about what it is and how you measure it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:12:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 8:22:53 AM EDT by briansmithwins]
Headspace http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headspace

It is measured with a steel gage that conforms with min/max standards for the cartridge.

For .223 chambers use .223 gages, for 5.56 chambers use the military gage.

$35 and 2 days is a rip. My local smith will check headspace for free. Of course, I buy things from him too. If you are running a small production line, buy the tool, you need one. BSW
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:36:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2005 2:37:00 PM EDT by M4Madness]
If you are using a new bolt and new barrel, I wouldn't even bother with checking the headspace.

Q: How do I Headspace an AR-15?

A: Courtesy of LTC Santose

99% of any "concern" about headspacing is based on a lack of knowledge about what headspace is and does. Unless you take a grinder to the bolt, or fire several thousand rounds of ammunition on AUTO, you can't induce dangerous headspace. The Army, which fires a zillion rounds a year has one (1) gauge. Gauge, headspace, field. That's it.

If you buy commercial barrels and bolts from Bushmaster or Colt's you don't need to worry -- or even THINK -- about headspace. Unless you've fired several thousand rounds of ammunition you don't need to worry -- or even THINK -- about headspace other than an ANNUAL check with the field gage. Reserve units only do it every two years. If the bolt closes on the field gage you fit a new bolt. If it closes you fit a new barrel and use the OLD bolt. If that fails use a new bolt and new barrel. No GO or NO-GO checking, just FIELD. There's no concern about a NEW bolt in an old barrel. Heck it's going to be larger -- no wear -- than the old bolt and there will be less headspace.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:50:19 AM EDT
What guages do you use for the Wylde chamber?
Top Top