Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:01:31 PM EDT
Okay, I finally got my first build under my belt. Thanks to the forum for all the info.

I called one local gunsmith today to check the headspace. They said it would be 35 dollars and they would need the firearm for 2 days. his
Since I have three more stripped recievers that are being built, I am thinking about buying a set of headspace guages for myself if it works out better economically. I have no problem buying tools.

4 firearms x $35 headspace check + 8 days shop time= too much

I am kinda confused about the different guages. I thought I read somewhere that you can't use the same ones that the military uses. Which one or ones do I need? Anyone know where to order?
Thanks....hug.gif
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The gauges are not that expensive and you can get the .223 gauges from Brownells as well as others.
It takes about 5 min. to check headspace. I bought my own gauges just for that reason. There are also 5.56 gauges out there, if you look a little harder.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#2]
The military field gage is better because you don't have to disassemble the bolt to use it.

I got one from seller DrJekl from the Equipment Exchange, here's his ad link.

He told me last week that he only have a few more in stock.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a USGI field guage.  Fulton armory has them, they are only about $30.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Not to sound like an idiot but what is "headspace" anyway?  I hear alot of people talk about it but I haven't read anything about what it is and how you measure it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Headspace http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headspace

It is measured with a steel gage that conforms with min/max standards for the cartridge.

For .223 chambers use .223 gages, for 5.56 chambers use the military gage.

$35 and 2 days is a rip. My local smith will check headspace for free. Of course, I buy things from him too. If you are running a small production line, buy the tool, you need one. BSW
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are using a new bolt and new barrel, I wouldn't even bother with checking the headspace.

Q: How do I Headspace an AR-15?

A: Courtesy of LTC Santose

99% of any "concern" about headspacing is based on a lack of knowledge about what headspace is and does. Unless you take a grinder to the bolt, or fire several thousand rounds of ammunition on AUTO, you can't induce dangerous headspace. The Army, which fires a zillion rounds a year has one (1) gauge. Gauge, headspace, field. That's it.

If you buy commercial barrels and bolts from Bushmaster or Colt's you don't need to worry -- or even THINK -- about headspace. Unless you've fired several thousand rounds of ammunition you don't need to worry -- or even THINK -- about headspace other than an ANNUAL check with the field gage. Reserve units only do it every two years. If the bolt closes on the field gage you fit a new bolt. If it closes you fit a new barrel and use the OLD bolt. If that fails use a new bolt and new barrel. No GO or NO-GO checking, just FIELD. There's no concern about a NEW bolt in an old barrel. Heck it's going to be larger -- no wear -- than the old bolt and there will be less headspace.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:50:19 AM EDT
[#7]
What guages do you use for the Wylde chamber?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top