[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your link doesn't go to that product.

View Quote
It did for me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Weight looks very attractive if accurate.  Reticle is not great from the screenshot.  

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Does look interesting, OP. Only 2 left.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Does look interesting, OP. Only 2 left.
View Quote

Well there were three left until I bought one.

My curiosity got the best of me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:55:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I know alot of people are anxiously waiting for reviews of the Athlon 1-10 scopes, both this one and the Ares.

I have tried the Swampfox 1-10 and was pretty disappointed all around.  Hoping Athlon can learn from those mistakes and knock it out of the park!  Realistically I doubt this one will be much better than the Swampfox other than having a much better reticle but I'm really hoping the Ares 1-10 is able to get closer to the Razor 1-10 than what is currently available.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven't seen anything on the Helos either but never really searched for reviews because I don't like the idea of a SFP scope in a 1-10x format. I briefly had an Atibal 1-10x and it was a nice scope. Eye relief was good and glass was clear but I didn't like the reticle so I sold it once I saw the Athlon Ares and Primary Arms had new 1-10x offerings. I ordered an Ares and they are expected to be released very soon. The PA optic is supposed to be released in the summer time. PA is claiming daylight bright but haven't heard anything about the Athlon brightness.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah the Ares definitely looks better but it is also twice the price.

This is for ballin on a budget and I am hoping I can live with the reticle and SFP.

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well there were three left until I bought one.

My curiosity got the best of me.
View Quote
Standing by for your review. I want to like it
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm glad to see more scopes playing in the 1-10x range, as competition is always good.  But I think I'd prefer the Helos 2-12x42 in the $500 price range, or save up a bit more for the Ares ETR at around $950.  The FFP reticles Athlon is putting out really seem to be hitting the right balance between speed & versatility, and I've been impressed with my Ares BTR 2.5-15x.  These seem to hit all the right notes for a jack-of-all-trades rifle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm more excited about PA's 1-10x with the Griffin ACSS
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm glad to see more scopes playing in the 1-10x range, as competition is always good.  But I think I'd prefer the Helos 2-12x42 in the $500 price range, or save up a bit more for the Ares ETR at around $950.  The FFP reticles Athlon is putting out really seem to be hitting the right balance between speed & versatility, and I've been impressed with my Ares BTR 2.5-15x.  These seem to hit all the right notes for a jack-of-all-trades rifle.
View Quote

I hear you on the BTR 2.5-15.

If I was somewhere that extra magnification would be useful I would have gone that route.

For me though having that 1x is more important, that's where my scopes sit most of the time.

On my land it's tough to find an open area more than 80 yards. It's mostly uncleared woods.

Ive never looked through a 1-10x scope but I have a Razor HD 1-6x, a Viper PST 1-4x, and a Bushnell Tactical 1-6x to compare this Athlon to so I am very curious to see if the extra magnification has any utility for me.

Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#13]
What I'm curious to know is why did the Helos get a 34mm tube and 28mm obj and the Ares got a 30mm tube and 24mm obj (26.9 oz ouch)in a higher priced scope.

The 34mm tube and 28mm obj in a 16oz (18 oz on Athlon site) package has me very intrigued.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:40:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What I'm curious to know is why did the Helos get a 34mm tube and 28mm obj and the Ares got a 30mm tube and 24mm obj (26.9 oz ouch)in a higher priced scope.

The 34mm tube and 28mm obj in a 16oz (18 oz on Athlon site) package has me very intrigued.
View Quote

The Ares does have a 34mm tube, but yeah I am wondering myself why they gave the Helos a 28mm obj and not the Ares.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/ares-etr-1-10x24-atmr2-ffp-ir-moa-uhd/
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#15]
So I have the scope in hand now.

Just from hand held scoping in the house I would say the 1x appears to be very well done. Very little distortion and good eyebox. Reticle makes sense, is bright and clear and fast.

I'll get in the field and compare it to some other scopes this weekend but so far I must say I am impressed.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The Ares does have a 34mm tube, but yeah I am wondering myself why they gave the Helos a 28mm obj and not the Ares.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the Ares had a 28 mm objective lens with a locking turret(s) I would be interested in it. For some reason the Athlon scopes don’t get the following like Vortex in their early days or Swampfox.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just from hand held scoping in the house I would say the 1x appears to be very well done. Very little distortion and good eyebox. Reticle makes sense, is bright and clear and fast.

I'll get in the field and compare it to some other scopes this weekend but so far I must say I am impressed.

View Quote

Nice!  Do you have a LOW scope on hand to compare to (Bushnell Elite, Razor, Athlon Cronus) or any other known quality (PST2 1-6 , P4XI, Trij)?

Unfortunately the Swampfox 1-10 was a massive letdown because it was never actually compared with known quality, they just continually compared it to trash scopes like the Strike Eagle which obviously it was marginally better than the lowest quality LPVO there is.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nice!  Do you have a LOW scope on hand to compare to (Bushnell Elite, Razor, Athlon Cronus) or any other known quality (PST2 1-6 , P4XI, Trij)?

Unfortunately the Swampfox 1-10 was a massive letdown because it was never actually compared with known quality, they just continually compared it to trash scopes like the Strike Eagle which obviously it was marginally better than the lowest quality LPVO there is.
View Quote

My question would be why even bother to compare to much higher end optics made in japan? You pretty much know you will be disappointed.

I'm not saying don't do it but common, really?

You hated the Arrowhead and I'm pretty sure you are going to hate this one. If I were you I wouldn't even bother wasting my $ on a Chinese optic you know you aren't going to be 100% satisfied with.

You'll probably end up putting it on the EE here at a bit of a loss.

Many here were very happy with their Arrowheads and you still were disappointed. I would think twice if I were you about getting one of these. I'm a little leery myself after owning an mrad 1-10x arrowhead that didn't track worth a shit.

No offence at all here but from reading many of your post here I'm thinking you would be better off going with something of higher quality, no?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's twice you've said the Arrowhead 1-10 sucked.  Exactly what was wrong with it that didn't meet your expectations??
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:57:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah see my post above. I have a pile of scopes from high to low end to compare to.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's twice you've said the Arrowhead 1-10 sucked.  Exactly what was wrong with it that didn't meet your expectations??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bob, I agree with you, if some says a scope sucks say exactly why it sucked! If it didn’t track did the company take care of warranty? Same if glass, or reticle. Now if you did not like the reticle just say so, I am very picky on reticles I like or find very useable.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm certainly curious as to why the Arrowhead sucked.

I think it does pretty well compared to, you know, all those other 1-10x LPVOs on the market for under $600 MRSP.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Can y'all please do a different thread to talk about the arrowhead or whatever?

There isnt much out there about this specific scope so I would like to keep it focused.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 2:08:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There isnt much out there about this specific scope so I would like to keep it focused.

Thanks!
View Quote

I am all for hearing about the Athlon scope you bought, there is next to no reviews out there. The few YouTube just talk but never really say or show anything.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:57:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am all for hearing about the Athlon scope you bought, there is next to no reviews out there. The few YouTube just talk but never really say or show anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Amen let’s get this back on track.

I want to hear about it too. So far it sounds good.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll ask the obligatory "can you show me some reticle/glass pics?"

Seriously, put that f'r on a scale, I want to see the OZs
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ya that is pretty much the line when it comes to Athlon optics.  Before I bought my first I tried to do my diligence and scope out all the info I could but there was NONE.  In a leap of faith I clicked the BUY button and so happy I did.  I now have 3 Athlon optics and am happy with every one.  I don't care for a 10x scope with a 24mm objective personally, but would love to hear the low-down on it regardless.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 1:56:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

A good eyebox at 10x?  Basic physics is that you have an exit pupil only 2.8mm in diameter.  Get just a tiny bit off of exact center and your FOV goes black.  Try it in low light at 10x and tell us how bright and clear the image is.

I'm not so much criticizing your particular scope as much as the entire industry push to sell this type of scope, which seems to be more marketing hype than functionality.  Outside the nitch of 3Gun in good light, these type scopes are at a hugh disadvantage compared to other choices.  Athelon lists its weight at 18.3 ounces.  Some vendors are saying 16.1.  Which is it?  I suspect the manufacturer knows best.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:35:56 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm not so much criticizing your particular scope as much as the entire industry push to sell this type of scope, which seems to be more marketing hype than functionality.
View Quote

BOOM!!!  As the old saying goes, "a jack of all trades, masters none".  The LPVO has become the swiss army knife of the optics world.  There eventually came the time when the swiss army knife got too big to comfortably carry in the pocket, and therefore outgrew it's usefulness.  The "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" philosophy comes to mind when it comes to LPVO's.  Physics is a thing, and a 24mm objective is better suited to 6x than 10x magnification, and "true" 1x will always be a chase of compromise.  JMHO and YMMV and ETC, ETC, ETC
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 2:40:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A good eyebox at 10x?  Basic physics is that you have an exit pupil only 2.8mm in diameter.  Get just a tiny bit off of exact center and your FOV goes black.  Try it in low light at 10x and tell us how bright and clear the image is.

I'm not so much criticizing your particular scope as much as the entire industry push to sell this type of scope, which seems to be more marketing hype than functionality.  Outside the nitch of 3Gun in good light, these type scopes are at a hugh disadvantage compared to other choices.  Athelon lists its weight at 18.3 ounces.  Some vendors are saying 16.1.  Which is it?  I suspect the manufacturer knows best.
View Quote

Here we go again
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Here we go again
View Quote

He’s right, though.  Add on less than stellar Chinese glass and it makes you wonder what the entire purpose is to begin with.

If you’re pushing to medium range, say 600-ish yards, you’d be better off with higher glass quality and less magnification under real world conditions.

If you’re not looking at a real world optic and speed is less of a concern yet you’re on a budget, something with a larger objective would be a better option even if you’re still using budget glass.

It’s just a strange market niche that I don’t really understand.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
 Add on less than stellar Chinese glass and it makes you wonder what the entire purpose is to begin with.
View Quote

Purpose?  The purpose is so FUDDs who's idea of shooting is benched with bipod and rest out to 50 yards 3 times year can be 'cool' with a 1-10x optic with edgy names.  

Poors gotta poor, after all.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Purpose?  The purpose is so FUDDs who's idea of shooting is benched with bipod and rest out to 50 yards 3 times year can be 'cool' with a 1-10x optic with edgy names.  

View Quote

Mods really need to clean this place up.

Sorry OP
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

Really?  Nice contribution...
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Really?  Nice contribution...
View Quote

It's getting pretty stupid around here lately.

A thread started by a member here who wanted to give his first impressions on an optic he is trying becomes not only an optic bashing thread but a people bashing thread. This isn't the first either and I'm afraid this is going to be the norm around here from now on.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It's getting pretty stupid around here lately.

A thread started by a member here who wanted to give his first impressions on an optic he is trying becomes not only an optic bashing thread but a people bashing thread. This isn't the first either and I'm afraid this is going to be the norm around here from now on.
View Quote

Yep, sure is a sad state of affairs.  At a time when we really need to pull together as a fraternity, you have dividers from within tearing us apart.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm not going to address the mouth breathers in this thread.

Moving on.

I spent about 8 hours behind this thing today from full 2 PM sun until night.

This optic is, bottom line, outstanding. Not just for the money, I mean it's straight up outstanding.

Comparing directly to vortex razor 1-6 and Bushnell Tactical 1-6.5 it was as good if not better in optical quality across the board.

The 1x is perfect. As good or better than the Razor and the Bushnell and both of those are great at 1x. I didn't compare reticle brightness, I am only talking eye box, clarity, and edge to edge distortion. It's really fucking clear and fast at 1x just like the razor and Bushnell. Once the diopter is adjusted properly the scope ghosts out with both eyes open and all you see is the target and reticle. For my eyes it had the least distortion at 1x of the three scopes.

At 6x it hangs with the Bushnell and slightly beats the Razor both in full sun and dark. I was able to read an eye chart at about 75 yards well into twilight with the Athlon, slightly longer than I could with the other scopes. At 10x the image got darker so really for light gathering in limited light 10x doesn't help. In daylight the 10x beat the 6x scopes for resolving detail in clear air.

The reticle is completely usable throughout the magnification range and I plan to just keep notes on the holdovers at various magnifications since it is SFP. Not a big deal, I've been doing it that way with other scopes for a long time.

What else... It is lighter but I haven't weighed it yet, I'll do that tomorrow. Build quality is really good. Diopter and magnification adjustment are smooth and precise.

I need to get more hours behind it but bottom line the 10x is tits to and the 1x is as good as I've seen.

I took a bunch of pics, I'll post a couple:

Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Athlon near sunset.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Evening, into the woods
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Appreciate the review OP.

I wonder how its going t compare to the Arrowhead with it's 34mm tube and 28mm obj?

Should be a tiny bit brighter and appear to have a better eyebox.

Looks like it's going to be a decent budget option to compete with the others in the 1-10 range.

I may have to try one of these out. I'll bet some heads are going to explode here now!!!!

We're all going to die now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks OP, glad you ended up liking it
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:14:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Those are some very good pics, probably some of the best reticle pics I have seen online. What rifle are you mounting it on? And once fully mounted how is the eye box and how forgiving is it?
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:45:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Those are some very good pics, probably some of the best reticle pics I have seen online. What rifle are you mounting it on? And once fully mounted how is the eye box and how forgiving is it?
View Quote

Thanks, yeah reticle pics aren't easy, takes 3 hands to get it all lined up.

The rifles I used are just some AR-15s and an AR-10 that I've been trying different optics on.

The eye box at 1x is as good as any 1x scope I have used. It's really good.

At 10x it's extremely tight. Not forgiving but usable. Dialing back just a bit to 6 or 8x really opens it up but unfortunately that makes the reticle size change. Like I said, I am going to have my dope for lower magnifications written down because using the reticle for holdovers at less than 10x is definitely something I plan to do.

Left to right are the Vortex Razor HD 1-6x, the Bushnell Tactical 1-6.5x, and the Athlon 1-10x. The Razor is a 1st gen so I don't know if the newer versions are better or what. It's pretty damn good though.

Attachment Attached File

A better shot of the Athlon:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:56:06 AM EDT
[#44]
For comparison here is a reticle shot of the Bushnell:

Just for perspective, the mountain with the structure on it is almost exactly 30 miles away.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#45]
The Helos looks like a lot of scope for the money. I can see where when you move from a 1-6 to a 1-10 scope the need for the 1-10 to be a FFP scope. With a 1-6 I have never seen much need for it to be a FFP.

Taking reticle pictures is tough, even if just to show it works for an EE ad, your pictures are excellent.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The Helos looks like a lot of scope for the money. I can see where when you move from a 1-6 to a 1-10 scope the need for the 1-10 to be a FFP scope. With a 1-6 I have never seen much need for it to be a FFP.

Taking reticle pictures is tough, even if just to show it works for an EE ad, your pictures are excellent.
View Quote

For my money the SFP is the right compromise even at 1-10x for this scope. I'm glad they built this how it is. The weight and good 1x is a big deal to me, much bigger than FFP.

I do wish it was MILs instead of MOA. I won't be using the turrets on this though so it doesn't matter that much but for range estimation I wish the hashes on the reticle were in MILs.

For me this is exactly what I was hoping it would be. Hopefully the durability is there.

I'll box test it today and do some daylight reticle brightness comparisons.

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Reticle?  What reticle?  I am in awe of the view from your deck
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This optic is, bottom line, outstanding. Not just for the money, I mean it's straight up outstanding.

Comparing directly to vortex razor 1-6 and Bushnell Tactical 1-6.5 it was as good if not better in optical quality across the board.

The 1x is perfect. As good or better than the Razor and the Bushnell and both of those are great at 1x. I didn't compare reticle brightness, I am only talking eye box, clarity, and edge to edge distortion. It's really fucking clear and fast at 1x just like the razor and Bushnell. Once the diopter is adjusted properly the scope ghosts out with both eyes open and all you see is the target and reticle. For my eyes it had the least distortion at 1x of the three scopes.

At 6x it hangs with the Bushnell and slightly beats the Razor both in full sun and dark. I was able to read an eye chart at about 75 yards well into twilight with the Athlon, slightly longer than I could with the other scopes. At 10x the image got darker so really for light gathering in limited light 10x doesn't help. In daylight the 10x beat the 6x scopes for resolving detail in clear air.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

WOW!  That's what I was looking for; A direct comparison with known quality! This is what I was referring too when I said we need to compare these Chinese scopes with known quality, yet for some reason most folks get scared or say "you shouldn't be looking at this scope to begin with".  That is a low energy excuse and coping technique used by people with sub-par scopes!

This sounds like an absolute home run.  1x that is the same as the Japanese LOW Razor and Bushnell and has the same "razor effect" where everything disappears except for the reticle.  If the other reviews are as positive as yours I may have to sell my Athlon Cronus 1-6 for for the Ares 1-10, which I imagine will only be better

Quoted:
My question would be why even bother to compare to much higher end optics made in japan? You pretty much know you will be disappointed.

Don't be scared to think outside the box.  Just because one companies 1-10 was trash doesn't mean the next will be (I'm not just talking about Swampfox 1-10, the Atibal X 1-10 is pretty bad too, lets be honest!).  This competition will help the consumers and improve products all around!  I also have an Athlon Cronus BTR, Bushy Elite 1-6.5, 1-8.5, have owned a first gen razor and a pst2.  I don't buy "high end" optics, I buy affordable quality.  It looks like this Athlon finally found it right with affordable quality!
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

WOW!  That's what I was looking for; A direct comparison with known quality! This is what I was referring too when I said we need to compare these Chinese scopes with known quality, yet for some reason most folks get scared or say "you shouldn't be looking at this scope to begin with".  That is a low energy excuse and coping technique used by people with sub-par scopes!

This sounds like an absolute home run.  1x that is the same as the Japanese LOW Razor and Bushnell and has the same "razor effect" where everything disappears except for the reticle.  If the other reviews are as positive as yours I may have to sell my Athlon Cronus 1-6 for for the Ares 1-10, which I imagine will only be better

Don't be scared to think outside the box.  Just because one companies 1-10 was trash doesn't mean the next will be (I'm not just talking about Swampfox 1-10, the Atibal X 1-10 is pretty bad too, lets be honest!).  This competition will help the consumers and improve products all around!  I also have an Athlon Cronus BTR, Bushy Elite 1-6.5, 1-8.5, have owned a first gen razor and a pst2.  I don't buy "high end" optics, I buy affordable quality.  It looks like this Athlon finally found it right with affordable quality!
View Quote

No sacred at all, just proving a point here.

Well I guess I am kind of scared because after looking through much higher quality glass it could make everything cheaper you look through from then on look like crap, but this one seems to be pretty nice, and I pretty much felt the same way when I got my arrowhead when I compared it too a Gen lll razor and a Bushnell Elite 1-6 and a Nightforce ATACR I had on hand.

Your view on the other hand was the complete opposite of mine as far as the arrowhead goes so what does that say? I was surprised and impressed by mine, and you weren't.

I was thinking from reading your past posts here that you would not like this one either.

From reading the OP's posts I think I'm going to like this one also where there's a good possibility that you may still not like this one even though OP is praising it just like I did the arrowhead.

Make sense?

OP let us know how the turrets track on this one? Only thing I don't like are the .2 and 1/2moa adjustments on these. Maybe on a 308 I won't notice the difference.

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I got a weight, 18 oz is correct.

Reticle isn't nearly as bright in daylight as the Razor. The Razor is king by a mile here. It's red dot bright.

The Bushnell and Athlon are both usable in the day for sure, but they don't hang with the vortex on dot brightness.

For multigun, the Razor is superior. It's fast and precise at 1x with that nuclear bright center dot. That's why I bought it originally and it still holds true today almost 10 years later.

For a general purpose optic, I am liking the Athlon the most at this point though. It's a great compromise with the low weight and overall utility. I hope the durability is there. We shall see.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top