Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got a weight, 18 oz is correct.

Reticle isn't nearly as bright in daylight as the Razor. The Razor is king by a mile here. It's red dot bright.

The Bushnell and Athlon are both usable in the day for sure, but they don't hang with the vortex on dot brightness.

For multigun, the Razor is superior. It's fast and precise at 1x with that nuclear bright center dot. That's why I bought it originally and it still holds true today almost 10 years later.

For a general purpose optic, I am liking the Athlon the most at this point though. It's a great compromise with the low weight and overall utility. I hope the durability is there. We shall see.

View Quote

Sounds like a great option.

I like the 18oz weight also for maybe going on an AR 10 or something a little heavier than an AR like that.

I have a DPMS Gen 2 small frame 308 that I would like to stay as light as possible if I end up keeping it due to no more parts being available.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Reticle isn't nearly as bright in daylight as the Razor. The Razor is king by a mile here. It's red dot bright.

The Bushnell and Athlon are both usable in the day for sure, but they don't hang with the vortex on dot brightness.

For multigun, the Razor is superior. It's fast and precise at 1x with that nuclear bright center dot. That's why I bought it originally and it still holds true today almost 10 years later.

For a general purpose optic, I am liking the Athlon the most at this point though. It's a great compromise with the low weight and overall utility. I hope the durability is there. We shall see.

View Quote

That’s great to hear. I got the Athlon Cronus Gen 2 4.5-29x56 on a 300 win mag and it’s a good scope. Been very interested in this 1-10 or the 2-12. If you had the choice between the Razor 1-6 (even the Gen ii-e) or the Athlon 1-10, is the Athlon worth it at the same price? I mean if you’re gonna use 10x then you’re probably supported and can get a good eye box and everything so I’m not worried about that. But is the extra 7-10x worth the not as good 1x and the non nuclear illumination?
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's great to hear. I got the Athlon Cronus Gen 2 4.5-29x56 on a 300 win mag and it's a good scope. Been very interested in this 1-10 or the 2-12. If you had the choice between the Razor 1-6 (even the Gen ii-e) or the Athlon 1-10, is the Athlon worth it at the same price? I mean if you're gonna use 10x then you're probably supported and can get a good eye box and everything so I'm not worried about that. But is the extra 7-10x worth the not as good 1x and the non nuclear illumination?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's great to hear. I got the Athlon Cronus Gen 2 4.5-29x56 on a 300 win mag and it's a good scope. Been very interested in this 1-10 or the 2-12. If you had the choice between the Razor 1-6 (even the Gen ii-e) or the Athlon 1-10, is the Athlon worth it at the same price? I mean if you're gonna use 10x then you're probably supported and can get a good eye box and everything so I'm not worried about that. But is the extra 7-10x worth the not as good 1x and the non nuclear illumination?

For me right now the 10x and reduced weight are worth it. I haven't shot a multigun match in a few years and if I did I'd still do fine with the Athlon I'm sure.

Practically speaking though, Vortex's warranty makes the Razor a lifetime scope so that's a pretty big deal to consider also.

I am effectively a beta tester for this Athlon and if it shits the bed who knows if Athlon will do anything. The Razor is proven and well supported.

Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Those are some very good pics, probably some of the best reticle pics I have seen online. What rifle are you mounting it on? And once fully mounted how is the eye box and how forgiving is it?
View Quote

Heck yes they are!
Nice pics OP and thank you for putting in the time!
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn that’s fricken amazing! 1-10x28 34mm tube at that.

Ok so we know it’s possible all you other manufacturers out there ... to get a big body scope with 28mm obj under 20 oz

Yes, that extra 4mm obj is noticeable if you’ve compared an Accupower to a Burris or any other 24mm LVPO at 1-8x
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Damn that’s fricken amazing! 1-10x28 34mm tube at that.

Ok so we know it’s possible all you other manufacturers out there ... to get a big body scope with 28mm obj under 20 oz

Yes, that extra 4mm obj is noticeable if you’ve compared an Accupower to a Burris or any other 24mm LVPO at 1-8x
View Quote

Preach it brother!
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

For me right now the 10x and reduced weight are worth it. I haven't shot a multigun match in a few years and if I did I'd still do fine with the Athlon I'm sure.

Practically speaking though, Vortex's warranty makes the Razor a lifetime scope so that's a pretty big deal to consider also.

I am effectively a beta tester for this Athlon and if it shits the bed who knows if Athlon will do anything. The Razor is proven and well supported.

View Quote

Beta tester # 2 here OP.

Just ordered one for myself. I have plenty of higher end optics and I always end up trying something in the lower priced range. I like checking shit out like this to see how far things have come in the budget market. Plus I'm  one of those poors I guess who can't afford to spend 2-3000$ on every rifle I own.

I can't wrap my head around why this bugs the shit out of some here? They need to get over it already. We aren't going to take this shit to the middle east and we aren't going to miss a deer because of it. I work with a "fudd" who has had an NC-star 3-9 on his 30-06 Remington model 7400 for at least 19 years now and he gets one every year with it. I tried to talk him into something better but he just don't care. This guy dosen't baby his rifles either. He has an old 870 with a old Tasco RDS on it he has been beating the shit out of and it's still going.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:30:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Beta tester # 2 here OP.

Just ordered one for myself. I have plenty of higher end optics and I always end up trying something in the lower priced range. I like checking shit out like this to see how far things have come in the budget market. Plus I'm  one of those poors I guess who can't afford to spend 2-3000$ on every rifle I own.

I can't wrap my head around why this bugs the shit out of some here? They need to get over it already. We aren't going to take this shit to the middle east and we aren't going to miss a deer because of it. I work with a "fudd" who has had an NC-star 3-9 on his 30-06 Remington model 7400 for at least 19 years now and he gets one every year with it. I tried to talk him into something better but he just don't care. This guy dosen't baby his rifles either. He has an old 870 with a old Tasco RDS on it he has been beating the shit out of and it's still going.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Beta tester # 2 here OP.

Quoted:

Preach it brother!

Looking forward to your observations!
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Beta tester # 2 here OP.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beta tester # 2 here OP.

Yeah I quit caring what fruit loops on the internet think about gear a long time ago.

I use what works and get rid of what doesn't. Simple.

What's funny about cheap vs expensive optics is the only scope I have ever had totally fail was a Trijicon ACOG while my $40 walmart grade Bushnells that I've had since the early 90s still survive like cockroaches, unable to be killed despite borderline spiteful abuse. Not that the ACOG isn't durable... I think fate simply favors the unloved haha

Anyway I also look forward to hearing your impressions.

I'm still messing with mine, it lives on my 11.5" 300 Hamr and already got a fresh coat of the finest $4 spray paint money can buy.

I still owe you guys a box test so I'll get to that soon, Ive been busy working up some new 300 Blackout and Hamr loads this week.

+2 Stealth:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#10]
He has an old 870 with a old Tasco RDS on it he has been beating the shit out of and it's still going.
View Quote

The older Tasco Pro-Point RDS's are vastly under-rated.  I have 3 that I have had since the 90's and they refuse to die.  Had one on a 45/70 pistol that ate "good" scopes at will.  I now have one on my AR-9 and pistol and another on an AR-22 pistol.  They work fine and also have the red/green option, the green of which is less noticeable to my astigmatism.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got mine in today and Meh,  I don't think it's as nice as My Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10x was.

The eyebox at 1x is better on the Arrowhead and so is the eye relief.

The outer ring on the arrowhead got pretty thin on 1x where this one stays fairly thick and almost kind of reminds me of the NX8.
It's still a pretty good 1x optic though if you don't mind a little thicker looking outer ring at 1x.

I do like the reticle better on this one though.

The turrets aren't bad and clicks feel decent but still cheap.  Not really complaining because this is pretty much expected in an optic of this price point and quality.

This optic to me feels like a PA SLX model 1-8 SFP squeezed into a 1-10x body with a 34mm tube.

I will say that the glass on this is really nice but so was the arrowhead's. If I had to choose this or the arrowhead I would definitely choose the arrowhead hands-down.

I do have and have had higher-quality optics, including the Bushnell mentioned above but I just can't even compare it to those because this optic is only nice in comparison as far as the glass and clarity goes.

Of course the lighter weight of this thing is amazing and in that aspect it blows the arrowhead out of the water. But maybe there's a reason this is lighter than the arrowhead which in my opinion is a better optic?

Probably going to send it back or maybe put it up here on the EE being that I did get it with a 5% off discount so I should be able to recoup some of my money if they won't take it back. I may keep it and just maybe bring it to the range once and shoot with it and maybe it will grow on me.

I don't think this should deter others from trying this thing out because the OP seems to really like his and this is just one person's opinion and view through the optic. Like I stated before everybody is going to have a different opinion IE: there were some here who didn't like the arrowhead at all where I praised it, so I think this is going to be one of those deals where YMMV.  

Hell some here didn't like the NX8 when they came out where most were loving theirs, just like the latest Vortex Gen lll's had the same differing opinions.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 11:02:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just got mine in today and Meh,  I don't think it's as nice as My Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10x was.

The outer ring on the arrowhead got pretty thin on 1x where this one stays fairly thick and almost kind of reminds me of the NX8.
It's still a pretty good 1x optic though if you don't mind a little thicker looking outer ring at 1x.

The turrets aren't bad and clicks feel decent but still cheap.  Not really complaining because this is pretty much expected in an optic of this price point and quality.

This optic to me feels like a PA SLX model 1-8 SFP squeezed into a 1-10x body with a 34mm tube.

I will say that the glass on this is really nice but so was the arrowhead's. If I had to choose this or the arrowhead I would definitely choose the arrowhead hands-down.

I do have and have had higher-quality optics, including the Bushnell mentioned above but I just can't even compare it to those because this optic is only nice in comparison as far as the glass and clarity goes.

Of course the lighter weight of this thing is amazing and in that aspect it blows the arrowhead out of the water. But maybe there's a reason this is lighter than the arrowhead which in my opinion is a better optic?

Probably going to send it back or maybe put it up here on the EE being that I did get it with a 5% off discount so I should be able to recoup some of my money if they won't take it back. I may keep it and just maybe bring it to the range once and shoot with it and maybe it will grow on me.

I don't think this should deter others from trying this thing out because the OP seems to really like his and this is just one person's opinion and view through the optic. Like I stated before everybody is going to have a different opinion IE: there were some here who didn't like the arrowhead at all where I praised it, so I think this is going to be one of those deals where YMMV.  

Hell some here didn't like the NX8 when they came out where most were loving theirs, just like the latest Vortex Gen lll's had the same differing opinions.
View Quote

The outer ring at 1x doesn't bother me as much as the edge distortion that some scopes have, my brain just tunes out the ring.

I spent a lot of time with the Razor HD at 1x and the Athlon, and adjusted the diopter at a bunch of different focal points and for my eyes I actually liked the Athlon better.

How much did you play with the diopter? I found that there was different ideal adjustments depending on what magnification the scope was at so at least in my experience there was some tweaking required with all the scopes.
Yeah for me the weight is the biggest deal but like everything you are giving something up to get there.

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:07:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The outer ring at 1x doesn't bother me as much as the edge distortion that some scopes have, my brain just tunes out the ring.

I spent a lot of time with the Razor HD at 1x and the Athlon, and adjusted the diopter at a bunch of different focal points and for my eyes I actually liked the Athlon better.

How much did you play with the diopter? I found that there was different ideal adjustments depending on what magnification the scope was at so at least in my experience there was some tweaking required with all the scopes.
Yeah for me the weight is the biggest deal but like everything you are giving something up to get there.
View Quote

Played with the diopter a little more today and it looks better now. The clarity is impressive for the price point though. The more I look through it the more I'm beginning to like it for what it is.

As far as the clarity and edge distortion goes it is probably just as good as the Arrowhead, but I still think the Arrowhead is a better optic in the eyebox department, where the Athlon is better in the weight department.

I think im going to keep it for a while on my DPMS Gen ll 308 and see how I like it. If it holds up on that rifle that would be a good thing here.

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have found even what glasses I have on affects the adjustment on the diopter on my scopes.

One thing I have found funny is people complain about a scope lens yet have on a $3 set of throw away safety glasses. Think about this the last thing the light/vision goes through before going in your eye will make s big difference.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have found even what glasses I have on affects the adjustment on the diopter on my scopes.

One thing I have found funny is people complain about a scope lens yet have on a $3 set of throw away safety glasses. Think about this the last thing the light/vision goes through before going in your eye will make s big difference.
View Quote

Yes this also will affect your view. Before I had to start wearing prescriptions I noticed a big difference with low and higher quality shooting glasses.

This also goes for how good your prescription shooting or regular glasses are too.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top