Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 7:19:37 AM EST
I'm building an upper on a Compass Lake lower. I already have a CL match rifle and wanted a rifle to shoot informally and for practice using 55-69 gr bullets. Since I use a sling, the rifle should have a free float tube. I saw a Rock River with a CM 20" Wilson air gauged barrel upper but it's not chrome lined or HBAR. How many rounds can be fired through a non- chrome barrel before accuracy declines. Should I go with the Bushmaster chrome lined barrel or the RRA? Advice please.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:52:58 AM EST
IIRC, some of RRs barrels can be ordered with chrome lining..i'm not sure about your specific barrel tho
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:42:04 AM EST
There is not really a WHOLE lot of difference between chrome lined and chrome moly. Chrome moly barrels are usually a tad more accurate while chrome lined generally are easier to clean/maintain. However, the amount of rounds you can put through them before they are toast is generally pretty close. Chrome lined barrels might have a little bit of advantage but not by much.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:11:14 PM EST
For a blaster rifle I would go chrome lined. Chrome lined has a much longer life, easier to clean, and is easier for extraction. For a target gun go stainless.

IDHunt

--
The Bill of Rights: Void Where Prohibited by Law

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:41:37 PM EST
Isn't chrome lining suppose to be less of a hassle to break in. I've always thought that you really didn't have to break one in, and that was one of the reasons our Military uses them.??????
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:52:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By DBAR:
Isn't chrome lining suppose to be less of a hassle to break in. I've always thought that you really didn't have to break one in, and that was one of the reasons our Military uses them.??????

With a chrome lined barrel, just shoot 200 (or more) rounds and that's it for the initial break in.
Top Top