Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 8:19:37 AM EDT
I'm building an upper on a Compass Lake lower. I already have a CL match rifle and wanted a rifle to shoot informally and for practice using 55-69 gr bullets. Since I use a sling, the rifle should have a free float tube. I saw a Rock River with a CM 20" Wilson air gauged barrel upper  but it's not chrome lined or HBAR. How many rounds can be fired through a non- chrome barrel before accuracy declines.  Should I go with the Bushmaster chrome lined barrel or the RRA? Advice please.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, some of RRs barrels can be ordered with chrome lining..i'm not sure about your specific barrel tho
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
There is not really a WHOLE lot of difference between chrome lined and chrome moly.  Chrome moly barrels are usually a tad more accurate while chrome lined generally are easier to clean/maintain.  However, the amount of rounds you can put through them before they are toast is generally pretty close.  Chrome lined barrels might have a little bit of advantage but not by much.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#3]
For a blaster rifle I would go chrome lined.  Chrome lined has a much longer life, easier to clean, and is easier for extraction.  For a target gun go stainless.  

IDHunt

--
The Bill of Rights: Void Where Prohibited by Law

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't chrome lining suppose to be less of a hassle to break in.  I've always thought that you really didn't have to break one in, and that was one of the reasons our Military uses them.??????
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Isn't chrome lining suppose to be less of a hassle to break in.  I've always thought that you really didn't have to break one in, and that was one of the reasons our Military uses them.??????

With a chrome lined barrel, just shoot 200 (or more) rounds and that's it for the initial break in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top