Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2015 9:09:36 PM EDT
I'm wanting to purchase my first AR15 and look to spend between $800-$1300 what kind of quality will I get for this?  What brand do you recommend?
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
welcome coach...start reading the threads in this section. this has been covered extensively. some good info below
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#2]
1.  Welcome.

Link Posted: 1/5/2015 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on what you want. If I were you I'd buy an upper off BCM and build a lower with your favorite roll mark. Daniel Defense, Spikes Tactical and of course a BCM are all well respected around here. Myself I went for a Windham Weaponry and added an eotech and a few mags for about your budget.

Remember you need a case, mags and ammo too
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:37:11 PM EDT
[#4]
All the major manufacturers are making great AR's now days.  I went with DPMS, extra mags, a spare parts kit, a carrying case and a bunch of ammo and came in just over your $800 lower limit. Been shooting it for a long time and am totally happy with it. Choose one You like. Only YOU can make YOU happy
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 11:43:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are not against ordering on line, you can put together a complete upper and lower from Palmetto State Armory.  You can get a lot of gun for $800.  If you have to buy locally, look at the S&W M&P Sport for around $600 or you can go with a Colt 6920 in the $850-$900 range.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 12:09:12 AM EDT
[#6]
With the top end of your budget, I'd get the Bravo Company upper of your dreams. You'd probably have enough left over for a PSA complete lower to mate it to. Buy ammo and mags when you scrape together another couple of hundred bucks.

The getting is good right now.  Lowest prices ever. Go with a BCM upper and then see what shakes out.

Obviously, you're not me and what you like and want are different. However, as an example, here's something I might do:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/2416/category/4282/

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/magpul-pmag-m3-mag557-blk.html

This comes with a FREE BCG!
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-KeyMod-Upper-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw-mi-sskg212.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Folding-Battle-Sight-Front-p/bcm%20front%20sight%20rail%20mount%20m4.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Folding-Battle-Sight-REAR-p/bcm%20rear%20sight%20troy.htm

Add a BCM charging handle of your choice and you'd have the most bad-ass, green-with-fucking-envy AR-15 in the neighborhood.

Link Posted: 1/6/2015 1:02:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Welcome. Don't forget to check the Florida group in the Hometown section.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the information I will do  you my best to pick the right one.. Not sure I'm ready yet to build one though
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Where do I find that at?  I'm still trying to navigate around this site
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 11:16:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where do I find that at?  I'm still trying to navigate around this site
View Quote

Florida

"Hometown" along the top > Florida
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:42:09 AM EDT
[#11]
my current fixation for a build right now is a rifle length 18 inch.

like this one. http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-SPR-KMR-KEYMOD-p/bcm-urg-18-ss410-kmr15.htm

drop it on a complete lower  with your favorite stock and start saving for some good glass. ACOG's are cool and i really like them, but with a nice 18 inch stainless barrel a good variable scope may give you an amazing rifle

the B5 systems sopmod stocks are highly recommended around here, including by me, $60-100ish depending if you want battery storage or not. or you could get one on your lower already, it's the model with no storage, if that matters to you. didn't matter to me personally.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lowers/psa-ar-15-complete-b5-sopmod-bravo-lower-no-magazine-coyote-brown.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/18920/s/psa-ar-15-complete-b5-sopmod-bravo-lower-no-magazine-black-1/category/4282/

anyways you're well within your budget with a really versatile high quality rifle that isn't just like everyone elses. rifle length gas systems are proven and reliable, and much less recoil than a carbine length, and still a bit of an improvement over a mid length system.

that's how i'd do it myself right now. of course 18 inch guns aren't for everyone and you may want a 14.5 pinned to keep it nice and short. good luck with whatever you choose.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 2:41:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I live right up the road from Palmetto State Armory, I have spent thousands there.  I bought my first AR from them and have built 2 since then. At this point in time, I would say it is cheaper to buy one from them then try to build one yourself.  Their quality is great, and you cant beat their prices.  Make sure you go with an actual PSA rifle and not a PTAC one if you go with them.  PTAC is also manufactured in Columbia SC right up the road from them but their quality control standards are lower.  PSA does have slow shipping but other than that I love dealing with them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:07:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the information I will do  you my best to pick the right one.. Not sure I'm ready yet to build one though
View Quote

With a few tools, and a little patience it is very gratifying and relatively easy to do.  Beauty is you can hand pick where to spend your cash such as trigger and barrel.  Lots of regular sales on parts too.  I vote for build!  At least the lower.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#14]
You can build a lower with basic tools and then just buy a complete upper. That's where I started.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 2:09:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Times have changed. I remember not so long ago people would say get a 6920 and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Times have changed. I remember not so long ago people would say get a 6920 and be done with it.
View Quote

get a 6920 and be done with it
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Your first should be a Colt.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, this is your first gun? Look no further than this.

Then broaden your horizons once you have done that and shot a good bit.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Welcome aboard. Seriously just buy a Colt and be done with it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 3:28:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
1.  Welcome.

View Quote

I haven't clicked your links yet, but I know you're a smart man so i'm going to guess your links are Colt and FN

I lose.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I may be able to help you in that department. I actually manufacture AR's in that price zone. Come and check us out at Combat Shooters on FaceBook and our website  
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Welcome to the forum !!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Welcome.

You cant go wrong with that budget, honestly.

Best of luck.

NIMOY
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Intacto arms. I think you can get a 1/4 battle rifle for that price
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Colt 6720, or BCM upper and a lower of your choice.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:10:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I think that Daniel Defense is VERY GOOD and is in that price range.  That is what I would go with .
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top