Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2015 2:22:48 PM EDT
I'm buying a new AR and want a quality one with a few requirements. My budget is $1700

1. I want a forged one capable of chewing steel ammo without major problems or broken extractor

2. A rifle length AR, 16-18 inches with a flat top and flat top gas block

3. .223 and 5.56

4. Id prefer a midweight to lightweight rifle that would be accurate, subMOA if possible. Also the more mapgul gear the better. If possible a keymod rail

I wanted a wilson combat tactical but it's a little north of my price  point, doesn't handle steel well and I don't like the rail. Is there anything that matches what I want?
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Sounds like you need to build one. Not really build but put together. IMO you are describing a bcm rifle. Buy one of their assembled uppers, plenty to choose from. Get the bcm bcg and charging handle. Rainier sells complete bcm lowers. Add your magpul stock and mbus pro sights and whatever optic you choose. Done.

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#2]

LaRue accuracy is known world-wide. The accuracy of each LaRue Rifle is proven at our 100-yard tunnel using match-grade ammunition. No LaRue firearm can leave the facility unless it obtains accuracy of less-than 1 MOA (1.047”) at 100 Yards. Each firearm ships with a copy of a 3-round group obtained from that actual firearm. While we guarantee the rifle is capable of sub-MOA accuracy, we can not guarantee the end-user will be able to shoot sub-MOA…since we have no control over shooting proficiency, familiarity with the system, ammunition choice, environmental factors, etc. LaRue firearms are precision instruments that require discipline, training, proper ammunition and maintenance to yield the best results.

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I recommend reading one of the many threads just like this.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

LaRue accuracy is known world-wide. The accuracy of each LaRue Rifle is proven at our 100-yard tunnel using match-grade ammunition. No LaRue firearm can leave the facility unless it obtains accuracy of less-than 1 MOA (1.047”) at 100 Yards. Each firearm ships with a copy of a 3-round group obtained from that actual firearm. While we guarantee the rifle is capable of sub-MOA accuracy, we can not guarantee the end-user will be able to shoot sub-MOA…since we have no control over shooting proficiency, familiarity with the system, ammunition choice, environmental factors, etc. LaRue firearms are precision instruments that require discipline, training, proper ammunition and maintenance to yield the best results.

Larue is awesome no doubt. But op said he wants to chew up steel case ammo. I wouldn't shoot steel case out of a Larue. Bcm is some durable shit, and my 14.5 is accurate as can be. Op, don't worry about wearing out an extractor. They are cheap and will eventually need replaced any way. Easy as pie to change out.

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
You are very helpful turbineguy.

Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Rifle length gas system is not appropriate for a 16" barrel.  Possible but not really ideal for an 18" barrel.  Midlength is what I'd recommend for a 16" barrel.

There are probably 100 rifles on the market that would be suitable for you, one I'd suggest you look at is the S&W MP15 Magpul edition.  It doesn't have a rail handguard though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#8]

+1, great choice for a well built and reliable rifle.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
http://www.laruetactical.com/18inch-larue-tactical-predatar-556

View Quote

This looks like what I want. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 4:31:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just stick to the ones so far this year, otherwise there will be too many to read.

Otherwise just get a Colt 6920 and be done/happy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 4:53:04 PM EDT
[#11]

This also looks good
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Larue is awesome no doubt. But op said he wants to chew up steel case ammo. I wouldn't shoot steel case out of a Larue. Bcm is some durable shit, and my 14.5 is accurate as can be. Op, don't worry about wearing out an extractor. They are cheap and will eventually need replaced any way. Easy as pie to change out.

he said he wants to spend 1700 dollars so he can shoot shitty steel ammo and he wants us to tell him what to get without doing any research.  He needs to spend every cent of that 1700.

Meanwhile in reality, I wont shoot steel out of my $600 KISS builds.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top