Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/8/2005 6:37:16 PM EDT
A friend of mine has a Colt flat top upper, 16 inch barrel, non M4 type, and was using it with an Aimpoint Reflex sight. He hacked off the front sight post. HHH I might think about using it, but is the front sight base easily replacable? I am told by a reliable source the front post cannot be replaced accurately by the factory at Colt. Yankee Hill Machine ? GG&G ?

What can I do, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:59:18 PM EDT
dude, there's more than one of "them".... or maybe your friend was the previous owner of an SKS i had for awhile. i bought this rifle (it was CHEAP) that someone had decided to convert to a "scope only" model. they didn't cut the FSB off, just removed and discarded it. where the back sight would be - there was a big flat spot and GRIND MARKS they actually ground the spot for the rear sight all the way off so it was impossible to replace the "leaf"

i brought the weapon back from the dead and used it 'til i sold it (got an AK), but to this day wonder WTF goes through some people's minds.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:09:10 PM EDT
To answer the question.. replacing a regular A2 FSB is a less than 10 minute job with the right tools.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:09:57 PM EDT
In order for me to use this upper assembly on duty at my department, I must have iron sights in addition to the reflex sight(s), or Aimpoint(s) I might use. Getting a back up rear sight is easy, but what about the front? Can it be cut and machined into a dovetail? Then use a removable front sight? If so, what are the measurments ?

OR,

Take off the whole front post/gas block and use YHM or GG&G gas blocks ? Do they hold up ? I need to know.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:15:50 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:15:51 PM EDT
What are you talking about?

Did he just hack off the sight post itself, or the entire front sight assembly (ie, FSB)?

If it's just the screw-in front sight post, just buy one and screw it in.

If he cut on the front sight base / gas block itself, just buy a new one and have it installed - that's a less than 10 minute job.

-z
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:17:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 7:19:02 PM EDT by SgtWhiting]
The gas block portion of the sight is still there, but the "A" post was cut horizontally thus removing the front sight. Gun still functions, just no sight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:21:58 PM EDT
Any idea what to replace it with ? Factory original or use a fold down front sight?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:30:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SgtWhiting:
Any idea what to replace it with ? Factory original or use a fold down front sight?

What ever you want....
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:43:04 PM EDT

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:50:48 AM EDT
Bushmaster Front Sight

There you go! Less than 10 minute job! Walli
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:19:14 AM EDT
How to align and drill new holes on the FSB to match with the holes on barrel? Im in a perception both the FSB and barrel were drilled together at the factory, drilling a new FSB would need extra patience to make sure you drill it at the right spot. Yes it can be done, but I doubt I can do it in 10 min.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:02:10 AM EDT
Get a new YHM flip up front sight. It has a clamp type mount (and bayo lug) and not only will replace the butchered Colt sight but will be a nice upgrade to the upper. Expect to pay $80.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:43:51 AM EDT
An alternative is to stick a JP iron sight on the handguard. I've tried co-witnessed sights and I find them distracting at speed, especially with non-magnifying optics such as the aimpoint. With an actual scope the front site is detectable as a blur, but doesn't obscure the field of view much at all.

I wouldn't worry about drilling any new holes for the taper pins, in my (limited) experience of 3 builds, they have lined up OK.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:19:05 AM EDT
I like the PRI personally. It's a bit more cash, but the HK-style ring is nice. And, it's super easy to mount. I think that Armalite also makes an A-frame style site that calmps on with screws instead of pins.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:26:43 AM EDT
SGT,
Contact ADCO Firearms (BIGBORE and TheRicker would be the contacts) - they can replace your existing FSB with a new one and turnour has been about a week from the shipping date.

Personally I prefer Fixed front sights for carbines. I think the folding FSBs only 'make sense' on target guns that use a scope 99% of the time - or 'sniper' type setups where the operator will have time to get his irons into action if the optic goes T.U.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:30:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:28:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ipschoser1:
Get a new YHM flip up front sight. It has a clamp type mount (and bayo lug) and not only will replace the butchered Colt sight but will be a nice upgrade to the upper. Expect to pay $80.

+1
Top Top