Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 6:37:16 PM EDT
A  friend of mine has a Colt flat top upper, 16 inch barrel, non M4 type, and was using it with an Aimpoint Reflex sight.   He hacked off the front sight post.  HHH   I might think about using it, but is the front sight base easily replacable?     I am told by a reliable source the front post cannot be replaced accurately by the factory at Colt.  Yankee Hill Machine ?   GG&G ?

What can I do, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.    
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
dude, there's more than one of "them".... or maybe your friend was the previous owner of an SKS i had for awhile.  i bought this rifle (it was CHEAP) that someone had decided to convert to a "scope only" model.  they didn't cut the FSB off, just removed and discarded it.  where the back sight would be - there was a big flat spot and GRIND MARKS  they actually ground the spot for the rear sight all the way off so it was impossible to replace the "leaf"

i brought the weapon back from the dead and used it 'til i sold it (got an AK), but to this day wonder WTF goes through some people's minds.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#2]
To answer the question.. replacing a regular A2 FSB is a less than 10 minute job with the right tools.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
In order for me to use this upper assembly on duty at my department, I must have iron sights in addition to the reflex sight(s), or Aimpoint(s) I might use.   Getting a back up rear sight is easy, but what about the front?  Can it be cut and machined into a dovetail?  Then use a removable front sight?  If so, what are the measurments ?

OR,

Take off the whole front post/gas block and use YHM or GG&G gas blocks ?   Do they hold up ?   I need to know.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#5]
What are you talking about?

Did he just hack off the sight post itself, or the entire front sight assembly (ie, FSB)?

If it's just the screw-in front sight post, just buy one and screw it in.

If he cut on the front sight base / gas block itself, just buy a new one and have it installed - that's a less than 10 minute job.

-z
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#6]
The gas block portion of the sight is still there, but the "A" post was cut horizontally thus removing the front sight.   Gun still functions, just no sight.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Any idea what to replace it with ?  Factory original or use a fold down front sight?  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Any idea what to replace it with ?  Factory original or use a fold down front sight?  

What ever you want....
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Bushmaster Front Sight

There you go! Less than 10 minute job! Walli
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:19:14 AM EDT
[#11]
How to align and drill new holes on the FSB to match with the holes on barrel? Im in a perception both the FSB and barrel were drilled together at the factory, drilling a new FSB would need extra patience to make sure you drill it at the right spot. Yes it can be done, but I doubt I can do it in 10 min.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:02:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Get a new YHM flip up front sight. It has a clamp type mount (and bayo lug) and not only will replace the butchered Colt sight but will be a nice upgrade to the upper. Expect to pay $80.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:43:51 AM EDT
[#13]
An alternative is to stick a JP iron sight on the handguard.  I've tried co-witnessed sights and I find them distracting at speed, especially with non-magnifying optics such as the aimpoint.  With an actual scope the front site is detectable as a blur, but doesn't obscure the field of view much at all.

I wouldn't worry about drilling any new holes for the taper pins, in my (limited) experience of 3 builds, they have lined up OK.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the PRI personally.  It's a bit more cash, but the HK-style ring is nice.   And, it's super easy to mount.   I think that Armalite also makes an A-frame style site that calmps on with screws instead of pins.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#15]
SGT,
Contact ADCO Firearms (BIGBORE and TheRicker would be the contacts) - they can replace your existing FSB with a new one and turnour has been about a week from the shipping date.

Personally I prefer Fixed front sights for carbines.  I think the folding FSBs only 'make sense' on target guns that use a scope 99% of the time - or 'sniper' type setups where the operator will have time to get his irons into action if the optic goes T.U.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:30:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Get a new YHM flip up front sight. It has a clamp type mount (and bayo lug) and not only will replace the butchered Colt sight but will be a nice upgrade to the upper. Expect to pay $80.

+1
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top