Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2012 5:35:57 PM EDT
Quick question: assuming you are a reasonable shooter, what kind of accuracy might you expect at 100 yards with a match trigger, 1-4x scope, and remington "value pack" ammo?

I ask because I have not shot at 100 yards before today, and I got about a hand-sized group with the above setup. I realize that was not optimal, so I just want to know what kind of accuracy I should be aiming for (pun intended).
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#1]
3"

sometimes less, sometimes more
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
here is a milpec gun  with milspec trigger with match ammo at 100 yards

so you can compare

ETA  shot with 4x ACOG
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I would aim for a six inch group, which will continually improve with practice. A six inch group is roughly the average of a male sized grape.Though most AR15s are capable of greater accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have always heard that a 4moa group was the capability of a rack grade rifle with rack grade ammo.  In your case, the ammo will likely be the limiter.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would aim for a six inch group, which will continually improve with practice. A six inch group is roughly the average of a male sized grape.Though most AR15s are capable of greater accuracy.

Sorry, not trying to be a smartass, but a male sized "grape"? Do you mean a male sized fist?
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, not trying to be a smartass, but a male sized "grape"? Do you mean a male sized fist?
Head.

I.E. "Bust em' in the grape".  

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Head.

Thanks for the clarification
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quick question: assuming you are a reasonable shooter, what kind of accuracy might you expect at 100 yards with a match trigger, 1-4x scope, and remington "value pack" ammo?

I ask because I have not shot at 100 yards before today, and I got about a hand-sized group with the above setup. I realize that was not optimal, so I just want to know what kind of accuracy I should be aiming for (pun intended).

As a reasonable shooter, a hand size group at 100 yrds, I would say is great shooting with the setup and ammunition you describe above.  

There are some outstanding shooters on this forum, and they "hand load" or use match ammo for their groups.    So many variables (wind, temp, bullet weight...etc..) to consider.    

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a reasonable shooter, a hand size group at 100 yrds, I would say is great shooting with the setup and ammunition you describe above.  

There are some outstanding shooters on this forum, and they "hand load" or use match ammo for their groups.    So many variables (wind, temp, bullet weight...etc..) to consider.    

Alright, that makes me feel a bit better. I suppose I am too used to seeing the pros with their "one ragged holes." I need to invest in some premium ammo so I can get there myself.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:20:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Head.

Thanks for the clarification

dont worry

after that I felt ashamed at the small size of my "grapes" after I read it
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree, the ammo is the limiting factor there.

Sounds like a reasonable group for that ammo
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:38:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag.

Just free floated.

Going to order a 4-16 PA scope and get some 77 grain loads to see what I can do.

Never been one to do better than 4moa at 100. I want to change that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Was this offhand?

Standing? Prone? Sitting?

From a bench? Did you have a benchrest?

What was the wind?

Was it sunny? Were you shooting into the sun?

How big of a hand? I'm not a small guy by any estimation, and from the tip of my pinkie to the tip of my thumb on my left hand is almost 10" when stretched out. Is this a closed hand? The palm? From middle fingertip to base of the palm?

If you can get a ~6" group offhand from 100 yds, you're doing pretty good IMO. If you're getting that from a bench and benchrest in a calm day with good lighting... Then you might need some practice, lol.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#14]
^^^ what he said

also...how fast were you shooting?  Could you fry bacon on your barrel or handguards after shooting?  If so, slow down.

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep in mind a lot of people here and on the internet fall into the below group-

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/279218_.html

With your ammo, a 10 round group probably ~3.5 inches +- a inch.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm relatively new to shooting the AR (aside from qualifying while in the Air Force), but I've managed to shoot 2.5-5" groups @100y with mine. Kinda depends on whether I'm taking my time and controlling my breathing properly, exercising those fundamentals consistently. I imagine I can do better, and I know the rifle can.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I dont ever shoot value pack ammo. So that part is different.

If you are talking about off hand, I would be happy with what you got. Rested, with a good trigger and 4x mag, You can shoot MOA.

Off handed, I am happy with anything chest sized or smaller, because I suck at off hand shooting.

Thats why I like bipods and prone or bench.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 12:31:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I took an Appleseed two years ago and the goal is to shoot 4 MOA prone.  With a bit of practice you should be able to shoot 4 inch groups at 100 yards with decent factory ammo. You will have to experiment to see what ammo your rifle likes.

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I dont ever shoot value pack ammo. So that part is different.

If you are talking about off hand, I would be happy with what you got. Rested, with a good trigger and 4x mag, You can shoot MOA.

Off handed, I am happy with anything chest sized or smaller, because I suck at off hand shooting.

Thats why I like bipods and prone or bench.

PLUS ONE
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I took an Appleseed two years ago and the goal is to shoot 4 MOA prone.  With a bit of practice you should be able to shoot 4 inch groups at 100 yards with decent factory ammo. You will have to experiment to see what ammo your rifle likes.

I'm trying to talk my buddies into doing a weekend with Appleseed. How was that experience? I think Appleseed sounds like a great concept.

Also, I don't own a .22, but I have a .22 LR AR adapter. Any idea if the course could be completed with this equipment?

Joe
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 7:05:45 PM EDT
[#21]
That's not bad with bargain plinker ammo. Figure that the average center to center is about 1/3 of the max spread and you have 1-2 moa.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:22:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm relatively new to shooting the AR (aside from qualifying while in the Air Force), but I've managed to shoot 2.5-5" groups @100y with mine. Kinda depends on whether I'm taking my time and controlling my breathing properly, exercising those fundamentals consistently. I imagine I can do better, and I know the rifle can.

it can definitely be done with an ar style 22lr but to make life easier on yourself i would suggest getting a thinner front sight post as a standard sized one just made it too hard to consistently hit the 400 meter targets.  the front sight post is easy to change.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Went to the range Saturday and got to shoot some more. Used some Federal Tactical Urban Rifle .223 55gr and got a ten shot group in about 3"

Overall, have to say I'm pleased. Gotta keep working on getting those groups tighter though.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#24]
m&p 15 sport
3x magnifier red dot combo
WalMart American Eagle
100yards
28 in the pink and 2 in the stink
3"orange circle
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u475/James_Nevarez/20120524_125655.jpg
I've had worse days without reason.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:28:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't get too wrapped up into this shooting MOA thing.  Accuracy is always important, but constant hits in the intended target is all that matters.  Practice achieves this.  Try different gr of

bullets. Your rifle might like 62 gr better that 55 gr.  Have fun!

My 1/7 twist DD barrel likes 62 gr better than 55 gr.

5" targets @ 100 yrds

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#26]
3" at 100 with bulk. 1" at 100 from match, and it gets expensive from there. It's a sickness. I've started to load. My "bulk" load will go 2" at 100. Premium hand loads go sub MOA consistently in the right gun.

IMO 3" is very good.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 7:28:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Great ammo will make an average gun look awesome.

Average ammo will a great gun look like crap.

I know it's teh awsum and all to have a HSLD system (and I don't blame you ) but don't ruin the results with average ammo.

I've been reloading for a while so I don't know if they still sell Hornady 55 red box but that was decent 2moa ammo.  Hornady 75 Match (for 1/8 or faster rifling generally speaking) should be easy to find and that is great factory ammo.

I don't know about 100 yards but here is a pic for 600 yards:

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top