Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2007 7:07:43 PM EDT
Ok guys Im not entirely sure I have a problem here and Ive been shooting this rifle for a while in the range of 1000 rounds with no obvious malfunctions.

From the beginning... this rifle was ordered from Bushmaster and assembled at their plant and aside from adding a new stock and typical optics/mounts, it thing has not been worked on. The very first time I shot this rifle, my dad commented on the discoloration of the rounds in my magazine after each shot. There was definitely hot gas blowing through the magazine but I didnt think much of it. He believed the head spacing was off and asked an old military buddy of his about it... he too though the something was wrong. I then asked a few friends of mine about the issue and none of them appeared to question the assembly and said the whole Stoner system is to blame and theres nothing I can do... so I did nothing.

Then a buddy of mine purchased an AR... RRA... and right away I noticed his rifle didnt blow hot gas down the magazine. Now the copper and brass was a little dirty looking after a few rounds but observing them beside mine... you could clearly see the discoloration due to heat was far more obvious in the magazine from my rifle. And the other thing we noticed was the excessive smoke rising out the chamber. Both of us were shooting the same HSM ammo but my rifle was clearly smoking more than his... so that observation combined with the brass/copper discoloration of rounds in the mags of my rifle kinda has me concerned. What do you all think? Send it back to Bushmaster or is there something I can check out myself?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
how much clp/oil do you put on your gun.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds a tad wet... just shoot it more.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
going in blindly off experience, sounds like too much CLP, will smoke for a mag or two
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
What barrel length are you using? What lube ar you using? I doubt its anything with the headspacing. Do you have any pics? Mine does the same thing when I shoot dirty ammo but it has never been a problem.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh right now I am just using the Clean Bore CLP Formula 3.. nothing fancy. I run the rifle fairly dry IMO... no dripping oil and only put it on the bolt face and rails on the carrier assembly. The past couple months I havent cleaned the rifle at all and it still smoked bad.

I guess I can try another version of CLP or Tetra oil. Figured I should use the stuff that came in my cleaning kit since CLP is CLP... as far as I know.

The rifle has a 16 inch barrel and I can take pics next time Im at the range.. no problem there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:41:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Since you are running it pretty dry...what brand of ammo are you using?  Some brand smokes more than other.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#7]
i dont have mine "dripping" wet and it still smokes for the first couple mags, its just the way it is, nothing major and nothing to worry about. Wolf, will smoke more than others as well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Oil the bolt lugs not the bolt face.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
If his rifle is discoloring the rounds in the magazine that doesn't sound like excess CLP smoking off to me.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]
You should prescribe it some Chantix.  

EDIT...my technical guess isn't possible after thinking about it for awhile. I'm guessing it's just the ammo.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#11]
since you said you and someone else is using the same ammo in 2 diferent guns at the same time and only yours is doing it, it is probably a difference in the chamber AND the barrel from yours to his.

in other words it is OK.
one of mine does this slightly also and always has, and it has many more thru it than yours.it also is a bushmaster.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:58:08 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
If his rifle is discoloring the rounds in the magazine that doesn't sound like excess CLP smoking off to me.  

I have known different ammo to smoke in other applications so Im really not too concerned with that issue. What Im really scratching my head over is the discoloration and given my limited experience around these rifles... I simply dont know what is acceptable.

Is the discoloration due to heat a problem I should be concerned with?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I can't believe you are getting enough heat in the magazine to discolor the brass.

It takes a LOT of heat to do that.  A LOT.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top