User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/21/2004 8:33:34 AM EDT
Greetings Citizens:

Share, if you will, how you really use your collapsible stock.  Shoot with it collapsed? Extended? Collapse during transport? Like it because it saves weight? Like it because it resembles weapons in the field?

What say ye?

Ozob
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I have always shot mine extended. Too short and awkward otherwise.

I like my LE6920... cuz I like it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I want it because those who would disarm us say that I can't have it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I want it because those who would disarm us say that I can't have it.

+1
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#5]
You don't NEED it at all. As a matter of fact,  Clint Smith (I drink Kool - Aid) has a lot to say about the detriments.  That said, I have one on my carbine, b/c it WAS preban and it looks cool - and is semi-functional indoors. My 6601 will wear a full stock as I plan to shoot it for accuracy.

Shoot with it collapsed?  - Never

Extended? - Always

Collapse during transport? - Always

Like it because it saves weight? - ??? I don't think it saves a bit of weight.

Like it because it resembles weapons in the field? - Of course...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive done a few training courses at local SWAT Training facilities and when it comes time to run thru the FARM clearing house, I found that closing the stock all the way helps immensely when clearing thru a house.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:05:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You don't NEED it at all. As a matter of fact,  Clint Smith (I drink Kool - Aid) has a lot to say about the detriments....

Not quite sure how having an adjustable LOP stock makes for detrimental performance, but whatever. I have 7-position stocks that are damn handy for shooting in various gear. That adaptability is a real plus to me. The middle position on the 3-pos stocks are rather useless for most, but then you never know when it might come in handy. Like the saying goes, better to have it & not need it, then to need it & not have it.

If the military wants to return to the fixed stock, fine w/ me. I'll happily keep my adjustable LOP stocks. [Latka]Thankyouverymuch[/Latka].
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#8]
All the way in for storage/transport as it will allow me two guns in a case with some cases. Depending on if i'm shooting with or without the vest I use it on the middle position(it's a 3 position stock) if I have the vest on. If I have the vest off I shoot with it fully extended.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I use it second to last pos. most of the time. shorter in winter when I have coat/gear on. My boy's are still little, so they like it in one of the first 2 or three positions. Nice to be able to change the lop at the range.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Ive done a few training courses at local SWAT Training facilities and when it comes time to run thru the FARM clearing house, I found that closing the stock all the way helps immensely when clearing thru a house.  

Ditto.

And you can adjust the length when wearing body armor.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:15:50 AM EDT
[#12]
i do NEED one.  that's why i dropped the extra coin on a pre ban.

i'm a big dude w/ short arms.  pos5 on a 6 is perfect for me.  unless i'm wearing my 3a vest.  then it's shorter.

cosmetic my ass....
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Just to agree with every one else -

I usually go full length for prone, in a bit for standing precision, and in a bit more doing dynamic shooting (even without body armor, you tend to face more toward the target, as opposed to holding the rifle across your chest in a conventional standing position).

It's also great for the ladies and smaller statured guys.  The M16A2 stock length is too long for many shooters.

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't care for the collapsing stock much. I prefer the solid feel of the A2 stock. Unless of course I'm using a 16" or shorter barrel, then I have to go with the collapsing stock for the sake that it looks better on a carbine.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:37:27 AM EDT
[#15]
My Wife needs a shorter LOP than I do, and i sometimes need to vary the LOP when I'm wearing a jacket or pack.

Given that Women are smaller on the average than men. banning adjustable stocks was a purely sexist move. (Thats my story, and I'm sticking with it.)
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Not yet, it should be in today
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I close it for storage.

Use position 3 for offhand shooting.

Use position 5 for prone shooting.

Can change the length of pull to fit different sized shooters.

I don't see how a fixed stock would appeal to me.

+1
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:50:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I  like having  adjustable stock, for various shooting positions, I can now mantain a proper cheek weld  without making  much effort.

For family fun,now everyone can  use same stock &  have it  the length to suit them best.

TG
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Q: Do you really use your collapsable stock?

A: Hell yes!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#20]
yes. plus helps when small shooter like my wife shoot, can adjust to the most compforatble position.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I close it for storage.

Use position 3 for offhand shooting.

Use position 5 for prone shooting.

Can change the length of pull to fit different sized shooters.

I don't see how a fixed stock would appeal to me.

+1

Except I have an A1 stock on my varmint rig
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#23]
One more yes.  I never extend mine unless shooting prone.  I find the fixed stocks (even the A1)  too long for nose-to-handle shooting, especially if you shoot with your shoulders somewhat square to the target.  Middle position works best for me (3 on my 6-pos, 4 on my 4-pos).
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#24]
The A2 on my post-ban is awkward for the wife and kids. A collapsible stock will remedy that issue. After all, the family that shoots together stays together!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't have one yet, but when I get one I'll sure as heck use it.  I currently have the ACE short stock on my carbine.  It fits me well (I'm short, go ahead and make fun).  The full length stocks just don't work well for me.

I would have gotten one the minute the ban expired, but I just love that damn ACE stock!  I have a feeling I may just have to get a whole new rifle...isn't that the first symptom of Black Rifle disease?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 11:38:44 AM EDT
[#26]
I was 11 when I got mine so I started shooting it in the middle position.  Now I shoot in full position only, unless bumping.  I always store hung on wall in collasped postion.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:02:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I wear armor everyday (standard or level 4).  In addition to that, I am clearing houses/ apartments/ alleys/ schools/factories etc.. almost daily.   A standard stock is a joke for serious CQB style work.

I guess if you only play at the range, it isn't an issue.  If you play for keeps, the adjustable stock is a must.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:36:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I just collapse them for storage or to put in a smaller bag...I shoot with them fully extended. As a result, I don't mind the old Colt 2 position stocks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Talk to anyone thats issued body armor, espeically military, and ask them if they like the A2 stock.

I hated it with body armor. Its way too long as it is. One my civy weapon I use a Cav Arms A1 stock and its the right length for most encounters.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:43:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I sold mine yesterday.    

Much prefer a fixed A1 stock but my rifle is a dedicated plinker/bench gun not a tool.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:56:19 PM EDT
[#32]
When shooting from a standing position, I use the stock 1 notch out with normal clothing, and fully collapsed with tac vest. When shooting prone, I use the stock 4 or 5 notches out.

I have never seen anyone shooting with an A2 stock using a proper COMBAT stance, unless they were very tall. When using an A2 stock, most shooters will either turn in a bladed sporting stance, or have their face too far from the rear sight.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:17:04 PM EDT
[#33]
I shoot mine either in position #2 or #3 on my four position receiver extension.  It all just depends what type of clothing I'm wearing.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:22:44 PM EDT
[#34]
I find it easier to carry around with the adjustable stock. However, when shooting, It's always fully extended + locked.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#35]
A carbine just looks right with a collapsable stock!

Besides.......

I live out in the country. We have a Coyote problem. Here in Colorado it's perfectly legal to carry (even locked and loaded) in a motor vehicle. I always carry in my pickup, and a collapsable stock is a hell of a lot handier, even more so when I stow my carbine behind the seat, as I do when I'm heading into town.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Yup, shorter for when I'm wearing winter clothing and for storage (2 collapsed-stock AR's fit well in a larger takedown shotgun case).

It's definitely about ergonomics - we should have OSHA/NIOSH do a study on LEO/military who use fixed vs. variable length stocks and the prevalence of musculoskeletal injuries/sprains/strains related to both groups.

-DE
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Is your car seat adjustable, then why shouldn't your stock be? We are all diferent sizes and shapes, plus we wear differant cloths through out the year. It just makes sense to have some adjustiblity.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:15:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I took my 11-year-old son to the range with me last week, and I handed him my newly assembled LMT MRP with Magpul M93A stock.

I collapsed it and handed it to him, saying "Now, you can shoot this with me and it won't be so hard to aim."

As he held it, he looked up at me and said, "Wow Dad, you got this so me and you can take turns?  You are so awesome!"

I almost cried right there.  Yes, it was worth every penny I paid for it.  And I hadn't even considered that benefit for him when I bought it.  One of those eye-opening moments in life...
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 3:34:11 PM EDT
[#39]
I just de-banned my carbine w/ a M93...I love my favorite toy even more!  I can't imagine ever going back to an A2 for a carbine again.  It's so much more comfortable to shoot/carry.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I didn't think I would use it, but it turns out i use

1. storage
2. don't
3. to increase accurate standing
4. to increase accurate sitting
5. for comfort

Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I keep mine closed when storing or sometimes leave it that way when shooting. It depends on whether I'm standing or prone and which AR I'm shooting. I'm using Magpul stocks so I just preset the length for what I use the rifle for.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Yes graet for storsge and open when in use and with a 6 posistion I can adjust the legnth of pull acording to the clothes I wear.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm a AK fanatic, so I find the my AR with the 4pos. stock most comfortable in pos #2..
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#44]
I use it when I am on the scent...walking around on the back 40 and you spook a crook, like wiley ground hog or rabbit with the stock on the 2nd position out you can walk with both eys open, one on the sites and scan.

Works great, even with no armor.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:45:20 PM EDT
[#45]
all my are 6 pos stocksyes i do shoot my all most shut on and on the bench it is open all the way open
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Damn right I use it,
to piss off the anti's
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#47]
I like it because now that the AWB is gone, I can conceal my 14.5" barreled, minimum of 26" rifle in my waistband.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Fully extended for my bigger, younger son.  One notch in from fully ext for me, two in from full ext for my daughter.  And collapsed for transport or storage.  Yes, I use it, just like I use the adjustable seat and adjustable mirrors in my car.

DiFi and Chuckie, it is called ERGONOMICS.  Ditto with the pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:48:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I like the reduced weight, and think it would be very useful when clearing a building.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I rarely collapse mine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top