Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2007 4:05:58 PM EDT
I've got the 18" bull and was wanting something lighter.  Who makes replacement .308 barrels for a dpms?  Who could flute/turn down my barrel?
Are there any other options?

Thnks
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Randall will turn it down. ar15barrels.com
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:34:20 PM EDT
[#2]
height=8
Quoted:
I've got the 18" bull and was wanting something lighter.  Who makes replacement .308 barrels for a dpms?  Who could flute/turn down my barrel?
Are there any other options?

DPMS makes replacement barrels including one fluted but IFIRC they're out of stock'

Thnks
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
check with compass lake, krieger and other like that, as I recall at least half of them do.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Advanced Barrel Systems, or JP Rifles.   Both are very accurate and will take pounds off of your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm very satisfied with the accuracy of the DPMS barrel.  Just want something lighter.  Having it turned down would be the cheapest alternative.  Does anyone know the weight savings with the fluted dpms barrel?

Has anyone had their barrel turned down? Do you turn it down under the gas block or just after?  How does it affect accuracy
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
before and after the block. 1 1/2 lb isn't out of the question
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Be aware that turning down the outside of the barrel will cause the metal to "relax" and expand the bore diameter.  This is especially true if it is not a cut rifled barrel.  Unfortunately in the case of ARs it means that the bore will be loose except just ahead of the chamber, and at the gas block.  I have a theory that the accuracy of most bull barrels is due more to their outside profile uniformity than to stiffness.  Check out  Stewart Wilsons AR-10 work at shooterready.com for a properly profiled, lightweight, accurate barrel.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Be aware that turning down the outside of the barrel will cause the metal to "relax" and expand the bore diameter.  This is especially true if it is not a cut rifled barrel.  Unfortunately in the case of ARs it means that the bore will be loose except just ahead of the chamber, and at the gas block.  I have a theory that the accuracy of most bull barrels is due more to their outside profile uniformity than to stiffness.  Check out  Stewart Wilsons AR-10 work at shooterready.com for a properly profiled, lightweight, accurate barrel.

Montana? interesting.  Work with barrels on a daily basis? Seems as if I just read an article on barrel making that had a similar theory if the barrel wasn't properly heat treated to relax the stress, and I'm sure these that we discuss aren't.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Montana? interesting.  Work with barrels on a daily basis? Seems as if I just read an article on barrel making that had a similar theory if the barrel wasn't properly heat treated to relax the stress, and I'm sure these that we discuss aren't.

I don't work with barrels at all, but it's something that I've been very interested in for some time and something that I would like do in the future.  I read a very in depth article about internal bore consistiency and barrel lapping in the publication The Accurate Rifle.  I have also seen first hand the results of turning down a barrel without going through all the cryogenic treatment processes before, durring, and after machining.  You could feel the tight and loose areas in the bore when running a patch through it to clean it.  It was tight just ahead of the chamber, at the gas block, and loose everywhere else.  It was not only innaccurate, it was also no longer straight!  I don't want to name any names, but it was about a 600 dollar barrel.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:36:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't work with barrels at all, but it's something that I've been very interested in for some time and something that I would like do in the future.  I read a very in depth article about internal bore consistiency and barrel lapping in the publication The Accurate Rifle.  I have also seen first hand the results of turning down a barrel without going through all the cryogenic treatment processes before, durring, and after machining.  You could feel the tight and loose areas in the bore when running a patch through it to clean it.  It was tight just ahead of the chamber, at the gas block, and loose everywhere else.  It was not only innaccurate, it was also no longer straight!  I don't want to name any names, but it was about a 600 dollar barrel.  

I thought you might be connected with Lilja.  
If Lilja turns the blank to the finish contour it will be done correctly but, It is still a button barrel. I'll use button barrels on a range gun but not for a barrel that I plan to be a cold shot accurate barrel.  I think Krieger is the way to go for a cold shot barrel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Could you use Armalite barrels in the DPMS without any issues?
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#12]
You need to use the gas tube that matches the barrel. Armalite barrel, Armalite tube.
It seems like there's 3/8" difference. EDIT check on the barrel extension. One of the guys at Krieger just told me there was a difference but he could not remember what.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top