Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Posted: 10/18/2008 2:54:42 PM EDT
So, I've been researching and reading, and finally came down to my ultimate AR-15 on model1sales.com after just picking up my lower from a local shop.  I just can't decide between a stainless steel barrel, or a chrome lined chamber or bore (which doesn't let me select barrel type).

Can any you offer opinions/suggestions for my dilemma here?  What is the key difference between the two options?  Which setup will last longer through rugged/harsh use, should it be used as such?

THANKS!
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:08:33 PM EDT
What is your use for the rifle going to be?

Chrome lined barrels theoritically will last longer, are easier to clean, they will take a little more abuse with higher ROF & help protect the bore. However, there will be some accuracy loss but I doubt it's enough for a range plinker to notice.

SS barrels are nice for the match shooter because they are generally more accurate but they will not last as long under harsh use.

I don't plink & I don't shoot matches. I shoot strictly because of my work so it's all chrome lined for me. I would still recommend chrome lined for anyone regardless if you want to pay a little extra for it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 4:47:27 PM EDT
Chrome is a highly effective lubricant surface treatment. Especially important in an autoloader, the chrome chamber can add to feeding/extraction function. In other words, chrome will slick up the chamber providing improved function.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:26:31 PM EDT
height=8
Originally Posted By warpig8654:

Chrome lined barrels theoritically will last longer, are easier to clean, they will take a little more abuse with higher ROF & help protect the bore. However, there will be some accuracy loss but I doubt it's enough for a range plinker to notice.

SS barrels are nice for the match shooter because they are generally more accurate but they will not last as long under harsh use.

I don't plink & I don't shoot matches. I shoot strictly because of my work so it's all chrome lined for me. I would still recommend chrome lined for anyone regardless if you want to pay a little extra for it.

My primary use will be targeting, plinkng, and self defense/tactical.  Basically a ginsu of home defense usage.  From your post I get the impression that chrome lined is probably the best for my needs... Correct?
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 6:51:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lipmonger:

Originally Posted By warpig8654:

My primary use will be targeting, plinkng, and self defense/tactical.  Basically a ginsu of home defense usage.  From your post I get the impression that chrome lined is probably the best for my needs... Correct?

You can't go wrong with a chrome lined chamber & bore for anything that mentioned. As some the more hip arfcom members always say in the chrome line threads..."Go chrome or go home."
Top Top