BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 7:24:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow!  Was that a reload?  If so, you know the details?  I can't believe that's a factory AE load.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#2]
pic isn't showing up for me
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#3]
That's more than just a case failure.  That's a case failure due to high pressure.  Notice how much brass has flowed back into the ejector hole.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#4]
damn, another reason that eye protection is a must.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#5]
thats the third post on this website in the last month about federal ammo messing up really bad...
maybe not so good?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#6]

How often do you see Federal going out like that?

Other manufacturers?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
tag for more details
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

A friend sent me these pics today. Luckily he wasnt injured. This was a federal cartridge.

www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/cf_1.jpg
www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/cf_2.jpg
www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/cf_3.jpg
www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/cf_4.jpg
www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/cf_5.jpg
www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/cf_6.jpg
www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/cf_7.jpg

What's the make on the upper? Sort-of looks Colt-ish???????? Whatever the make it did a pretty good job of holding together considering all hell broke loose.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]
This is what happens when you use a M4 feed ramped barrel with non m4 feed ramped upper!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]
That is an interesting point.^
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Ouch.

Hope After further reading, Glad nobody was hurt.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I was getting a little concerned today about the same thing.....

A freind of mine was shooting hollow points and some of the rounds were jamming getting pushed back in the casing witch I know leads to this.....

So i was a bit leary of him shooting  them and advised he get full metal jackets like i was shooting .... XM193.....

At least it was a no injury situation and I wonder if a round got pushed in a little during cycling and thats what caused your friends malfunction?

ouch on the 60's 20rd mag ....

Capone
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow! Goood thing your friend wasn't hurt. I does pay to wear eye protection at all times.  It seems rather strange for that to have happened with factory loaded ammunition, but is not outside of the realm of possibility.

That is a clear case of case rupturing; probably the round was loaded with too much powder or the round was seated to deep into the casing, causing that to happen.

All I say is that it is probably one round that got away from the folks at the Quality Control Department.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
This is what happens when you use a M4 feed ramped barrel with non m4 feed ramped upper! hr

Good catch on the feed ramps...But having an M4 barrel extension on a regular upper receiver should not affect case failure in any way.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Glad he is ok.

Looking at the primer it looks like a reload to me
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:56:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Good to hear hes ok...

Who pays for that? Is it eatin by the customer? Thats not right if it is...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Federal brass does have a reputation for being soft and thin-headed.  It can't take too many reloads or high pressure.  I've reloaded some, but I always segregate it from LC/Win and then I download it a bit.

That last picture is quite telling.  Not sure what the starting status was, but you can see where the case walls thinned to just a hair and that's where the head separation occurred.  That's indicative of too much headspace or sizing the brass too much.  I'm also wondering how just a chunk, and not the whole head, came off, and that the primer is still in the case.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:00:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:46:52 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This is the first time it was hand loaded(not reloaded), and if you look at the primer, the edges are still round. Had it been loaded too hot/pressure issue, the primer would have flattened out before the case gave out.

Maybe you should add in the original post that this was not a "Factory Load"
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Brass colored primer.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top