Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2004 11:48:41 AM EDT
I had a chance this moring to go out to the range and shoot my new toy. It started off well by seeing what kinda groups it would throw. With reloads I was getting 1" groups consistantly.  The about the 5th loading of my 9 round mag. when it was empty the bolt did not hold open, nor did it close!!  Apparently the bolt has bent the cheapo bolt catch model 1 sends out with their kits.  The next flaw was the happer spring it had was to big to get in the gap to hold the trigger pin in. Luckily I had all the parts to correct the problems.   So for model 1 I would give them maybe a 6.5-7 out of 10 on thier kits. RRA lowers,  still not sure if they suck or not,  everything is starting to work fine, except it still takes a delrin hammer to put this puppie back together which is a relly good thing maybe.  The next AR I build will be maybe a model 1 upper since it is super,  and either bushy or DPMS lower kit.

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks man!  Glad to hear that it wasn't permanent. I was going to order one of thier kits but now I might hold out for a Bushie or RRA.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#2]
kells.

just give model 1 sales a call, they have the new parts out to you in no time. I think u just received one that was badly heat treated. Things like that happen....

halik
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#3]
IMHO RRA is in the top two of lower receivers produced at this time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
no need to give them a call,  I got good parts off my colt.  It was kinda stressfull at first till I figured out what was wrong.  Dont not order their kit,  hell I give them kudo's,  just order a good set of lower parts from someone else!  I plan on ordering from them again,  just dont plan on using a lower set from them again.

My suped up high tech to heavy to carry AR,      
Most of a colt, come of JP, some DPMS, some RRA

My new fangled lil light (busted parts) cheapo gun  
RRA/model 1
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:33:43 AM EDT
[#6]
kells 81,

I like that wood butstock!  here
Glad you got your kit fixed.  I want to get good parts my first time around, but there's always a chance of some bad stuff.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#7]
That sucks you had problems with your gun on a trip to the range. I was able to take my Model1 M4gery out this last Saturday May 8th. It shot great! I didn't have any problems at all.....except for my C-Mag. I didn't know that the 55 JHP would get stuck on the front of the loader. The 62 grain FMJ rounds fed great and I didn't have any problems after that. The 55 grain HP fed great out of a standard 30 round magazine. I have a detachable carry handle and a cheap little red dot 0 magnifycation optic I had to sight in. I got them pretty close but instead of getting them dead on I got them close enough for now then I just played after that. The clay pidgeons down range about 85 yards didn't stand a chance.....nor did the empty "e-machines" computer case!! I made a mistake by only buying up 200 rounds. They went way too quickly! he
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a Model 1 lower parts kit in one of my AR's. It sucked!

I had to sand down the selector to get it to fit.
Then I had to replace the bolt catch.
Then I had to replace the hammer because it was out of spec.
Then I had to replace the disco.
And now it needs a new trigger! Those parts are absolute shit. I ordered a complete RRA kit for my latest build and it was flawless.

I will only buy RRA, DPMS or Bushy lower parts from now on.

KELLS...WHERE DID YOU GET THAT WOOD STOCK? Brownell's??? I think I might want one of those.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like a JP stock.  www.jprifles.com/RifleStocks.shtml
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 5:23:01 AM EDT
[#10]
It is a JP stock,  but you should also look at the DPMS one,  it is blue  or the one i seen anyways,   it looks super cool.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 7:43:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I was noticing that the difference in price for a Model 1 Sales CAR-15 upper with bolt/carrier and the CAR-15 kit is only $40.  I guess that might explain the quality (or lack thereof) of the lower receiver parts.  The Bushy, DPMS, and RRA lower parts kits go for around $60-$65 and that doesn't include the buttstock assembly as I'm sure you all are quite aware.

This thread came at a very opportune time for me, as I was getting ready to go for the Model 1 kit.  I will still most likely go for the kit as it appears that even if I buy the kit plus the extra lower parts kit from RRA or DPMS, I'm still saving money over purchasing just the upper assembly complete with bolt/carrier and getting the stock and lower parts seperately.  (It looks like this has to do mostly with the cost of the stock assembly when purchased seperately.)

Good thread!  Most informative.

Karl
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:29:12 AM EDT
[#12]
The stock I got from Model 1 is decent,   just not legal!     Its not to bad,   the ARFX E or whatever is kinda better,  I wish it was a cunthair longer maybe.  but good stuff either way.  Maybe next build will use M&A and try them,  have got a barrel from them before that I liked so will have to see.  (prolly next month will report on thier quality)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top