Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2014 9:13:26 PM EDT
My second build has an AAC 16" carbine 300 blackout upper. After 16 rounds down the pipe, the bolt/BCG and charging handle get stuck in forward most position. It takes all of my strength pulling back on CH to get it to cycle and free everything. I have never heard of this before and it now continues to occur, please help. Thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:42:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Factory ammo or reloads?
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:11:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Obviously make your rifle clear and safe then check to see if primers are dislodging from the spent brass into your lower receiver preventing normal operation.  I would also look the entire rifle over to ensure everything is in order/spec.
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can you manually cycle the action freely when there is no cartridge or empty casing left in the chamber?  

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My second build has an AAC 16" carbine 300 blackout upper. After 16 rounds down the pipe, the bolt/BCG and charging handle get stuck in forward most position. It takes all of my strength pulling back on CH to get it to cycle and free everything. I have never heard of this before and it now continues to occur, please help. Thank you in advance!

Can you manually cycle the action freely when there is no cartridge or empty casing left in the chamber?  

CY6
Greg Sullivan "Sully"
SLR15 Rifles
TheDefensiveEdge.com
(763) 712-0123

Yes, it cycles normally without ammo but does feel as if it's sticking a little when bolt is closed - nothing as hard as when it's locked up after firing a round though. It fired the first 16 rounds fine and that's when the problem started after that
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Factory Barnes Vortex 110 gr TTSX ammo
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Obviously make your rifle clear and safe then check to see if primers are dislodging from the spent brass into your lower receiver preventing normal operation.  I would also look the entire rifle over to ensure everything is in order/spec.
View Quote

I tore it down and field inspected it twice and didn't see anything unusual. Going through a divorce so had to drop it off at storage build on way home. I will go by there in a bit and check it out again and report back
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Didn't make it by there today so it will be tomorrow before I can look at it again
Link Posted: 3/15/2014 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Clean your chamber really well with brush and break clean. Re-lube it and the entire BCG. During the break in of a new BCG mine is wet when I am  running it for the first hundred or so rounds.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 1:01:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Check your gas rings.  Buddy had a jacked up Fail Zero BCG that was brand new and did that same thing.  Turns out the machining for the bolt was terrible, had a burr that chewed up the rings after about 15-20 rounds.  After a bout with TERRIBLE customer service they finally replaced it for him.

I also had one lock up on me but there was a burr on the new cam pin.  Once I found that and smoothed it it's been fine ever since.

While checking the bolt and you have it out of the BCG insert it into the barrel extension and make it goes in and twists without issue to ensure there arent really tight tolerances that are locking things up after it warms up.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks guys

I did make it by the storage building and disassembled the BCG and viewed into feed ramps etc and I could not find a single thing wrong. Sorry it has taken me so long but even though this is important to me, this divorce takes a higher priority over it.

I'm at the point where I think I'm just going to have to run another box of expensive factory ammo through it just to see if it does it again.

If you think of anything else I should look at, please share and thank you in advance!
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the chamber out of spec/too tight?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Do some dry-fire breaking in, too... Lube the BCG, charge & dry fire.  That'll at least get the surfaces on the upper/BCG/lower "mated" and smooth out the action some.

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top