Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 4:44:12 PM EDT
This is my plan. I am going to use a CAV receiver and build a super light weight ar. Now the only thing i am undecided about it the barrel. What should I use?  I would like to use this for shooting targets. I will be primarily shooting light bullets 65gr and under. Now I would like to be able to shoot alot at once, but how much of  a difference will I notice between a heavy barrel that is fluted and a super small profile barrel? Another thing, the barrel has to be stainless steel, and I want it to be 14 inches with or without a muzzle break. I am thinking it will be 12 inches plus a 2 inch muzzle break. Does anyone know who makes stainless breaks? I like the design of the bushy miny comp. So I need some suggestions on what i should do for a barrel. And a good place to buy one. I dont want to spend more than 200 on the barrel and 50 on the break. Thanks for the imput! Rember that im a ar noob so you might want to explain why something wouldnt work or would work well. h.gif
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This is my plan. I am going to use a CAV receiver and build a super light weight ar. Now the only thing i am undecided about it the barrel. What should I use?  I would like to use this for shooting targets. I will be primarily shooting light bullets 65gr and under. Now I would like to be able to shoot alot at once, but how much of  a difference will I notice between a heavy barrel that is fluted and a super small profile barrel? Another thing, the barrel has to be stainless steel, and I want it to be 14 inches with or without a muzzle break. I am thinking it will be 12 inches plus a 2 inch muzzle break. Does anyone know who makes stainless breaks? I like the design of the bushy miny comp. So I need some suggestions on what i should do for a barrel. And a good place to buy one. I dont want to spend more than 200 on the barrel and 50 on the break. Thanks for the imput! Rember that im a ar noob so you might want to explain why something wouldnt work or would work well.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
stainless is not good for rapid fire, and they are generally more expensive.
you need 16" length for a bbl to be legal with out a SBR registration
nobody makes that I know of 14" bbls. there are 14.5" bbls though, and you would need to perm attach a brake or flash suppressor
also you got those funny looks from the other guy because a 65gr bullet is not light, that is a heavier 5.56 round, light is like a 4ogr varmint bullet.
you sound like your more interested in looking cool than having a functional rifle, no offence you may want to reconsider what you thinkis important. Don't get me wrong, I like to have my guns look cool too, but not ever at the expense of function, cool factor is low on the priority list.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I know it is going to be a sbr. And this rifle servers no practical purpose it is for plinking and thats it. And I know that they make heavier bullets than 65 grains i am saying i will be using light bullets probably cast (whatever will be good and cheap and fairly accurate)  but on occasion i may use something 65gr. And would someone please tell me why stainless isnt good for rapid fire? does it expand bad or something?
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:36:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay thats cool, I just wasn't sure if you knew the SBR laws. I don't know the exact physics, or metalurgy or whatever you call it, but stainless will "open up" a bit after rapid fire, I don't know how much it takes to actually damage it or lose accuracy however. Someone will be along probably to explain it better. Stainless also has a bit of a shorter service life that chrome lined and chrome moly.  I saw an article once on I think the Maryland AR-15 shooters site, I'll see if I can find it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]
heres some info
link1
maybe a team member can find something with thier better search capabilities
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok any one have any suggestions on a barrel? I figgured out I want a 12.5 inch threaded barrel. Does anyone have a particular brand that is very good? ANd should I go with a lined barrel or just standard chrome moly?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Bushy makes one 11.5" and lined for probably around $200. High quality too.
11.5"

found it
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]
forgot to say that CMMG also has shorter bbls
also 11.5"
CMMG
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I know it is going to be a sbr. And this rifle servers no practical purpose it is for plinking and thats it.

The registration process is one hell of a pain in the ass to go through for a rifle that "serves no practical purpose". Might you consider a 16" barrel?

And I know that they make heavier bullets than 65 grains...

Like was stated above, 65gr IS a heavy bullet for the caliber. If you decide to go with these heavier bullets you'd be better off getting a barrel with a 1:7 twist

Ammo-oracle will tell you what you need to know about bullets/weights.

And would someone please tell me why stainless isnt good for rapid fire? does it expand bad or something?

Has nothing to do with expansion. Stainless barrels heat up faster than chrome-moly barrels and when they get hot, accuracy starts to suffer. Seems to me, based on what you just said, you'd be better off with a 16" chrome-moly barrel; get your barrel chrome-lined and you'll have a long-lasting barrel that's easy to maintain and plenty accurate for a "plinker".
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Has nothing to do with expansion. Stainless barrels heat up faster than chrome-moly barrels and when they get hot, accuracy starts to suffer.

from what I understand, the expansion is reason for the acurracy suffering

Also, if you have your heart set on an SBR then by all means GET ONE!! No purpose? who cares? I'd do it too if I could. The vast majority of people don't get SBRs for 'serious purposes' for fear of killing someone with a class 3. It's not that hard from what I understand, submit form and $200 wait a long time, bring your new gun home.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:13:47 PM EDT
[#11]
HAHAH Oh yes i plan on a couple of them.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top