Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 12:56:46 PM EDT
I'm interested to know how you tie it off at each end.  In the pics I've seen the end just seems to disappear, no knots visible.
Thanks!
J
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Its fairly simple. Let me see how well I can describe it to you.  Start by soaking the paracord in water for a couple hours this way it will stretch and when dry become even more tight.  

Make a loop that runs from one end of the item to be wrapped to the other with the end of the loop( the loop, not the open end)hanging barely off the end.  For example if you were wrapping a AR stock, start with the end a the butstock then run it the length of the stock and back.  Then from the butstock end start wrapping over and over and over again.  Once you get next to the charging handle all you will see of that legnth wise loop will be a little loop end sticking out from under all your wrapping.  After making your last wrap, tuck the end through that original loop hole and pull the loose end next to the butstock.  This will pull the loop closed next to the charging handle and tie it off.  Then just cut the loose end next to the butstock and burn the tip so it won't unravel.  

Done

Now wasn't that clear as mud???
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#2]
After the second read, I understand completely.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's lots of knots for you...

The "big" knot under the scope is something I had to add when I found my hand would still overhang the larger section that was wrapped and would touch the handguard, was annoying.    Otherwise it would have been near impossible to see where the section began or ended with the larger section of the wrap.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I saw a vertical grip wrapped in paracord that looked great

I will see if I can find it and the "how-to"

Found this from Forest' site

go to Google.com --- enter "paracord knots" and enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its fairly simple. Let me see how well I can describe it to you. Start by soaking the paracord in water for a couple hours this way it will stretch and when dry become even more tight.

Water should not affect the Nylon paracord, it's nylon remember?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its fairly simple. Let me see how well I can describe it to you. Start by soaking the paracord in water for a couple hours this way it will stretch and when dry become even more tight.

Must not have been authentic nylon paracord that I used, because it did help.

But I see your point.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Yup!  Don't want the knots like in that one pic though.  I want smooth.  It'll be excellent insulation this winter.

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=335009

Wrapping that new FF tube?

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:30:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What wetting the paracord will do (soaking not necessary) is provide a bit of lubrication that will make it easier to pull the loop taut.  Before cutting the ends, let it dry and give it one last pull.  

EDIT:  I'm no expert on the subject, but that's just my $0.02
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top