Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 8:32:52 AM EDT
My new AR has a varmint upper from White Oak.  It has a nice FF aluminum forend, but is not drilled for any add-ons.

I want to add a small rail for lights.

I know I’ll have to drill and tap.

Who sells such rails and screws?  Any idea of  hole and tap size needed?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:49:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Ahh, a varmint entry tactical....hrough
We sell 2" ($15) and 4" ($25) Picatinny rails with appropriate holes and (inner) back-up alu plates with threaded holes, but they are "flat" dimensions in the 1/2 x 2" contact area. Your FF HG is obviously a curved surface.

There'd be too much wobble potential and possibility of tearing loose for drilling and tapping the tiny diameter screws that would be appropriately sized.

I would through bolt, using washer and NyLock nut. I would take up the 'slack' from the curvature issue with thin neoprene, maybe even self adhesive strips laid along the two edges. Any way you do it, you're going to need to fill that gap to avoid loosening and wobble/stress. A machinist could make you the appropriate filler, I have made many a botched attempt at doing such things for my personal use, that's why I am not a machinist.hatand it is designed to fit the curve.  $65

Doc @ M&A  Parts   847 550-8246 9-5 cst m-fri
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top