Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 10:28:15 AM EDT
Hello all, first time posting (although I've popped in now and then for info)

I'm finally posting because I'm going to start saving my pennies to pick up an AR.  I've never shot a rifle, but have experience with a handgun (although I do not own one).

Due to the amount of information available on this site, I've had a lot of my questions answered.  I'm probably looking at a RRA or Bushie, and after looking at the instructions in the Build It Yourself forum, it might be more fun (and less expensive) to order the parts one by one, and put it together myself.  At least after that, I'll have a better idea of all of the parts, how they work, etc.

One question I do have is regarding New York State law.  I am a New York State resident, and I read up on the law and I'm aware of the "if it  can accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of the following features:" section.  (I plan on having the pistol grip, but not having a TS Stock!!!!!hat
I've been looking at a couple of manufacturer's sites, and they all seem to have the same stuff.  What I mean by that is none seem to offer a let's say "New York State Legal" AR.  For instance, a rifle where you pick 1 of the 5 things it can't have more than 1 of.   So am I missing something or is it basically a scenario where you purchase the rifle as is, for instance, I buy the Tactical CAR A4 from RRA, I then take it upon myself to change the stock, take the flash suppressor off, and throw away everything that would make the rifle illegal?  If that is the case, who guarentees that you are complying with the law?  It would make more sense to purchase it the way I need it as opposed to buying it with everything I don't need, and then paying additional money for a fixed stock, low cap. mags, etc.  If it comes to that, building it myself is probably the best option.

Also, since you don't get a "rifle permit" what information is taken down at the time of purchase?

I'll probably have some more questions later, but that's my main concern now.  Anybody with specific knowledge of dealing with these laws, or a New York State resident's experience is even better.  Just want to make sure I'm understanding the law correctly and what options are available to me.

Oh yeah, my purpose for getting the rifle is for Home Defense and Target Practice (I'm a member of the NY Guard, and although weapons and combat training is something we don't go through in our Basic training, we do some light firing with VCA, and I'd like to become proficient in the AR God forbid I need to use it for State Defense purposes).

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#1]
It sems to me that buying a "no ban" rifle and removing all of the evil features would be a waste of both time and money.  I'm also pretty sure that it would be illegal to purchase one in your state even though you have the intent to make it "right".

Several manufactureres still offer "post ban" weaponsfor those still caught in AWB states.  Look for them instead.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks no_knock, I agree with what you said.

I'll try looking up "post ban" ARs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'll probably have some more questions later, but that's my main concern now. Anybody with specific knowledge of dealing with these laws, or a New York State resident's experience is even better. Just want to make sure I'm understanding the law correctly and what options are available to me.

post NY gun law questions at the link below, you'll have all your answers in less than 24hrs...
ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=9

also see the following tacked thread:
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=195287

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, didn't see the NY & NJ section.  That should do the trick!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top