Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 8:14:16 AM EDT
Hey all, I was really wanting to pick up a M4 carbine and had been looking at them for a while.  I am in the military and when I was stationed in KS where I know you could buy them.  Well just recently I have been stationed in CA and now I was told that I cannot leagally own an M4 in the state of CA!!!!!  Is this crap true?  Please tell me it is not.  Is there a way around this law???
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#1]
i dont know the details but im sure others will chime in. i think there can be an exception for active duty military with the proper paperwork if i remember correctly
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Sure there are several ways around the law.

1)Break it.
2) Become a cop in Cali, then gun laws no longer apply to you.
3) Become a politician in Cali, then the gun laws no longer apply to you.
4) Become well connected in Cali, then the gun laws no longer apply to you
5) Chop off your testicles, then buy a FAB-10

Pick your poison.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:48:42 AM EDT
[#3]
SOL

Sorry.

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#4]
This is all we area legally aloud to have.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#5]
so there is no legal way for a active duty military to own a AR in CA???  This state truely sucks!!!!

OK...so if I cant buy a AR, what would you all look for next (that I can buy)???  I want a tactical rifle that I can use if a combat situation ever arrises.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Perhaps a springfield M1A variant?

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:08:55 AM EDT
[#7]
You're in the military. When and if "a combat situation ever arrises", they'll make sure you have a "tactical rifle".
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#8]
xxxxx:  In response to your e-mail, a firearm considered to be an
assault weapon under California law cannot be imported into California
whether you bought it legally in another State or not.  It must be left
outside California and cannot be brought with you when moving here.

David A. Witt, Field Representative
Department of Justice
Firearms Division
(916) 263-8180
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

...This state truely sucks!!!! AMEN

...what would you all look for next (that I can buy)???

Here are the things you could (and should) look for next:

1) If you are in the US Army/US Air Force: DA Form 4187 / Request for Personnel Actions - Submit as many of these as possible requesting transfer/reassignment to a post in another state
2) If you are in the USMC/Navy: Form SF 0052 Personnel Actions Form - same as above

The only way to legally own an AR in Kalifornia is to have had and registered said rifle prior to the state ban on assault weapons. Even then, those folks who registered them can never sell/trade that weapon intrastate.

The only plausible solution is to do what others here at ARFCOM have done, and go buy and store your weapon in Arizona or Nevada, and go visit it on a 4-Day pass -or- leave. Most of us have already written off Kalifornia and the political abortion that is known as the state government there.
You "could" think about a FAB-10, if you don't care much about looks, function, or basically anything that makes an AR an AR.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:22:01 AM EDT
[#10]
For active duty military personnel, you can still own an assault weapon, IF you already had one, when you became stationed in the PRK.

I think Paul has it pinned in the CA forums, but there is a way for active duty to register/import/own their personally owned AW.

As for picking one up NOW...since you're already in the PRK, you may be out of luck......unless you already have one stored out of state.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#11]
hmm......i guess the "Springfield M1A Socom 16 .308 Caliber Rifle" is starting to look good now.

I sit in traffic everywhere I go.....everybody is a military hating, pot smoking, tree hugging, hippy.....everything costs twice as much as anywhere else.....and now they LIMIT WHAT GUNS I CAN BUY?????   If California was a person...I would kick his ass!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#12]
and now you know why I moved.

U left out the daily visits by 17 year olds asking to sign petitions for outlawing ammunition, nuclear reactors, saving the rain forest, and not allowing animals to be killed for whatever reason..

hate doesnt even begin to describe my feelings for that state. And I have mixed feelings about moving back there should I get a job with one of the government contractors.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
hmm......i guess the "Springfield M1A Socom 16 .308 Caliber Rifle" is starting to look good now.

I sit in traffic everywhere I go.....everybody is a military hating, pot smoking, tree hugging, hippy.....everything costs twice as much as anywhere else.....and now they LIMIT WHAT GUNS I CAN BUY?????   If California was a person...I would kick his ass!

u takling abuot berkeley right????????

im pretty sure u are  hehe
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:12:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
and now you know why I moved.

U left out the daily visits by 17 year olds asking to sign petitions for outlawing ammunition, nuclear reactors, saving the rain forest, and not allowing animals to be killed for whatever reason..

hate doesnt even begin to describe my feelings for that state. And I have mixed feelings about moving back there should I get a job with one of the government contractors.

yea deftinally berkeley!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#15]
much worse than Berkley.

West Los Angeles.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:51:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Unrelated to the gun stuff but thought I would add, my wife is from there, born there in fact. Sad thing about it, she refuses to even go back for whatever reason. She hates that state with a passion including when she lived there and when she moved to Texas her hate got even worse. Everyone I know who actually gets out of there and experiences what it's like to live in the United States again hates everything about kalifornia. I could not imagine having a state telling you, you cannot buy that gun. I can buy anything I want in Texas as long as I go through the proper process, I could not imagine it any other way.

Maybe someday the theories will come true and kalifornia will eventually break away from the U.S., then we can kick it out of the Union and let them have their granola eating, pot smoking, tree hugging crap all to themselves.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Your best options in CA are the Springfield M1a Scout or SOCOM, or the keltec SU-16 carbine, see http://www.kel-tec.com/products.htm
The keltec takes AR mags, which you were smart enough to buy before the ban of course. ;>

If I had to stay in CA I would start a movement to get the Bay (or gh3y) Area to secede from the rest of the state, which would make CA a red state. "The peoples republic of hippiedom" would immediately become the political body with the highest concentration of homosexuals, burned out stoner hippies, and politically moronic lowlifes in the world.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]
For all military personnel with permanent orders in CA:
If you are already the owner of an AR out of state, you can apply for a Military Assault Weapons Permit.
When you get the permit (and everything filled out), you can bring your AR's but no high-cap magazines.

Call the CA DOJ Firearms Division and ask for the MAWP application package.

*You don't need to waste $1700 dollars on an M1A  just to have fun here unless you got money to spare...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's an AR-15 for sale in California.

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976610343.htm
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
so there is no legal way for a active duty military to own a AR in CA???  This state truely sucks!!!!

OK...so if I cant buy a AR, what would you all look for next (that I can buy)???  I want a tactical rifle that I can use if a combat situation ever arrises.  

I believe active Mil is ALLOWED (i hate that i have to use that word) to own "Assault Weapons" in CA.  I just have to file the neccessary paperwork.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Your best options in CA are the Springfield M1a Scout or SOCOM, or the keltec SU-16 carbine, see http://www.kel-tec.com/products.htm
The keltec takes AR mags, which you were smart enough to buy before the ban of course. ;>

If I had to stay in CA I would start a movement to get the Bay (or gh3y) Area to secede from the rest of the state, which would make CA a red state. "The peoples republic of hippiedom" would immediately become the political body with the highest concentration of homosexuals, burned out stoner hippies, and politically moronic lowlifes in the world.

I was just there last weekend.  Pisses me off that all the nice places are overrun by a bunch of losers!  I still like to go just so I can go to china town and haggle the Arabs in the camera shops over the prices for new Nikon lenses!  They always get pissed and tell me to never comeback.... I'm back in like a week doing it again!  HAHAHA...  idiots!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:42:00 PM EDT
[#22]
you said you're going to be stationed in CA right?  If you buy an AR15 from out of state you can bring it here and keep it on base.  Military base is federal property and the CA DOJ has absolutely no jurisdiction.

good luck.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#23]
ya I wish I could keep it on base....but no...i got stuck with thte dumbest job in the army.  I am a damn army recruiter in Marin County!!!  Yes....I hate life.

I like the whole getting a permit for military personael though.  Sounds like I might be able to make that work.  

If for some reason I cant...i will more than likely be getting a M1A Socom
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Yep - Get an M1A while that is still legal in CA. The Socom is sweet.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#25]
This section of California law allows for people moving into the state to bring their assault rifles with them. I do not personally know anyone who has done this, but I believe there are several active military personnel on this board that have brought their assault rifles into the state with no problems. My advice would be to contact the Dept. of Justice and have the permit in hand BEFORE you bring the rifle into the state.

ARTICLE 3. REGISTRATION AND PERMITS Section 12285.

2) A person moving into this state, otherwise in lawful possession of an assault weapon, shall do one of the following:
(A) Prior to bringing the assault weapon into this state, that person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2.
(B) The person shall cause the assault weapon to be delivered to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, in this state in accordance with Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. If the person obtains a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, the dealer shall redeliver that assault weapon to the person. If the licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, is prohibited from delivering the assault weapon to a person pursuant to this paragraph, the dealer shall possess or dispose of the assault weapon as allowed by this chapter.

This is the link to the DOJ site with all of the laws pertaining to assault rifles, .50cal's and high cap mags:

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/12275.htm

Mods- As this question comes up often, can we tack this in the California Hometown forum?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
This section of California law allows for people moving into the state to bring their assault rifles with them. I do not personally know anyone who has done this, but I believe there are several active military personnel on this board that have brought their assault rifles into the state with no problems. My advice would be to contact the Dept. of Justice and have the permit in hand BEFORE you bring the rifle into the state.

2) A person moving into this state, otherwise in lawful possession of an assault weapon, shall do one of the following:
(A) Prior to bringing the assault weapon into this state, that person shall first obtain a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2.
(B) The person shall cause the assault weapon to be delivered to a licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, in this state in accordance with Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto. If the person obtains a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, the dealer shall redeliver that assault weapon to the person. If the licensed gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, is prohibited from delivering the assault weapon to a person pursuant to this paragraph, the dealer shall possess or dispose of the assault weapon as allowed by this chapter.

This is the link to the DOJ site with all of the laws pertaining to assault rifles, .50cal's and high cap mags:

Mods- As this question comes up often, can we tack this in the California Hometown forum?

ok, I just e-malied the DOJ firearms branch last week or so. and this was their reply.

xxxxx: In response to your e-mail, a firearm considered to be an
whether you bought it legally in another State or not. It must be left

Department of Justice
Firearms Division
(916) 263-8180

So who's right??
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:51:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Sure there are several ways around the law.

1)Break it.
2) Become a cop in Cali, then gun laws no longer apply to you.
3) Become a politician in Cali, then the gun laws no longer apply to you.
4) Become well connected in Cali, then the gun laws no longer apply to you
5) Chop off your testicles, then buy a FAB-10

Pick your poison.

I realize that this was tongue-in-cheek, but the reality is that a cop still needs to register their weapon.  The laws do apply.  There are special laws that allow them to posess .50 cal and other "evil assault weapons" with proper paperwork.  There were cops prosecuted after the ban was implemented for not registering their "evil assault weapon" within the time allowed.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#28]
1) Just call the DOJ, say you are military stationed here and just ask for the MAWP application, that's it.

2) Fly or drive to your homestate to pick your AR's (permit on hand). If you go with the FFL route, they are going to ass rape you with the charges ($150 aprox and it has to be an Asault weapons dealer).

I do have the permit. You just need to follow all rules and regs.
CA military bases have to abide by the laws of that state so do things right, get the permit and keep it in your home.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok, I just e-malied the DOJ firearms branch last week or so. and this was their reply.

Department of Justice
Firearms Division
(916) 263-8180

So who's right??

Well ya got me there.......As you can see from the link I provided, it is right off of DOJ's site, but I am not sure how current it is. I would think we would have to show Mr. Witt the section and see what he has to say about how current it is.....

It is stuff like this that makes me recommend to folks to contact DOJ BEFORE coming into the state and risk losing their rifle. Again, I do not personally know of anyone who has gotten a permit, but I have heard that active military folks have been able to do it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:31:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So who's right??

They are right in the sense that they can refuse a permit to you.  If you give it to a dealer to await a permit after you arive in Kalifornia, you will most certainly never see your firearm again.   The only safe way is to apply for a permit before becoming a resident and not bring it in if refused a permit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:29:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Just e-mailed the article you all came up with, may take a few days to get a response back on..
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Just e-mailed the article you all came up with, may take a few days to get a response back on..

This question gets asked quite a bit, so it would be nice to get a definative answer on this and tack it in the California Hometown forum.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#33]
My condolences on your current living situation
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#34]
M1A1TankerTom,
I asked about this myself, and found out you CAN have your "evil rifle" here, just as long as you are active duty.
Call this number:
916-227-3274
Ask for Yolanda Garcia. She sent me a folder of required docs , finger print cards, your gonna need to send a copy of your pcs orders and you will have to renew this permit annually you must be on time to, because if your late they will charge you $30.

Good luck to you,
DEVILNUTShis
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#35]
wow...thanks for all the great info guys.  You have been a great help!!!

I will more than likely stick to the M4 now that I know I can own one legally in CA....but can anybody tell me any first hand knowledge on the Kel-Tec SU16 rifles???  I never knew of them before you guys started recommending them...I am curious to hear what you all have to say about them.  Thanks again for all the help!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#36]
It is a shame when a person who is willing to fight for his country (not to mention the rest of us)  is not allowed to possess a firearm of his choice. I moved from the republic of california to Las Vegas 5 years ago exactly for that reason.  I am sorry you are stuck in that god forsaken state.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#37]

but can anybody tell me any first hand knowledge on the Kel-Tec SU16 rifles???

I was with a friend at a range last weekend to shoot his brand new Kel-Tec SU16 .

It has a carbon fiber or polymer receiver, and thus is very light.

It has a very short length of pull.

The bipod handguard gets hot.

The polymer mags are tight and won't drop free. I did not check function with an aluminum mag.

It did not seem to have an adjustment for elevation, only windage.

It did not have a scope to really check accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I e-mailed the DOJ again and added the article for clarification.This by no means that a military member can't apply for a permit if they are moving from out of state, just citzens in general. This is their reply:

xxxxx:  In response to your e-mail, there is a permit process in the
law - however, the Department of Justice issues permits for certain
legitimate business needs not for personal possession or collector's
purposes.  

Department of Justice
Firearms Division
(916) 263-8180
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:49:07 AM EDT
[#39]

xxxxx:  In response to your e-mail, there is a permit process in the
law - however, the Department of Justice issues permits for certain
legitimate business needs not for personal possession or collector's
purposes.  

Department of Justice
Firearms Division
(916) 263-8180

It is funny that he admits there IS a permit process as allowed by the law, but he restricts it to "Legitimate business needs and not for personal possession or collector's purposes", which is not mentioned anywhere in the sections I read.

Oh well, another shining example of DOJ at work!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
For all military personnel with permanent orders in CA:
If you are already the owner of an AR out of state, you can apply for a Military Assault Weapons Permit.
When you get the permit (and everything filled out), you can bring your AR's but no high-cap magazines.

Call the CA DOJ Firearms Division and ask for the MAWP application package.

*You don't need to waste $1700 dollars on an M1A  just to have fun here unless you got money to spare...

This is correct!  I know first hand!  Contact me if you have any questions: [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:28:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Great... you have to register your weapon with Dianne Feinstein.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Welcome to our hell...I'm thinking about moving to WA to escape these BS CA gun laws (and to afford a friggen house).

In CA, the best semi-autos you can legally own are the M1A...or the Mini-14/30.  

The Keltec is a total POS.  

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#43]
the other day at work i had a guy come in that had just moved here from cali. well he was looking at some 10-22's and he was telling me how much fun they are so i told him about my old setup with folding stock and a 35 round mag on the one i useto have. he stopped and asked me about the 35 round mag, you can have those in this state? so i smile and told him about all the guns and toys you can get in the free states one cought his attention AK 47. he  then said, you can get a AK in this state??? so i said yup and told him of some local gun shops that i knew of that had some. after that he decided against the 10-22 and rushed to check out some of the local gun shops and he seemed very excited.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I just escaped CA and moved to WA this month and the first thing I did was buy a new Armalite M15A4CB and sold all of my 10 round pistol mags on ebay to replace them with hi-caps.  All I regret is not doing it sooner!

Welcome to our hell...I'm thinking about moving to WA to escape these BS CA gun laws (and to afford a friggen house).

In CA, the best semi-autos you can legally own are the M1A...or the Mini-14/30.

The Keltec is a total POS.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Good 4 U.  (bastard )

I'm in WA all the time...and if/when I go to gun-shops, it's a different world.  I'm like a kid in a candy store.  (window shopping, that is )  

It's down right depressing coming back to Cali and only seeing 10 round guns, Mini-14's and god forbid, Keltec's on the shelves.  (M1A's rock though)

I don't seem to hear about people running around blowing people away with high-capacity handguns and "assault weopans" in WA...the CA gun laws are just a poor (reactive) attempt to try and control the darn freaks, drug-dealers, crack-heads and gangs that are always blowing people away in the greater San Francisco and Los Angeles areas.

If it weren't for my kid, I'd already be outta here...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top