Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2019 2:24:30 PM EDT
Eyes aren't what they used to be. Can i put a a2 aperture on my a1 upper receiver?
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Eyes aren't what they used to be. Can i put a a2 aperture on my a1 upper receiver?
View Quote
Yes, it will work.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Have done this on a friends A1 and I turn my A2 apertures around on mine as I prefer looking through the flat facing (which your A1 has) to the cupped aperture on the A2.  The damn cup causes way too much glare.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes.  It will give you the option of using the 0-2 large aperture at close range and low light conditions and use the small aperture for distant shooting.  I have done it to one of my A1 uppers, the other I just carefully drilled one of the A1 apertures out as large as it would go.  It was a lot easier and more effective to just put the A2 aperture in though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes.  It will give you the option of using the 0-2 large aperture at close range and low light conditions and use the small aperture for distant shooting.  I have done it to one of my A1 uppers, the other I just carefully drilled one of the A1 apertures out as large as it would go.  It was a lot easier and more effective to just put the A2 aperture in though.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I strongly prefer it that way.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#8]
You can but bare in mind that you loose your long/short range adjustment option.  The A1 sight has 2 aperatures set for either long or short range whereas the A2 sight has 2 aperatues on the same plane, just with a larger ghost ring aperture option for close-in/low light use.
Link Posted: 6/17/2019 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 9:04:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
totally not true.

The small aperture is used for the 3/6 or 3/8 dial, starting at 300 yards

the large aperture is marked 0-2. meaning it is for 0-200 yards when the dial is set to 300 elevation

they are not on the same plane.  You will experience a slight MOA shift in going from one to the other

Molon's tutorial
View Quote
I also swap the A2 aperture into my A1 uppers. I like to zero my small aperture at 50/200 and with that, I  find the bigger aperture gives it somewhere around a 100y zero.  This can vary though with commercial apertures. I've mic'ed some and found some varying aperture height to base dimensions among my bag of spare A2 apertures.  

XS Sight systems sells a "same plane" rear aperture that is based on the A2 aperture but keeps the larger "ghost ring" at the same zero as the precision 'peep'. (They are clearly marked XS, so you won't get them mixed up with standard A2 apertures)

https://www.xssights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=993118&CAT=8276
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
totally not true.

the large aperture is marked 0-2. meaning it is for 0-200 yards when the dial is set to 300 elevation

they are not on the same plane.  You will experience a slight MOA shift in going from one to the other

Molon's tutorial
View Quote
How you going to do that on a A1?
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 4:58:45 PM EDT
[#12]
So what is the functional difference between using the A2 aperture and the A1 low light/night sight aperture?

Admittedly I haven't poured over the tech manuals to see how the night sight aperture changes things, but it seems like it would function about the same as using the A2 aperture.
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
totally not true.

Molon's tutorial
Who said anything about doing that on an A1??

The reply was to another post that said the A2 apertures were on the same plane.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not only can you as several others have already said, it is how my issued rifle was configured.

Before the M4 and while the M16A2's were standard issue, I was issued what we called CAR-15's - 14.5" lightweight barrels on A1 uppers, lowers were SAFE, SEMI, and AUTO with two position aluminum collapsible stocks.  Since the M16A2's were in service and parts were available, it was an easy replacement to install the A2's rear sight aperture.  I felt it provided a better sight picture.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not only can you as several others have already said, it is how my issued rifle was configured.

Before the M4 and while the M16A2's were standard issue, I was issued what we called CAR-15's - 14.5" lightweight barrels on A1 uppers, lowers were SAFE, SEMI, and AUTO with two position aluminum collapsible stocks.  Since the M16A2's were in service and parts were available, it was an easy replacement to install the A2's rear sight aperture.  I felt it provided a better sight picture.
View Quote
That actually makes a lot of sense for the CAR-15 series of carbines, especially the little 10.5" barreled Commandos

I wonder why Colt never thought of that. They had that large aperture option for the M16A1 back then.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top