Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/4/2005 2:17:14 AM EDT
IIRC you have four options when building a Colt pattern setup. First, use a 9mm hammer, such the Rock River Arms. Second, use a AR15 hammer that has a straight face with no step at the top of the face, such as the D.P.M.S. Third, get an M-16 hammer and modify it. Fourth, use any hammer you choose, and ramp the bolt.

Is that all correct? If so, dos anyone have instructions for bolt ramping, preferably WECSOG/Dremmel? If I ramp the bolt, could I use a Rock River Arms two stage trigger with a step at the top of the hammer face? If I use a Rock River Arms 9mm hammer, can I use the same hammer when I drop the block and slap on a 5.56 upper?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:24:27 AM EDT
I think you can find info on Quarterbore.com that may help.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:02:57 AM EDT
I looked, and while that site is a wealth of information, I apparently am looking in thw wrong place. Which section is it in?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:52:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rikshaw:
IIRC you have four options when building a Colt pattern setup. First, use a 9mm hammer, such the Rock River Arms. Second, use a AR15 hammer that has a straight face with no step at the top of the face, such as the D.P.M.S. Third, get an M-16 hammer and modify it. Fourth, use any hammer you choose, and ramp the bolt.

Is that all correct? If so, dos anyone have instructions for bolt ramping, preferably WECSOG/Dremmel? If I ramp the bolt, could I use a Rock River Arms two stage trigger with a step at the top of the hammer face? If I use a Rock River Arms 9mm hammer, can I use the same hammer when I drop the block and slap on a 5.56 upper?

You have it pretty much right. I have heard a few rumors that sometimes a 9mm hammer will not reset with a ramped bolt, but it seems to be farily rare and has to do with the individual gun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:14:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Rikshaw:

Try this site, M60 Joe He has and explanation about bolt ramping.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:40:25 AM EDT
Ramp the bolt, then stick with the hammer with the rounded face (center with spring still attached), available from DPMS, I got mine at the funshow about 10yr ago...

If you is a M16 owner, you will stick to hammer at left.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:00:27 AM EDT
I just got my 9mm bolt ramped by M60 Joe. Mailed it on Tuesday, had it back by Thursday. Great work and customer service, highly recommended.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:24:29 PM EDT
ok i read the faq up above and am still a bit confused about this ramping thing

i have a complete colt 6450 and it has all the 9mm stuff along with a marked lower.

will i need to ramp my bolt? what i got from the faqs is that using a std./modified hammer would cause wear on the pin holes since the bolt ramp/reseting forces the hammer further than needed cause the pin holes to wear egg shaped, correct?

would i benefit from getting this done?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:37:59 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:14:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
ok i read the faq up above and am still a bit confused about this ramping thing

i have a complete colt 6450 and it has all the 9mm stuff along with a marked lower.

will i need to ramp my bolt? what i got from the faqs is that using a std./modified hammer would cause wear on the pin holes since the bolt ramp/reseting forces the hammer further than needed cause the pin holes to wear egg shaped, correct?

would i benefit from getting this done?

I contacted LRM firearm, and they told me-

A ramped 9mm bolt is not needed in semi auto

GLG20
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:53:28 AM EDT
Not needed, yes. But helps on "trigger slap" and lessens the stress on the pins.
Makes the whole experience better. My 2 cents...
Top Top