Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/4/2005 2:17:14 AM EDT
IIRC you have four options when building a Colt pattern setup.  First, use a 9mm hammer, such the Rock River Arms. Second, use a AR15 hammer that has a straight face with no step at the top of the face, such as the D.P.M.S.  Third, get an M-16 hammer and modify it.  Fourth, use any hammer you choose, and ramp the bolt.  

Is that all correct?  If so, dos anyone have instructions for bolt ramping, preferably WECSOG/Dremmel?  If I ramp the bolt, could I use a Rock River Arms two stage trigger with a step at the top of the hammer face?  If I use a Rock River Arms 9mm hammer, can I use the same hammer when I drop the block and slap on a 5.56 upper?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:24:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you can find info on Quarterbore.com that may help.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:02:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I looked, and while that site is a wealth of information, I apparently am looking in thw wrong place.  Which section is it in?
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
IIRC you have four options when building a Colt pattern setup.  First, use a 9mm hammer, such the Rock River Arms. Second, use a AR15 hammer that has a straight face with no step at the top of the face, such as the D.P.M.S.  Third, get an M-16 hammer and modify it.  Fourth, use any hammer you choose, and ramp the bolt.  

Is that all correct?  If so, dos anyone have instructions for bolt ramping, preferably WECSOG/Dremmel?  If I ramp the bolt, could I use a Rock River Arms two stage trigger with a step at the top of the hammer face?  If I use a Rock River Arms 9mm hammer, can I use the same hammer when I drop the block and slap on a 5.56 upper?

You have it pretty much right.  I have heard a few rumors that sometimes a 9mm hammer will not reset with a ramped bolt, but it seems to be farily rare and has to do with the individual gun.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Try this site, M60 Joe  He has and explanation about bolt ramping.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Ramp the bolt, then stick with the hammer with the rounded face (center with spring still attached), available from DPMS, I got mine at the funshow about 10yr ago...

If you is a M16 owner, you will stick to hammer at left.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I just got my 9mm bolt ramped by M60 Joe. Mailed it on Tuesday, had it back by Thursday. Great work and customer service, highly recommended.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#7]
ok i read the faq up above and am still a bit confused about this ramping thing

i have a complete colt 6450 and it has all the 9mm stuff along with a marked lower.

will i need to ramp my bolt? what i got from the faqs is that using a std./modified hammer would cause wear on the pin holes since the bolt ramp/reseting forces the hammer further than needed cause the pin holes to wear egg shaped, correct?

would i benefit from getting this done?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:14:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ok i read the faq up above and am still a bit confused about this ramping thing

i have a complete colt 6450 and it has all the 9mm stuff along with a marked lower.

will i need to ramp my bolt? what i got from the faqs is that using a std./modified hammer would cause wear on the pin holes since the bolt ramp/reseting forces the hammer further than needed cause the pin holes to wear egg shaped, correct?

would i benefit from getting this done?

I contacted LRM firearm, and they told me-

A ramped 9mm bolt is not needed in semi auto  

GLG20
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:53:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Not needed, yes. But helps on "trigger slap" and lessens the stress on the pins.
Makes the whole experience better. My 2 cents...
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top