Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
11/20/2019 5:07:11 PM
Posted: 6/15/2007 1:24:19 PM EST
My 9mm carbine should be delivered any time now. Should I be looking at pistol scopes or rifle scopes? Which brand/model would be best for basic shooting out to 100 yards with commercial 9mm?
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 2:32:39 PM EST
Assuming you're going to mount the scope on the receiver, you'll want a rifle scope.

Any decent scope up to 9x would be fine for 100 yards. The best deals are often on 3-9x40 variable scopes, as they're one of the most popular sizes, but 4x can be fine for that range as well.

9mm has a good bit of drop at those ranges, so something with ranging features, like a mil-dot reticle, might come in handy.

Lots of people don't bother with magnified scopes out to 100 yards, and prefer red dots or holosights. I need some magnification for accuracy at that range, as my eyes aren't so great, and the 3-9x models are good for me.

If you're trying to keep costs down, Leupold, Burris, and Nikon all make good quality basic scopes that are below $200-300. Check www.swfa.com for prices and models.

Quality starts dropping fast as you go below $200. If you have a bigger budget, there are lots of great optics out there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:37:50 PM EST
I would think a reddot (EoTech, Aimpoint, etc.) would better fit your needs since the 9mm will not be able to reach out to distances where magnification is needed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:36:41 PM EST

Originally Posted By buckfever34:
I would think a reddot (EoTech, Aimpoint, etc.) would better fit your needs since the 9mm will not be able to reach out to distances where magnification is needed.
I wouldn't say "magnification is not an issue" for myself. I want to see WHERE I'm hitting the target as much as WHETHER I'm hitting the target. Of course after I get more proficient, a red dot is the next logical step.

I just did a little scope shopping today at Academy Sports and Outdoors, and it seems that "inexpensive" scopes in the 3-9 power range are not at all bad. Not Leupold, mind you, but not bad. I may pick one up just to mess around with.

Thanks for the input. Now I need to figure out if I want a "real" scope for my single shot .22. The tiny 4X Tasco on it (that's been there for about 25 years) is starting to show some wear. I can get a new one for $8, but is that what I want for a single shot .22? I dunno.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 4:56:37 AM EST
How about a Bushnell or Simmons 1.5-5x shotgun scope? It works pretty good at close range, good for 100 yards and parallax set at 60-75 yards.
Or a red dot sight and a set of bino's.
RRA15
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:13:43 AM EST
I use a Leupold CQ/T 1-3X. Works great for plinking and you can see shots easily from 50-100 yards.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:12:06 PM EST
As stated above. The 9mm drops off really fast at 100yds. Personally, I use a Trijicon Compact Acog 1.5x16 with Amber dot on my suppressed 9mm. It is as fast as the Eotech that used to be on there and I can make hits at 100 yards easily. For a 9mm, I would stick with a low power optic or red dot.

USNCORPSMAN

Top Top