Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2007 2:24:19 PM EDT
My 9mm carbine should be delivered any time now.  Should I be looking at pistol scopes or rifle scopes?  Which brand/model would be best for basic shooting out to 100 yards with commercial 9mm?
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Assuming you're going to mount the scope on the receiver, you'll want a rifle scope.

Any decent scope up to 9x would be fine for 100 yards.  The best deals are often on 3-9x40 variable scopes, as they're one of the most popular sizes, but 4x can be fine for that range as well.

9mm has a good bit of drop at those ranges, so something with ranging features, like a mil-dot reticle, might come in handy.

Lots of people don't bother with magnified scopes out to 100 yards, and prefer red dots or holosights.  I need some magnification for accuracy at that range, as my eyes aren't so great, and the 3-9x models are good for me.

If you're trying to keep costs down, Leupold, Burris, and Nikon all make good quality basic scopes that are below $200-300.  Check www.swfa.com for prices and models.

Quality starts dropping fast as you go below $200.  If you have a bigger budget, there are lots of great optics out there.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I would think a reddot (EoTech, Aimpoint, etc.) would better fit your needs since the 9mm will not be able to reach out to distances where magnification is needed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would think a reddot (EoTech, Aimpoint, etc.) would better fit your needs since the 9mm will not be able to reach out to distances where magnification is needed.
I wouldn't say "magnification is not an issue" for myself.  I want to see WHERE I'm hitting the target as much as WHETHER I'm hitting the target.  Of course after I get more proficient, a red dot is the next logical step.

I just did a little scope shopping today at Academy Sports and Outdoors, and it seems that "inexpensive" scopes in the 3-9 power range are not at all bad.  Not Leupold, mind you, but not bad.  I may pick one up just to mess around with.

Thanks for the input.  Now I need to figure out if I want a "real" scope for my single shot .22.  The tiny 4X Tasco on it (that's been there for about 25 years) is starting to show some wear.  I can get a new one for $8, but is that what I want for a single shot .22?  I dunno.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:56:37 AM EDT
[#4]
How about a Bushnell or Simmons 1.5-5x shotgun scope? It works pretty good at close range, good for 100 yards and parallax set at 60-75 yards.
Or a red dot sight and a set of bino's.
RRA15
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a Leupold CQ/T 1-3X.  Works great for plinking and you can see shots easily from 50-100 yards.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
As stated above. The 9mm drops off really fast at 100yds. Personally, I use a Trijicon Compact Acog 1.5x16 with Amber dot on my suppressed 9mm. It is as fast as the Eotech that used to be on there and I can make hits at 100 yards easily. For a 9mm, I would stick with a low power optic or red dot.

USNCORPSMAN

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top