Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 11:20:55 PM EDT
ok,ok  i `ve been seeing this zombie survival guide book mentioned here and there. now what if a bunch of people that read the book would become bitten and turn into zombies. wouldint that hurt your chances of surviving them? lol...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#1]
All of my sources (bad movies) say that zombies an not operate weapons.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:07:39 AM EDT
[#2]
that's a good question!..

...although i do believe most people agree once you're a zombie you're pretty much a dumbass, to put it plainly. I personally think some basic memory is retained, giving those who may have had any tactical training, especially those who had developed such skills over a long period of time such as special forces, seals, etc.. would have a greater advantage over your average run of the mill zombie. Ok - so let me share an example..Even though it would probably NEVER happen, if two undead were to go toe to toe, and one of them had been a boxer while he was alive, the other a dentist or something, i'm sure the boxer have the judges in his favor. I know how stupid it sounds for zombies to fight amongst their own, but cut me some slack, thats the only example i have at 1am.

i hope this clears things up a little.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:13:08 AM EDT
[#3]
zomdies are not the borg.  They do not have a hive mind that assimilates the knowledge of the brains they eat.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:54:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
zomdies are not the borg.  They do not have a hive mind that assimilates the knowledge of the brains they eat.

that's not what i was saying. at all.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:59:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Look at it this way.  Have you ever seen a rabid democrat liberal Howard Dean follower who could operate a weapon, think logically, or think FOR THEMSELF?  The zombies are already here, we just haven't been given the green light to start hunting them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#7]
In the Zombie movie that takes place in a flordia bunker a zombie does in fact use a pistol. It was taught after becoming a zombie.  I think it was Day of the Dead.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
In the Zombie movie...

I believe the preferred term is "training film".  Personally, I thought their research was shoddy in that one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I meant to say Training Film, there will always be MAD scientists  But to know your enemy you must study them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Most experts agree that zombies loose all higher brain function. So in order to operate a weapon, they would have to be so well trained that it is as ingrained in their muscle memory as walking.  Even then they would have a hard time aiming and reloading due to the loss of fine motor control.

Simply having read a book would have no impact on a zombie.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:52:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Not sure if any of you have seen George Romero's most recent, Land of the Dead, but it is definitely worth a watch. Not a single AK, kind of pissed me off. One of the walkers grabs a Steyr AUG from a passing merc, and over the course of the movie, through trial and error, learns how to operate it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Ya'll can make jest and light of the situation, but you'll not be laughing when the nasty undead noggin nibblers come shambling to your abode.... The May of Pittsburgh has it right. Read Below.

Study Reveals Pittsburgh Unprepared For Full-Scale Zombie Attack
October 19, 2005 | Issue 41•42

PITTSBURGH—A zombie-preparedness study, commissioned by Pittsburgh Mayor Tom Murphy and released Monday, indicates that the city could easily succumb to a devastating zombie attack. Insufficient emergency-management-personnel training and poorly conceived undead-defense measures have left the city at great risk for all-out destruction at the hands of the living dead, according to the Zombie Preparedness Institute.

Pittsburgh, a prime target of the undead.
"When it comes to defending ourselves against an army of reanimated human corpses, the officials in charge have fallen asleep at the wheel," Murphy said. "Who's in charge of sweep-and-burn missions to clear out infected areas? Who's going to guard the cemeteries at night? If zombies were to arrive in the city tomorrow, we'd all be roaming the earth in search of human brains by Friday."

Government-conducted zombie-attack scenarios described on the State Department's website indicate that a successful, citywide zombie takeover would take 10 days, but according to ZPI statistician Dr. Milton Cornelius, the government's models fail to incorporate such factors as the zombies' rudimentary reasoning skills and basic tool use.

"Today's zombies quickly learn to open doors, break windows, and stage ambushes," Cornelius said. "In one 1985 incident in Louisville, a band of zombies was able to lure four paramedics and countless law-enforcement officials to their deaths by commandeering an ambulance radio and calling for backup."

ZPI researchers noted that tens of thousands of Pittsburgh citizens live in close proximity to a cemetery. This fact, coupled with abnormally high space-radiation levels in eastern Pennsylvania and ongoing traffic issues in the East Hills and Larimer areas, led Cornelius to declare the likelihood of a successful evacuation as "slight to impossible."

"The designated evacuation routes would be hopelessly clogged, leaving many no choice but to escape by foot," Cornelius said. "Add a single lurching zombie into that easily panicked crowd and you've got a nightmare scenario."

Cornelius' model shows that after the ensuing stampede, "the zombie could pick and choose his victims," and predicts the creation of hundreds of new undead "in a single half-hour feeding frenzy."

Pittsburgh's structural defenses are particularly inadequate. The city's emergency safe houses, established by a city ordinance in the early '70s, lack even the most basic fortifications for zombie invasion.

Pittsburgh residents participate in a zombie-preparedness training exercise in 1998.
"Under the ordinance, wooden tool sheds and rusty station wagons are classified as adequate shelter," Cornelius said. "But once dozens of zombies hungering for living flesh begin pounding on the walls and driving their half-decomposed fists through the windows, sheds and cars quickly give way."

Federal Undead Management Agency spokesperson Dr. Sheena Aurora downplayed the ZPI report, arguing that zombies move slowly and can be easily overpowered. Aurora advised citizens to look over their shoulders frequently, adding that a large shopping mall can serve as a "long-term, even fun" refuge from zombies.

Such assertions alarm zombiologist Olivier Baptiste, who calls FUMA's information "hopelessly outdated."

"Dr. Aurora's claims are based on decades-old zombie models," Baptiste said. "Widely released evidence from recent years clearly shows that zombies can run just as fast, if not faster, than a living human."

Added Baptiste: "That FUMA trains its field agents to shoot zombies in the torso, rather than the head, demonstrates just how out of touch the government is."

Evans City, PA Police Chief Gino Fulci said zombie preparedness comes down to training on the local level.

"Children need to be taught from preschool that they might have to put a bullet between the eyes of their own undead mother," Fulci said. "'Destroy The Brain' banners should be hung above the entrances of schools, churches, and town halls everywhere."

Cornelius recommends that Pittsburgh residents prepare a "go-bag" containing a Glock 17 pistol and 50 rounds of ammunition. If leaving the house is not an option, Cornelius advises residents to barricade all first-story doors and windows, and have at least one method of suicide prepared, should zombies successfully breach the home.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]
And here's a bit more insight into the Zombie Physiology...

Zombie Nutritionist Recommends All-Brain Diet
September 26, 2002 | Issue 38•35

STONY BROOK, NY—In a dramatic reversal of decades-old medical wisdom, the late Dr. Albert Rossum, director of the O'Bannon Institute For Postmortem Nutritional Studies, recommended an all-brain diet for zombies Tuesday.

"Our research indicates that live human brains are not merely the cornerstone of a healthy diet; they are, in fact, the only food an active adult zombie should consume at all," Rossum said during a press conference at the institute, located at the State University of New York at Stony Brook. "A daily three-pound serving of brains supplies all the vital sugars, neurons, and ganglia essential to promoting zombie fitness and slowing the decomposition process."

The Rossum Plan challenges the traditional zombie food pyramid, which consists of five to seven daily servings of human hearts, three to four servings of livers or eyeballs, and two servings of brains. Instead, Rossum advocates a four-level pyramid, with all four levels consisting of as many servings of brains as possible.

"Ideally, the brains should be consumed fresh from the head of the victim," said Rossum, widely considered the nation's leading expert in the field of undead nutrition. "However, precious scraps of brain may also be pried from the fingers of other brain-crazed zombies. Failing that, dropped brains may be slurped from the ground by a third party to such a scuffle."

Added Rossum: "Braaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnns!"

Nutritionists at the Romero Foundation For Zombie Health, the nation's oldest zombie-health organization, were dismissive of Rossum's announcement.

"The O'Bannon Institute's plan is a reckless fad diet," the late Dr. Vincent Peters said. "Five servings each day from the neurosensory group, made up of the brain, spinal column, and nervous system, as well as from the vascular, digestive, and pulmonary groups, are the best way to maintain robust zombie health. It is an established fact."

Told of Peters' remarks, Rossum strenuously disagreed, citing recent tests conducted by his institute.

The revised Zombie Food Pyramid.

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/onion_news167.article.jpg

"Studies have shown that zombies who follow the Romero school of nutrition can be stopped with a single bullet to the brainstem," Rossum said. "On the other hand, our exhaustive studies conclusively show that the newer, fitter breed of zombies who adhere to an all-brain diet cannot be subdued by anything short of total incineration."

Rossum's detractors are quick to point out that a high percentage of zombies in his studies are young accidental-death victims, many still in their teens, recruited from the punk-rock-fan community. Such individuals, critics charge, are too healthy and recently deceased to be reliable subjects in long-term dietary studies.

Critics also charge that a diet consisting entirely of brains would not be likely to attract many followers due to its monotonous nature. Rossum again disagreed.

"There is still ample room for dietary variety in this plan," Rossum said. "One day, you might make a spicy South Of The Border treat of a Mexican person's brains. The next, you could enjoy the Far East taste sensation of an Asian. There are so many different kinds of heads to tear open, there's no reason ever to get bored."

Rossum then stepped down from the podium and descended upon New York Times photographer Dennis Levitan, cracking his skull open and devouring his brains.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:25:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I believe there should be a basic Zombie Preparedness Survival/Safety guide posted as a sticky at the top of the forum. I also suggest a section describing the most common ways to Kill a zombie, as well as other various techniques in Zombie slaying. Who knows how many people this could help. It's right up there with properly cleaning & maintaining your AK, What to look for when buying an AK, etc..
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#16]
There is its called the Zombie Survial giude by max brooks, you can buy it at amazon.com.  The book may be regarded as humorous, but the author has gone through great lenghts to make it seem believable.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#17]
>>here is its called the Zombie Survial giude by max brooks, you can buy it at amazon.com. The >>book may be regarded as humorous, but the author has gone through great lenghts to make it >>seem believable.

I believe Max Brooks is Mel Brooks son.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

...although i do believe most people agree once you're a zombie you're pretty much a dumbass, to put it plainly. I personally think some basic memory is retained, giving those who may have had any tactical training, especially those who had developed such skills over a long period of time such as special forces, seals, etc.. would have a greater advantage over your average run of the mill zombie. Ok - so let me share an example..Even though it would probably NEVER happen, if two undead were to go toe to toe, and one of them had been a boxer while he was alive, the other a dentist or something, i'm sure the boxer have the judges in his favor. I know how stupid it sounds for zombies to fight amongst their own, but cut me some slack, thats the only example i have at 1am.

Zombies kill by biting. My money is on the dentist.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:32:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't get the zombie's eating brains thing. I must not have seen that documentary.  

The only thing that kills a zombie is destruction of the brain. If zombies ate the brains of their victims, the brainless victims would be unable to reanimate. This would greatly slow the spread of the infestation.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Zombies kill by biting. My money is on the dentist.

maybe it would be one really good fight??

nah you're right.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#23]
A ruger 10/22 in a Krinker Plinker configuration with all the Hi cap's you can carry....
A Pistol caliber carbine..Ar's with 9mm uppers..Ruger's PC series...Or the Berreta Storm....
A FNP90 in 5.7 would be sweet if ammo was no issue...

And as for Lightning_P38's comment about a 12ga...
while a shotgun leaves nasty looking wounds, they are often very superficial, and not that incapacitating...Not TRUE...Depends on range and load...That Is why the VP is not charged with a homcide...If it was a 1,4,or 00,000 buck he would probly be DEAD...
But I do agree with him on it not being a Number 1 Choice...For the following reasons..
Heft....Limited ammo...Slow reloading...Huge recoil...unless it a SAIGA12...But still...
1 30rnd mag or a SAIGA 8 rounder
I'll choose an intermediate caliber...
I like the ruger/berreta combo's One caliber,,two guns,,ONE mag...
Or what I currently have....An AK and a Glock

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I just finished reading the infamous "zombie survival" guide yesterday....a fun book to read, and very easy compared to the books I read as an English major. I couldn't decide if it was written "toungue in cheek" or not....My guess is that it was ment for fun, not for serious information. People who seriously worry about a real-life Dawn of the Dead scenario need to get back on the Lithium and find a girlfriend. Of all the things one sould prepare for, zombies should not be one of them. The lesson to be prepared remains the same, reguardless of the specific threat. A fun book to read, but full of a lot of nonsense. I enjoyed reading it for the same reason I enjoy Land of the Dead, fantasy and excitement.....Don't be a noob, Zombies aren't coming for you, nor will they ever. Personally, I am more concerned about Dinosaurs because there actually was such a thing, and may still be.....Aliens are also more concerning, again the possiblility of existance reamins high. Zombies are a creation of fiction and there is no evidence to suggest they exist in reality and thus preparing for thier takeover is an exercise in futility. Debating the capabilites of zombies is an even bigger waste of time....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
ok,ok  i `ve been seeing this zombie survival guide book mentioned here and there. now what if a bunch of people that read the book would become bitten and turn into zombies. wouldint that hurt your chances of surviving them? lol...

Read the book - you'll find all the answers to your questions.

Besides, it's cheap, and funny as hell.  Throw some money towards the writers.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400049628/sr=8-1/qid=1142027186/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2848664-1386465?%5Fencoding=UTF8
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
A ruger 10/22 in a Krinker Plinker configuration with all the Hi cap's you can carry....

If zombies bled, and the object was to wait until they bleed out, this might be effective.

You're supposed to destroy the brain/brainstem.  You ain't gonna accomplish that with a .22, especially not a TAPCO-esque one, at that.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
In the Zombie movie that takes place in a flordia bunker a zombie does in fact use a pistol. It was taught after becoming a zombie.  I think it was Day of the Dead.

It was Day of the Dead, but it wasn't taught to use the pistol.

They established that Bub, prior to being bitten, infected and zombified, had been in the military, and that his saluting of the Captain and the ability to use the pistol (putting magazine in pistol, manipulating the slide, aiming and pulling the trigger) were all semi-instinctual actions that remained due to military indoctrination or something.

Fortunately, Bub only had mediocre aim - if that's all a trained military zombie has left after zombification, I don't think you need to worry too much about normal generic zombies.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:34:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Dawn of the Dead the 2004 version had a storyline that actually seemed believable compared to the others.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I hope the attack occurs after the ammo shortage is over
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I hope the attack occurs after the ammo shortage is overhr

+1
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Actually, there is this zobie moive called Versus.  It's in Japanees and it is pretty much just one whole big shoot out.  There are zombies in the movie and the zombies can use guns and swords.  They use them really slow,  but they shamble around and try to shoot people.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I don't get the zombie's eating brains thing. I must not have seen that documentary.  

The only thing that kills a zombie is destruction of the brain. If zombies ate the brains of their victims, the brainless victims would be unable to reanimate. This would greatly slow the spread of the infestation.

here's my theory..

as  far as we know, zombification is caused by a virus. the zombies aren't spreading the virus on purpose, they're just looking for nourishment. since zombie's move so slowly, and often times try gnawing at their meal despite the fact it's still kicking, many of their victims are able to escape, but not before being bitten, scratched, or accidentally ending up with a mouthfull of rotting zombie flesh.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Read the book - you'll find all the answers to your questions.

Besides, it's cheap, and funny as hell.  Throw some money towards the writers.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400049628/sr=8-1/qid=1142027186/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2848664-1386465?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Thank you much for the link. I ordered three copies. One for me (of course) and one each for a couple relatives in need of enlightenment.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Cool, an Umbrella Corporation AK under-folder!  UnCool, another stupid Zombie thread...
Get real, the only zombies that exist are the looney, far-left, kool-aid drinking, gun grabbing
LIBERALS!!!

AC
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:35:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
img57.imageshack.us/img57/2913/umbrella0041gp.jpg

Niiiice!  How did you do that?  It looks like it was burned into the wood.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:17:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Look at it this way.  Have you ever seen a rabid democrat liberal Howard Dean follower who could operate a weapon, think logically, or think FOR THEMSELF?  The zombies are already here, we just haven't been given the green light to start hunting them.

Dorsai,
I give you the green light.
Creeper
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img57.imageshack.us/img57/2913/umbrella0041gp.jpg

Niiiice!  How did you do that?  It looks like it was burned into the wood.

It was, i etched it into the wood at work using our laser .hug.gif
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
There is its called the Zombie Survial giude by max brooks, you can buy it at amazon.com.  The book may be regarded as humorous, but the author has gone through great lenghts to make it seem believable.

Yeah, but I was able to point out several errors in that book, primarily in the weapons section.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I guess the AK forum has become the new newb GD.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I guess the AK forum has become the new newb GD.

How do you figure?  95% of the GD mental rejects haven't been able to figure out how to click their mouse successfully enough times to get into the AK Discussion forum.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, there is this zobie moive called Versus.  It's in Japanees and it is pretty much just one whole big shoot out.  There are zombies in the movie and the zombies can use guns and swords.  They use them really slow,  but they shamble around and try to shoot people.

Glad someone else has seen Versus. The whole reincarnation thing was kind of cheesy, but the movie was fun as hell.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:23:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I was reading an internet zombie story last night... and the guy had an interesting spin.

There was a doctor who knew he couldn't get out of the city, so he infected himself and put himself on the respirator while he died/reanimated.  He figured out that the stupid, shambling zombies were the result of depriving the brain of oxygen for an extended amount of time before reanimation.  He came back, and had full mental capacity and speech.  Still had the cravings, but was better able to control them.

Interesting....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Palefrei,

Have you been reading "The ONION" again...
www.theonion.com/content/index
Zombies...Yea right...

I love the noobs!!  SO entertaining!!

KyARGuy

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:12:24 AM EDT
[#45]
There have been several training films concerning Zombie Warfare.

The original ones, the Z's craved brains.
In the later ones, they just wanted to eat any flesh that wasn't infected.
Bottom line in all of them, headshots killed them

Now, someone ask the following question...
"If the Z's eat the brain, and can be killed by shots to the head(brain)... Won't they eventually kill themselves off since they will not reanimate due to no brain?"

Yes, if you were killed and your brain eaten, then you would not reanimate.  But this is why the Z population would continue.     You are alive and running around.  You get bitten but are able to escape.  You make it to a safe location and then get converted and reanimated.  So you were able to make it out of the Z's nest without getting your brain eaten but were bitten so you die and get converted.

Now, you got to ask yourself this question...
Do the Z's ever die off??
Well there were several good training films concerning the Z's.
Only one of them showed that the Z's would basically dehydrate away (refer to  training file - >28 days later)

I would prefer to go under the assumption that only headshots kill them and they are dumb as cattle.  If you think of them as being smart then all prev training films are useless.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:13:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top