Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2005 9:19:04 AM EDT

used my bending jig and pounded out a couple receivers yesterday.  welded the front trunnion in with MIG and screwed the rear trunnion, to keep adaptability.  its a bulgie 74 kit from k-var and just for shits and grins I threw my AMD-65 kits forearm on there as well as the homebuilt pistol grips, I kind of like the way it works, and I'm happy with my homebuilt pistol grips as well(I didnt do most of the work, my buddy who has a knack for woodworking did the majority)  its waiting for me to stop being lazy and gunkote it, but thats for another weekend
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:49:17 AM EDT
Oh Red....and to think I thought you were an AK purist.

J/K

That kicks ass!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:57:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/11/2005 10:58:42 AM EDT by TheRedHorseman]
purist? guilty as charged.  where are the non AK accessories?  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:06:38 AM EDT
LOL there's no 5.45 AMD's, just admit it. However I think the Hungarians missed out not making any as I think the AMD's are more suited to that round.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:17:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Taipan:
LOL there's no 5.45 AMD's, just admit it. However I think the Hungarians missed out not making any as I think the AMD's are more suited to that round.

true, this one will probably revert to wood, but for now I like the "more thrusts per squeeze" look

and amd's are still AK's damn it!

see sig line

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:27:03 AM EDT
NO....leave it be. Its too cool! Besides it was really creative on your part, which is something I admire.

I have thoughts myself of building a Polish Underfolder look-a-like in 5.45 to be a litlle brother for my RPK74.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:30:31 AM EDT
Interesting build, however I think you are going to have problems with the mig welded front trunnion. My 1st AK-an AMD65, was built by mig welding the front and rear trunnions. Both welds broke within 40-50 rds. A friend TIG welded the trunnions, and they are still going strong a few thousand rds later.

OJF
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:59:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By oldjarheadfart:
Interesting build, however I think you are going to have problems with the mig welded front trunnion. My 1st AK-an AMD65, was built by mig welding the front and rear trunnions. Both welds broke within 40-50 rds. A friend TIG welded the trunnions, and they are still going strong a few thousand rds later.

OJF

well as soon as I have a chance to put rounds downrange I'll find out I guess.  I really over welded the whole thing, not just where the rivets went, and I'm pretty handy with a MIG so I'm going to try it out and hope for the best
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:40:19 PM EDT
oldjarheadfart,

Can you post a couple of photos of the tig welds on your reciever? I'm interested in where and how much your buddy welded on the front trunion. Thx!

-Mitch
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:06:47 AM EDT
if he did a good job you wont b able to see anythang on the welds
Top Top