Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/11/2005 9:19:04 AM EDT

used my bending jig and pounded out a couple receivers yesterday.  welded the front trunnion in with MIG and screwed the rear trunnion, to keep adaptability.  its a bulgie 74 kit from k-var and just for shits and grins I threw my AMD-65 kits forearm on there as well as the homebuilt pistol grips, I kind of like the way it works, and I'm happy with my homebuilt pistol grips as well(I didnt do most of the work, my buddy who has a knack for woodworking did the majority)  its waiting for me to stop being lazy and gunkote it, but thats for another weekend
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh Red....and to think I thought you were an AK purist.

J/K

That kicks ass!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#2]
purist? guilty as charged.  where are the non AK accessories?  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#3]
LOL there's no 5.45 AMD's, just admit it. However I think the Hungarians missed out not making any as I think the AMD's are more suited to that round.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
LOL there's no 5.45 AMD's, just admit it. However I think the Hungarians missed out not making any as I think the AMD's are more suited to that round.

true, this one will probably revert to wood, but for now I like the "more thrusts per squeeze" look

and amd's are still AK's damn it!

see sig line

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#5]
NO....leave it be. Its too cool! Besides it was really creative on your part, which is something I admire.

I have thoughts myself of building a Polish Underfolder look-a-like in 5.45 to be a litlle brother for my RPK74.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Interesting build, however I think you are going to have problems with the mig welded front trunnion. My 1st AK-an AMD65, was built by mig welding the front and rear trunnions. Both welds broke within 40-50 rds. A friend TIG welded the trunnions, and they are still going strong a few thousand rds later.

OJF
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Interesting build, however I think you are going to have problems with the mig welded front trunnion. My 1st AK-an AMD65, was built by mig welding the front and rear trunnions. Both welds broke within 40-50 rds. A friend TIG welded the trunnions, and they are still going strong a few thousand rds later.

OJF

well as soon as I have a chance to put rounds downrange I'll find out I guess.  I really over welded the whole thing, not just where the rivets went, and I'm pretty handy with a MIG so I'm going to try it out and hope for the best
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#8]
oldjarheadfart,

Can you post a couple of photos of the tig welds on your reciever? I'm interested in where and how much your buddy welded on the front trunion. Thx!

-Mitch
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:06:47 AM EDT
[#9]
if he did a good job you wont b able to see anythang on the welds
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top