BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/16/2014 4:09:19 PM EDT
Truth be told I am not all that into tactical gear but I think we've all seen pics floating around of ZenitCo's tactical AK accessories...I've noticed interest building up here on the forum over the past year or so, myself included. Recently our friendly neighborhood optics crack dealer made a trip to Russia specifically to tour the ZenitCo storefront and pick up some items he was interested in like the PT-1 Klassika stock that has recently come on the market. Apparently he was pretty impressed, he brought back a heck of a lot of gear and allowed me take a look and get a few pics.

First impressions are favorable for me. Though I am not a big fan of tactical gear I have had my hands on plenty of it over the years...while I'm certainly no expert I've generally not been that impressed with most US manufacturers. Stormwerkz is a home run for the AKSU and of course the venerable Ultimak is a great product, but many other designs that seem promising get mixed reviews or don't do well at all.
I guess it should be no surprise that when you get gear designed by Russians specifically for AK's you are probably more likely to get a good product and ZenitCo seems to have done a really good job at first glance. These guys are apparently all ex military and have made quality their #1 priority, and are apparently making pretty good waves in Russia.

As a testament to the quality I can say that I was originally going to do a photo review and return the gear, but after handling it I decided to take a chance and keep the kit in order to do a long term review and maybe beat it up a bit over the next year or so.

AK105 with most of the kit:

ZenitCo rail system
This comes in two main versions, the long over gas block style and the shorter hand guard length version. I prefer the shorter rail personally but was able to get pics of the long version also.

The system is modular and builds on itself, meaning that you can use just the lower HG, add the gas tube to the lower HG or use the top cover with just the HG or with both the upper and lowers mounted together. B33 does not require the rear sight leaf to be removed during installation and you can see the irons perfectly while the B33 top cover is mounted when using a standard polymer AK74M buttstock.

For more details on the hand guards: http://www.zenitco.ru/catalog/1717/1816/

The lower long handguard is called B30, the long upper gas tube is called B31. Combined weight is 13.2 ounces, or 9.2 for B30 and 4.0 for B31

The short lower HG is called B10M which is the model that the B19 gas tube rail secures into, B33 top cover attaches to it as well.
A simpler version called B10 can be mounted which is purely a stand alone lower hand guard. This appears to only have a side rail on the right side of the unit, for some reason not both sides. B10 and B10M weigh 5.0 oz vs about 4.0 oz for a standard lower polymer HG, B33 weighs 7.4 with screws compared to 4.7 oz for a standard 74M topcover.

Top to bottom: B31 + B30, B19 + B10M, B10

(also note the superb RS Regulate BM-1 barrel mount, my preferred AK light mount)

Note that B10M and B30 may require some fitting of the lower HG portion. In the pics with the long version mounted I have not done any fitting because I did not intend to keep the unit for myself and therefore it looks like it's sticking out a bit too far from the receiver. The top cover still closes securely even without fitting the lower HG properly. For the short version it took me about 10 minutes of mild fitting with a dremel on low power to get a good seat on my SGL31-44/AK105.

Gas tube lever. This will open when the lower rail is mounted with a standard polymer gas tube. If you have the railed gas tube secured to the lower rail as I do in the pic obviously the gas tube won't be able to be removed

Here you see B19 gas tube cover can be removed and replaced with the standard gas tube. B19 weighs 3.2 oz with screws

I think the secret sauce for how the B33 top cover will return to zero is the steel reinforcement plate that slides into the trunnion where the original top cover fits. Combined with the hinge being mounted to the lower HG this should allow the B33 to always return to it's original position when the cover is closed again.

PT1 Klassika stock
This is an interesting and versatile stock that has the ability to adjust the length, the cheek riser height and the butt pad position as well. It required no modifications to fit the SGL31 rifles I tried it on and can be swapped between 5.5mm trunnions and 4.5mm trunnions by removing the hinge mechanism from the stock itself. While it fit perfectly on the SGL31s with 5.5mm trunnions it did appear that a bit of fitting would be needed for the 4.5mm hinge mechanism to lock fully open. It mounted ok but would not secure completely on the SLR105 that I tried it on. This seems like a very sturdy stock that is much heavier than I thought it would be, though I have seen a few pics posted of cracked hinges from users in Russia. I can't comment directly but it is worth noting.

Fully open.
In this picture you can also see that various screws allow the cheek riser to come up or down and allow the butt to be moved up or down as well. I find it to be very comfortable with the butt moved down as shown, it gives a nicer tuck in the shoulder pocket when standing.  

Cheek riser at maximum height and butt pad options. Surprisingly, at its lowest possible the cheek riser pretty much prevents the use of the iron sites. Due to the unyielding nature of the plastic it's very difficult to force your cheek low enough for a good sight picture.

Fully collapsed

Latch open.
The latch is magnetic and is easy to operate.

Folded

Hinge
The Klassika can be fitted to either 4.5mm or 5.5mm trunnions by changing the faceplate on the PT-1. A single large screw removes the hinge mechanism from PT-1 and allows swapping to either pin size. The tensioner that keeps the stock locked while folded is actually inserted into the folding trunnion on top of the hinge mechanism. The standard push button folds the stock as usual for a 74M and pushing down on the hinge mechanism allows the stock to be locked in the fully open position for shooting. As normal for 74M side folders it will not fold with an optic mounted.

ZenitCo makes larger thumb style screws to replace the standard allen wrench versions

For those of you who do not want to get uber tacticooled out, you still have some options. This is actually my preferred setup though I confess I am really quite impressed by PT-1 Klassika and intend on swapping it out as the mood strikes. As you can see B10M and B33 coexist perfectly with an otherwise vanilla AK105 or 74M.

ZenitCo also makes some pretty nifty accessories for the AKSU (and RPK, among other things)

AKSU with B11 rail and Klesh light/laser combo

Bll closeup. I am very very impressed with this lower HG rail...the best I've seen for the AKSU bar none. B11 is 4.9 oz and uses the standard ASKU HG retainer to lock in place. (3.3 oz for a standard laminate AKSU lower HG)

B18 topcover AKSU rail
For those of you who don't want to drill the AKSU topcover for the Stormwerkz rail, ZenitCo makes a screw on rail that fits snugly. With a bit of locktite I can see this working very well. While it does put the optic higher than Stormwerkz does you can still use the irons with the B18 mounted. B18 weighs 1.9 oz

Klesh light
This is light and laser combo that weighs 6.9 oz. Not terribly impressive to me but it seems well made. It can function as light+laser or laser only mode though the toggle is hard to reach and seems better suited to the pressure switch that is included with the kit.

PK-1 grip
A tactical grip with internal compartment. Not much to say. 6 oz.

Last but not least is a very interesting side rail, the B13. This is a lightweight 6.0 oz rail that is lower than Alpha or NPZ and almost half the weight. The clamping mechanism is not as sturdy as the tried and true NPZ but appears will stand up reasonably well, though I would not be surprised if it failed sooner than the other two.

Miscellanious pics
AK105 with with RMR08. As a side note I like this optic due to size and weight but Obzor is actually a much better execution and outperforms the RMR dramatically when shooting from a dark position into a brighter one, for example being inside a building and shooting outside. Obzor is not perfect but RMR is next to useless unfortunately.

And here's the cowitnessing PO4x24P-2 I mentioned in a previous review.

Pricing
These will fluctuate based on whoever brings them in but a ball park prices in Russia appears to be:
B10M Lower HG $275
B10  Lower HG $275
B30  Lower HG $275
B31  Upper HG $150
B19  Upper HG $125
PT-1 Stock    $400
B13  Rail     $200
B11  AKSU HG  $200
B18  AKSU      $75

PT-1 4.5mm converter $75
PK-1 Grip      $75

As you can see the gear is not cheap by any means, to get the AK105 to the config in the pictures ran about $875 with the PK-1 grip.

All things considered the ZenitCo gear appears really well made, has a luxurious finish that appears pretty durable and except for the PT-1 itself are some of the lightest rails and mounts I've come across yet. I wasn't terribly impressed with Klesh because of the finicky on/off toggle which is nearly impossible to reach with your finger, but it really appears that it's intended to use the momentary pressure switch which would make the toggle a moot point.

My favorite pieces of the kit are the B10M + B33 topcover and the B11 lower AKSU hand guard. PT-1 is neat but I have to mention the possible durability issues (though not for me personally, I do not anticipate I will be running the gear as hard as the professionals do). I have high expectations that the B33 will perform well with magnified optics in the return to zero department and I do intend on systematic testing as the weeks roll by to see where it ends up.

Final thoughts are that the gear is pricey and  out of the casual AK users reach but apparently the demand for their products is very high in Russia among professional operators.  

Z
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome write-up and great photos.  Thanks for sharing.

ETA - What is the method of attachment for these lower handguards?  It looks like they are secured just like a standard handguard.  Any barrel clamping?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]
As always, you have the most awesome badass stuff.

I'm honored to currently be in the same state as you, drinking lone star beer at the Gaylord Texan.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice write up TX-Zen and thanks. But do you happen to have measurements of the stock fully collapsed from the end of the receiver to the end of the butt pad and fully opened up from the same spots?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 5:22:43 PM EDT
[#4]
As always, great review. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Right on, finding any kind of U.S. reviews of this stuff is next to impossible, let alone all of this in one write up. Thanks for doing this man. Will you be adding the specs/weights of this stuff to the chart on your website?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I think TX-Zen and I are the only two people in the U.S. to have a Zenit folding stock right now, and honestly his pictures and review helped me puzzle out a few of the parts and features on it!
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Great pics and write up!
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 8:05:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, TX. You just saved me $400 that I didn't have This answered my question about using irons with that stock. I have been eyeballing it for a while now and I am glad I haven;t had the free cash to jump.

evl....
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Very cool! Thanks for the write up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Is there a dust-cover rear sight option, or is the railed dust cover purely for optics?
Man will that stuff start to add up.  Anything more than the plain B-10 and you'll spend more than the rifle cost.  I think the scope mount looks pretty suspect too, I wouldn't bet my life on that piece of kit.
Interesting stuff there, but a PO3.5 is probably more bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:45:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think TX-Zen and I are the only two people in the U.S. to have a Zenit folding stock right now, and honestly his pictures and review helped me puzzle out a few of the parts and features on it!
View Quote

Nope. There are actually quite a few.

Great write-up. Thanks for taking the time to review the Zenit components, Zen.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 5:20:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm really liking everything but the buttstock.  Very nice write up, thanks for all the info..  Oh and AWESOME guns you have there sir...
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Great review! Looks like some really cool(and pricey) AK gear! Im digging all of it really, but I agree OP all on one rifle looks to be too much.

I was wondering the same question thought the the lower HG clamp the barrel, if so, what kind of accuracy changes did you notice when shooting?

I gotta say though this makes me feel a whole lot better about the weight my VFR-AK added to my SGL21. Its only a tad a few oz heavier than this stuff.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 6:55:58 AM EDT
[#17]
that same box of Russian crap is on the way to my house as well. tax refund is just around the corner.

gonna have a pissed off wife
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

that same box of Russian crap is on the way to my house as well. tax refund is just around the corner.

gonna have a pissed off wife
View Quote

tacti-tard! LOL

Good luck with the wife. ????

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#19]
I want that lower for both a standard and the AKSU so badly.  I am going to be in Europe this summer wonder if I can get it cheaper there.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#20]
That lower handguard looks great. Any pics or info on their RPK stuff?
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow.  Leave it to the Russians to tacticool the AK in a way that actually looks cool.  I like the design of the this stuff, especially the handguards.  Looks like I need to set aside some money for some of this stuff, I think I need it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Does the Zenitko have a slight upward cant when open?  Or is that just the pictures?
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Does the Zenitko have a slight upward cant when open?  Or is that just the pictures?
View Quote

optical illusion, receiver has a slant cut. it looks parallel with barrel/receiver.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
optical illusion, receiver has a slant cut. it looks parallel with barrel/receiver.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That seems reasonable.  I was just curious.  My brothers VLTOR AR Adapter tube definitely has an upward cant on his Arsenal.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Gives it a sue do ak12 look
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I want that lower for both a standard and the AKSU so badly.  I am going to be in Europe this summer wonder if I can get it cheaper there.
View Quote

believe it or not- you will NOT be able to get it cheaper there. Some of the prices on the current Russian production optics/accessories are quite high over there. NPZ wants some stupid high price for the current Kashtan manufacture.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Where is the best place to buy these items if you are in the US? Or can you?
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Me likey the hinged top cover . May have to cough up the  money for one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 4:40:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Also, zen, how are you liking the nightbrake on the 105?  Better than the standard booster in terms of flash and recoil control?
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#30]
This is the design I have been asking some one to make. It should always form up right to the receiver right. As for the extended upper they should release a version that snugs up to the sight block and continues on to the end without cutouts for the old upper HG retainers. If one is going to commit to this they have the option to remove the upper hand guard retainers leaving a clean gas tube under the upper rail.

Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Nice write up TX-Zen and thanks. But do you happen to have measurements of the stock fully collapsed from the end of the receiver to the end of the butt pad and fully opened up from the same spots?
View Quote

Sorry I missed that....it's 8.25" from the hinge collapsed, 11.25" from the hinge fully extended. Standard poly is about 9.5"

Quoted:
Awesome write-up and great photos.  Thanks for sharing.

ETA - What is the method of attachment for these lower handguards?  It looks like they are secured just like a standard handguard.  Any barrel clamping?
View Quote

It uses the standard HG retainer on the barrel like all other HG's do.

Quoted:
Also, zen, how are you liking the nightbrake on the 105?  Better than the standard booster in terms of flash and recoil control?
View Quote

Love it so far but have not personally tested it. I watched a few youtube videos before I bought it that sold me on it, now I have one for the AK105 and one for the AKSU. I do like the short length and it's cosmetically well done also.

Quoted:
View Quote

Alex at russiansurplus.net has some of these items and Oleg on gunbroker has some of them also but I don't think anyone is importing them directly at this time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That lower handguard looks great. Any pics or info on their RPK stuff?
View Quote

Unfortunately no, but check out the ZenitCo site

Quoted:
Great review! Looks like some really cool(and pricey) AK gear! Im digging all of it really, but I agree OP all on one rifle looks to be too much.

I was wondering the same question thought the the lower HG clamp the barrel, if so, what kind of accuracy changes did you notice when shooting?

I gotta say though this makes me feel a whole lot better about the weight my VFR-AK added to my SGL21. Its only a tad a few oz heavier than this stuff.
View Quote

I have not had a chance to bench with this setup but as mentioned the HG's are secured with the regular HG retainer like any standard lower HG are. I don't believe it will have any different effect on the accuracy.

Quoted:
Is there a dust-cover rear sight option, or is the railed dust cover purely for optics?
Man will that stuff start to add up.  Anything more than the plain B-10 and you'll spend more than the rifle cost.  I think the scope mount looks pretty suspect too, I wouldn't bet my life on that piece of kit.
Interesting stuff there, but a PO3.5 is probably more bang for the buck.
View Quote

If you're talking about the B13 side rail mount, I think you might give it more consideration. I've got a lot of experience with various side rails and this is a really well made mount. I do agree this kit is expensive...I'm not into high dollar items like this by any means but I felt like I wanted to get to know it better. I do not know of a rear sight for it but you can use the irons properly if no optic is mounted.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Found their PKM and PKP page, but couldn't find any RPK stuff. I would love a railed lower HG like the AK one so I can put a VFG on my RPK.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#34]
love the look of the B-10 with the slotted vents on the side / rail on the bottom. Someone PLEASEEEEE tell me that lower handguard will fit with the Ultimak gas tube so I can keep co witness on my micro dot?!?  oh yea, and also that it will fit a Milled Bulgarian receiver?!
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 4:43:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

love the look of the B-10 with the slotted vents on the side / rail on the bottom. Someone PLEASEEEEE tell me that lower handguard will fit with the Ultimak gas tube so I can keep co witness on my micro dot?!?  oh yea, and also that it will fit a Milled Bulgarian receiver?!
View Quote
looks like the krink HG will work with an Ultimak.

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 5:07:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

the absolute reliable source would be Oleg on gunbroker. his user name is ok131583

100% great seller
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 5:18:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

the absolute reliable source would be Oleg on gunbroker. his user name is ok131583

100% great seller
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% great seller

Circle 10 AK has them for sale
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#38]

Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#39]
If your beloved ultimak fits in with normal AK-74 HG, it will work with this one as well. But why would you want to use ultimak?
Zentico's entire concept of B-10 and B-12 used together was designed to replace ultimak. Russians tested ultimaks and few other thingies they got from the US and they were not happy with them. That is how ZenitCo came in to accessories biz.
Their main complaint was that 99% of the tactical accessories  they have tried did not work well with GP-25. Well, it does not work well w/o GP-25 either, but it is just not as obvious. See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4TEoKgOLsY&list=UUoz4J9rP8rv9KmQbJpr-WoQ&feature=c4-overview

So, that is why ZenitCo is not installing ANYTHING on the gas tube itself. Everything is attached to the lower HG, which subsequently has to be seated as tightly as possible. But that is a topic of it's own.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 7:07:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

If your beloved ultimak fits in with normal AK-74 HG, it will work with this one as well. But why would you want to use ultimak?

Zentico's entire concept of B-10 and B-12 used together was designed to replace ultimak. Russians tested ultimaks and few other thingies they got from the US and they were not happy with them. That is how ZenitCo came in to accessories biz.

Their main complaint was that 99% of the tactical accessories  they have tried did not work well with GP-25. Well, it does not work well w/o GP-25 either, but it is just not as obvious. See this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4TEoKgOLsY&list=UUoz4J9rP8rv9KmQbJpr-WoQ&feature=c4-overview

So, that is why ZenitCo is not installing ANYTHING on the gas tube itself. Everything is attached to the lower HG, which subsequently has to be seated as tightly as possible. But that is a topic of it's own.
View Quote
because the ultimak will co-witness, such as stated to why he wanted to use it with the lower. Just because someone else decides that a certain item isn't what they prefer does not make said item obsolete.

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You mean this?
http://www.zenitco.ru/catalog/1717/1816/1780/

Something is telling me that ok131583 on GB will list one of these in the next few days or so ;)
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#42]
The guys over at Circle10AK just posted over on AKFiles saying they're Zenit Co. U.S. distributors now.

Some of the stuff is even up on their website already.

http://www.circle10ak.com/railsmounts.shtml
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
because the ultimak will co-witness, such as stated to why he wanted to use it with the lower. Just because someone else decides that a certain item isn't what they prefer does not make said item obsolete.

Yea exactly......Ultimak is tried and proven.......plenty people with 1000s of rounds and not a single issue, me being one of them......I deff want to keep co-witness and don't plan on using a grenade launcher
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats true...i mean- on semi-auto AK, without the gp25 Ultimak is a decent gadget. put it on a true AK-74M and you will see the difference, especially if you choose to mount an optic on it.  For the 99.9% of the American owners of semi-auto AKs will be just fine.

oh and MOSKAL BLYAT!!!!! LOL

Halopy idut!!!! Panskie Halopy!

LOL
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Not to derail this thread, but finally put some rounds through my nightbrake  on my 105 today. Thing is a massive flame thrower firing 7N6.  Recoil was fine, which there isnt much of anyway. Unfortunately I forgot to put my original 105 booster  in my bag to do a back to back comparison.  Every shot though shoots flames upward (which isnt too surprising considering the design). Just thought it might disperse it better than it did.
Link Posted: 2/25/2014 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#46]
I like that B18 AKSU rail, but I don't see it listed on the reseller sites yet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#47]
FYI, Zenitco has new version of B-19 mount, which is over the gas tube. This one is going to be as low as "ultishmack" and will seat your mini-aimpoint same way, allowing it to co-witness.
The benefit of this solution for all of you "two feet eye relief' lovers that it will be attached to the lower hand guard and seat over the gas tube (and everything that is going on inside it), but not directly on it on it.

P.S. Sorry, sarcasm is my second nature. Don't mean to offend anyone :)
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 9:05:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Edited...VA-gunnut
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 6:23:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top