Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2005 10:20:44 AM EDT
Let's get philosophical for a minute: When you do an AK build, are you striving for...

...poll incoming.

And why did you choose this approach?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:48:46 AM EDT
definitely for myself. I love AKs

I got into it because I wanted an AK pistol, for my concealed carry permit and becasue Klinton had said I couldn't have one for 10 years!!!!, and because I wanted something that NOBODY offered.

And I still want it.

A stainless Steel AK47.

I have come close, with nickel plating, but I still want pure stainless AK

I know the only way I will get one, is if I scratch build one, so this is all preperation for that day.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:58:21 PM EDT
I feel that basic functionality and reliability can be built into a kit whether or not your building for coolness, to look mil-spec or any of the other reasons. I'm building mine to look military, that said, I plan to shoot them allot. So I'm building them for reliability and functionality to.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:25:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Spiff:
I feel that basic functionality and reliability can be built into a kit whether or not your building for coolness, to look mil-spec or any of the other reasons. I'm building mine to look military, that said, I plan to shoot them allot. So I'm building them for reliability and functionality to.

+1, I think that's the best philosophy with AK's. It's what the AK was designed for.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:17:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bob1984:
+1, I think that's the best philosophy with AK's. It's what the AK was designed for.

Exactly, and what I should have said was that "I feel that basic functionality and reliability **should** be built into a kit".
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:20:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2005 9:21:43 AM EDT by HardShell]
I would love to answer "C" but in all honesty - once I had a couple of good, reliable ones that could do HD duty if necessary - I've built all the rest just for fun, just for me... so "B"!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:28:36 AM EDT
I am on a quest to collect as many military rifles as possible (or military like), so all 3 of my kits will be as close to their military cousins as I can reasonably make them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:09:02 PM EDT
Basic functionality.

Besides, the fact that I built it myself is cool!

TheOtherChris
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:34:48 PM EDT
When I refinished and threaded my post ban wasr it was purely for cosmetics and funtion. It doesnt look like a typical AK anymore and probablly wouldnt be liked by AK purists(and no I didnt put an AR stock on it).

On my romy kit Im going to try to keep it original. I figure I'll use semi-gloss black moly resin to refinish the rifle and then sand and refinish the wood as well. Im sure it will be a better looking rifle when I get done with it than what it would from the factory but thats ok.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:39:21 PM EDT
Voted for: "something else?"
As I build for all of the above choices except "To impress others..."
If they don't like it, fuck'em
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:30:06 PM EDT
In my opinion, it's hard to make an AK look bad. I feel the same way about AR's. Both rifles just look.....business-like. One glance at them, and there's no doubt as to what that business is.
Top Top