Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/26/2005 10:20:44 AM EDT
Let's get philosophical for a minute: When you do an AK build, are you striving for...

...poll incoming.

And why did you choose this approach?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#1]
definitely for myself.  I love AKs

I got into it because I wanted an AK pistol, for my concealed carry permit and becasue Klinton had said I couldn't have one for 10 years!!!!, and because I wanted something that NOBODY offered.

And I still want it.

A stainless Steel AK47.

I have come close, with nickel plating, but I still want pure stainless AK

I know the only way I will get one, is if I scratch build one, so this is all preperation for that day.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel that basic functionality and reliability can be built into a kit whether or not your building for coolness, to look mil-spec or any of the other reasons. I'm building mine to look military, that said, I plan to shoot them allot. So I'm building them for reliability and functionality to.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I feel that basic functionality and reliability can be built into a kit whether or not your building for coolness, to look mil-spec or any of the other reasons. I'm building mine to look military, that said, I plan to shoot them allot. So I'm building them for reliability and functionality to.

+1, I think that's the best philosophy with AK's.  It's what the AK was designed for.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
+1, I think that's the best philosophy with AK's.  It's what the AK was designed for.  

Exactly, and what I should have said was that "I feel that basic functionality and reliability **should** be built into a kit".
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:20:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I would love to answer "C" but in all honesty - once I had a couple of good, reliable ones that could do HD duty if necessary - I've built all the rest just for fun, just for me... so "B"!
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I am on a quest to collect as many military rifles as possible (or military like), so all 3 of my kits will be as close to their military cousins as I can reasonably make them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Basic functionality.

Besides, the fact that I built it myself is cool!

TheOtherChris
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#8]
When I refinished and threaded my post ban wasr it was purely for cosmetics and funtion. It doesnt look like a typical AK anymore and probablly wouldnt be liked by AK purists(and no I didnt put an AR stock on it).

On my romy kit Im going to try to keep it original. I figure I'll use semi-gloss black moly resin to refinish the rifle and then sand and refinish the wood as well. Im sure it will be a better looking rifle when I get done with it than what it would from the factory but thats ok.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Voted for:      "something else?"  
As I build for all of the above choices except "To impress others..."
If they don't like it,  fuck'em
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#10]
In my opinion, it's hard to make an AK look bad. I feel the same way about AR's. Both rifles just look.....business-like. One glance at them, and there's no doubt as to what that business is.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top