Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2005 4:40:20 AM EDT
A while back I posted a topic saying I had $400 to spend on an AK.  I got several responses, but have just never found anything that said "buy me".  So, what if I up my budget to around $550?  Now I'm in VEPR territory and would have already ordered one "VEPR K" if I could find one that wasn't backordered.  

I want something  (1) in 7.62  (2) no folders or kits right now (3) 16.5" barrel (4) black synthetic furniture (5) slant brake (6) stamped receiver.  Pretty basic stuff.

Suggestions, with sources, would be appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:05:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd look into a quality Saiga conversion.  I can't think of any sources at the moment.. someone will add some.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:07:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Upping the ANTE, not Annie.    
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:10:47 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Upping the ANTE, not Annie.    hr

Oops.  Its early.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, Vector has your exact description for $495 + $18 shipping.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:52:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Now we are cookin'! Those Saiga conversions look nice. One question, any reason you are looking for a stamped gun and not considering a milled gun?
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 5:56:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Now we are cookin'! Those Saiga conversions look nice. One question, any reason you are looking for a stamped gun and not considering a milled gun?

No, from what I've read there is really no reason to go with a milled receiver?  That and price.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:06:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#8]
If you get a Saiga conversion it can get pricey...if you want it done right...milled are nice but expensive....WASR10s CAN be nice if you find a good one but you have to look...I don't know about Vector although the one posted here looks sort of OK, although I prefer wood on my AKs.

Long story short, I would go for a WASR and get the US-made black stock set from k-var

If the budget was a little higher then I would go for the SA7 carbine like this

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...we don't get French benefits?

Yes we do......Whenever we need an Ally in the UN  they go out of their way
to Fu@k us.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:48:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Off of the Atlantic Firearms web site.

VEPR

German AK
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, from what I've read there is really no reason to go with a milled receiver?  That and price.

Milled receiver guns, like Arsenals are going to be a bit more than their stamped counterparts. I do not think that the difference would be that much though. The milled guns are really nice, a bit heavier and will dampen recoil. I can not say enough about the Arsenal guns. The SA M7 Carbine is really nice for the price. You could probably find one for just a bit more, you may end up being happier with it as well. They are awesome.

Check the EE, there are some SLR-101's and such there as well that may peak your interest.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:03:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

VEPR

German AK

The german one is a kit build.

Quoted:

A weld build?

For 500 you can build up a nice SAR, if you can find one, and you'll have a factory AKM receiver (minus the third hole).
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

VEPR

German AK

Quoted:

A weld build?

For 500 you can build up a nice SAR, if you can find one, and you'll have a factory AKM receiver (minus the third hole).

Couldn't have said it better myself .... I think I taught  clange everything he knows ... didn't I ?

... ...
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Well someone did, you can take credit if you like.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Get the Vepr. Even if you have to wait awhile, get the Vepr. It will be well worth the wait.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Okay, just called Vector to order a rilfle.  She told me a 14 month lead time.hinking.gif

Back to square one I guess.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:52:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Arsenal!
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
While builds are not overnight either, consider a $200 Polish underfolder kit which is a great start, sell the folder bits and front wood to cover the black poly stock set and new rear tang block from kvar, relax knowing that this set plus a $30 G2 fcg covers your US parts needs, then get it built.

Do homework, stalk EE, maybe hit a show, buy ammo/mags to hold you over.

If you want optics later, note that side rails are extra on some guns.

I was actually thinking about that.  I just keep thinking about the r/c plane I started a couple of years ago and haven't finished.  Like you said, if worse came to worse I could always get someone to build it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 3:32:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Milled receiver guns, like Arsenals are going to be a bit more than their stamped counterparts. I do not think that the difference would be that much though. The milled guns are really nice, a bit heavier and will dampen recoil. I can not say enough about the Arsenal guns. The SA M7 Carbine is really nice for the price. You could probably find one for just a bit more, you may end up being happier with it as well. They are awesome.

Check the EE, there are some SLR-101's and such there as well that may peak your interest.

+1

+2
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#24]
go Vector..Ive had mine for over a year now, looks showroom new, shoots like a champ...great accuracy for a AK47...id pay 2x as much as I did for my Vector its that sharp a piece.    It does fit the bill and then some.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:38:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a Vepr K that I love, but also I picked up a Arsenal SLR 101  Hi Cap with a scope mount new for 550.  Just another great option in that price range
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:42:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

German AK

Is there anything "wrong" with it or to shy away from?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#27]
http://www.elitefirearms.net/saigaconversions.php

http://ak-103.com/rifles.html

The AK-103K looks like an awesome gun. I like the AK-105 too, but you said no folding stocks! (the Krink stock IS an option by the way...)
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...we don't get French benefits?

Now that was funny!

"It's the Leaning Tower of Pisa, NOT Pizza!"
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#29]
 The Atlantic Firearms kit built rifle would be an excellent choice,
I have heard nothing but good things about them and I would think
that if there was a problem he would stand behind his products.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Go with the VEPR K. Check this link VEPRs day out They are sweet shooting guns. Very little recoil, and accuracy is amazing. At the range that day a friend brought his Bulgarian milled arsenal and I was not Really impressed, It was alright, but didnt see where it was in comparison to the Vepr. Its worth the wait and dont believe the hype about parts not being redily available, my mak 90 parts are all interchangable in the gun, and you can order anything from robinson you want. The only thing thats not interchangable with any other AK is the furniture, and it already has what you want

I want something (1) in 7.62 (2) no folders or kits right now (3) 16.5" barrel (4) black synthetic furniture (5) slant brake (6) stamped receiver.
But the most important thing is get what YOU want. This is my opinion and dont let anyone "Talk you into" getting a gun that you are unsure of. And dont settle for whats right here right now. If the VEPRs what you want then its worth the wait. My next purchase will be a VEPR in 7.62x39

ETA: You should check out the pic threads on the russian forums.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

German AK

Is there anything "wrong" with it or to shy away from?

Thanks

Not that I know of. I just generally like factory rifles over builds if at all possible.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top