Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2004 9:48:39 AM EDT
A russian weapon guy wrote that  the Saiga and Tigr rifles are purposedly watered down to reduce reliablility and durability, in order to satisfy the Russian law that civilian weapons must have 15% of the military capability takenout..  one of the things, supposed, is reducing the depth of rifling so the barrel will wear out faster.  Just wonder if anyone has paid attention to the rifling, in comparison to Bulgarian or Polish.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like bull shit to me!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#2]
watered down how? i cant find anything soggy in my two sounds silly to me
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds silly to me too.  If I used my Saiga full auto alot, I might see a difference in how fast it wears out.  Since it's a semi-auto rifle, I'll never know.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 3:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe they make the comrades on the production line drink some vodka, and thereby reducing their ability to build quality weapons by 15%???
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 3:20:01 AM EDT
[#7]
If they want rifles with 15% less durability, they take away the vodka from the workers!

BTW I've heard more than 1 "BS'ish" tale about Saigas and other Russian rifles... one is how Saigas crimp the neck of the casing after each bullet leaves the chamber. Some say its because Russian law requires commercial chambers to do that so the Russian LEOs can figure out if it was a civilian that commited a crime or if it was military.

However, the Russian VEPRs do not crimp the neck of the casing and they're exported as "sporter" rifles. Then there's the side that says the crimping only occurs with military spec chambers.

Now why would mil-spec chambers be required to crimp the casing? Perhaps its a Saiga-only thing?
VEPRs are made in a factory that used to make real military RPKs... I do not know if this has any bearing on the exported barrels/chambers.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If they want rifles with 15% less durability, they take away the vodka from the workers!

BTW I've heard more than 1 "BS'ish" tale about Saigas and other Russian rifles... one is how Saigas crimp the neck of the casing after each bullet leaves the chamber. Some say its because Russian law requires commercial chambers to do that so the Russian LEOs can figure out if it was a civilian that commited a crime or if it was military.

However, the Russian VEPRs do not crimp the neck of the casing and they're exported as "sporter" rifles. Then there's the side that says the crimping only occurs with military spec chambers.

Now why would mil-spec chambers be required to crimp the casing? Perhaps its a Saiga-only thing?
VEPRs are made in a factory that used to make real military RPKs... I do not know if this has any bearing on the exported barrels/chambers.

Gonna have to join you in that chorus of "BS" there!

How the heck does a rifle crimp a casing after it fires the round??? Not likely, unless it has an "active chamber" or some other type of BS...
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll have to do a little "field research" on this while I'm home this week by taking the 20" Saiga out to do a "random sample" of cases fired!

Thanks for the linky and the info!
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top