Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/7/2004 8:47:04 AM EDT
What should a Saiga 7.62x39 fired case look like?  The ones I have seen appear to have a "step" or larger OD between the shoulder and the case mouth.  This larger OD starts where the shoulder ends and extends to about half of the length of the entire neck.

Regards,

Multi-Tool
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#1]
The picture in the link below is an example of what I also have seen.  Is this normal?

forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=988

Regards,

Multi-Tool
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 4:55:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Russian law requires all new mfg. civilian rifles chambered for 7.62x39mm to have chambers cut different so the cases recovered from a crime scene can be identified as coming from a civilian or military rifle. The last batch of Saiga rifles imported were made after this law passed so the fired cases may look funny but it is normal. It won't effect the reloading of them it is just that the neck being worked so much with each resizing will lead to case neck splits quicker than cases fired in a standard chamber.
Link Posted: 8/10/2004 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/11/2004 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I reload for my Saiga as I like putting 5 shots inside 2" at 100 yards. I usally never get more than 3 reloadings on brass before I loose them in the grass/weeds.
The most cost effective way I have found to reload the 7.62x39mm for accuracy is to pull the bullets from Russian ammo. Dump the powder in the powder measure recharging the cases and then seat a Sierra .311" 125gr bullet. I just let the steel cases stay where they land. This way I don't loose exspencive brass cases or waste a lot of time hunting for them in the grass/weeds.
Link Posted: 8/12/2004 4:29:05 AM EDT
[#6]
JA545,

Have you tried the "Mexican Match" approach?  Just pull the old bullet and seat a new one?  Or are the Russian powder charges too inconsistent to make that effective?  

Also, who was your source on the Russian legal information and chamber specifications - EAA?

Regards,

Multi-Tool
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 2:16:28 AM EDT
[#7]

This is the results of pulling down 10rds of the above 2003 imported ammo. Notice the drawing of the bullet as both brands had the same bullet. The rear .003" is the correct diameter the rest of the bullet is .309". A sheet of printer paper is .004" so the bullet design really is too small for good accuracy. As you can see the powder charges have a pretty big spead in charge weights. Chronographing the other 10rds in the box resulted in a 150 fps spread in velosity. Here is another brand of Russian ammo imported in 2001. That while not as inconsistant as the other it still gave 100fps spread for 10rds.
By recharging the cases with powder and using a Sierra 125gr .311" bullet. I turn the factory ammo from shooting 6 inch groups at 100 yards into 2 inch group ammo.

I read about the Russian law on another board from a guy in Finland who bought a new Saiga rifle and called the importer when he noticed the cases.
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#8]
JA545,

This is really good info.  Extreme spreads of 100 to 150 fps are definitely not good for accuracy.   By the way, I called EAA and they also said that the Russians are doing this to mark the cartridges to support LE investigations.  Thanks for sharing your data.

Regards,

Multi-Tool
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top