Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 10:32:39 PM EDT
I can't find any info in the forum search. Can anyone give me a link or info on how to press rivits? like one of the presses Hourbor Freight sells? Please help
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't really tell you how to do rivets yet as I am still trying to figure it al out myself.  Just the same, I do have a collection of various Rivet pressing jigs and tools that were compiled by someone else...  I would love to give cridit but I don't know who compiled these...  They are in the following ZIP file...

quarterbore.com/ak-47/rivet_machines.zip

I am doing my first two builds as screw builds and I am planning to start them this weekend.  The tools to do a screw build are much less costly and time intensive then to do rivets but my third kit I am planning to do with rivets as it is a skill I just need to learn!

Edit:  When you look at the pics you can see pics for a special Rivet press, a receiver being pressed using improvised methods, and a person riveting a receiver using a bench vise...  Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:29:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I know gunsnet ain't exactly thought well of here, but some of their folks came up with a prett nifty way to do the front rivets using bolt cutters.    Seems like the cheapest and easiest method so far by a long shot:

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201454

Rocko
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know gunsnet ain't exactly thought well of here, but some of their folks came up with a prett nifty way to do the front rivets using bolt cutters.    Seems like the cheapest and easiest method so far by a long shot:

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=201454

Rocko

Thank you... I didn't see that before...  here are the directions that go with the bult-cutter rivet tool...

www.burly4x4.com/ak/ftrivet.htm
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info!!. I guess if I learned how to spell my searching will be alot easier.has
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#5]
You will have to remove the barrel from the trunnion to correctly rivet the trunnion to the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#6]
If your trunion is pressed, consider a Screw build...  Now, I hope to my first screw build this weekend...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:22:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info guys!! Most helpfull!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Have any of you used plinker762's rivet jig?

How big a press do you need?  Is a 10-ton pump/ram big enough, or is a 4-ton big enough?  (I'm looking at Harbor Freight's/Northern Hydraulic's porta-power presses - or do you need a 12 or 20 ton H press for best results?)

Thanks.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top