Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2010 5:16:09 PM EDT
Hi

I am looking for a lower synthetic handguard with a rail that will fit with an Ultimak upper on a SA-85m.
Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#1]
CAA LHV-47 lower handguard

Link Posted: 9/22/2010 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Scout Ill check it out
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 9:30:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Thanks Scout Ill check it out

Just so you know, these are made in Israel, so they won't do anything to help out your parts count for 922r.
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#4]
They should box up thousands and air drop them so the Arabs have Infidel handguards.
Link Posted: 9/23/2010 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried the CAA handguard a while back with an ultimak. Had to dremmel some of the plastic off the handguard to make it fit around the mounting screws that jut out a bit at the bottom of the ultimak. Dont really care for most of the CAA stuff. Still have it in a box pre "customized" if you want it

EDIT
I retract my off to sell the CAA handguard. I cant find the damn thing. Ill update those of you who have PMed already as soon as i manage to find where i put it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2010 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the offer Beef, what handguard did you end up going with.?
I'm not a big fan of CCA stuff either.  Handled some of it at a gun show and it felt flimsy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2010 10:15:38 PM EDT
[#7]
On one of my rifles i just went with the K-var handguard. I didnt need or want rails on that one and the K-var handguard fits around the ultimak mounting hardware with no problem.
The rifle I did want rails on, well, i splurged got the ultimak lower. Regularly around $200 or so retail, found a dude on the EE selling it for $160. Otherwise i probably would not have bought one.

If you want cheap and want plastic i think the Tapco handguard may fit. There is a guy on page 9 of the following thread that looks like he has one. You may want to run it by him and see if there are any issues with fit.
Link
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Most of the CAA stuff is junk, but the LHV47 is rock solid. I have a set on my Romy G and they work well. I did have a set of Kvar hand guards on it, but the Romy hand guard retainer was allowing them to move up and down. The CAA eliminated that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

the LHV47 is rock solid.

True statement.

Link Posted: 9/25/2010 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I had to modify the Tapco to fit, just an FYI.  If you have access to some sort of shop then its pretty easy.  A dremel should work fine too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info guys.  I guess I'll give the LHV47 a try.  If it doesnt work then I might just go with the ULTIMAK lower.
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#12]
You'll like it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2010 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#13]
If you decide to go with aluminum forend rails, be aware that not many will work with the ultimak mount (except ultimaks).  
I was asking about the same thing concerning the MI rails, and got this in response:

To all those concerned,

I was interested in your M1-B optics mount for the AK, but was wondering if anyone has ever used tri rails alongside, other than the ones made by ultimak.
I ask because I own a set of Midwest Industries rails, which clamp to the barrel.  Judging by the pictures the first U-shaped clamp of your optics rail would clear the
barrel clamp on a MI rail, but not the second.  I figured that if I could move the second barrel clamp on the M1-B 1 1/4" closer to the muzzle, it would also clear the MI rail clamp.
From what I could tell, the screws for the M1-B just slip through machined slots in the top part, and the threaded bit is on the U-shaped clamps.
So, If I could machine two vertical slots in the top part 1 1/4" closer to the muzzle it would all work out.  Is there anything else in the M1-B design that would prevent me
from doing this?  I would be interested in hearing from you.

Lyle Keeney
to me

Hi,

The mount is countersunk both top and bottom.  The countersink on top is round, to accommodate the screw head.  Underneath there is a rectangular pocket that accommodates the block-shaped, top, threaded portion of the clamp.  Moving a quarter inch would be possible, though the countersinks would overlap.  Hence, without a milling machine, or the very skilled use of a Dremel, you’d be making a mess out of a nice optic mount.  It might make more sense to move a clamp on the forend rail (I haven’t looked at it) or simply install an UltiMAK forend rail.

Cheers,

Lyle Keeney

UltiMAK, Inc.

Got a response in less than a day, was very impressed!
Link Posted: 9/26/2010 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Not to get off track but Lyle over at Ultimak is awesome.
The ultimak lower rail i purchased used on the EE came with no mounting instructions. After explaining this to Lyle via email he responded same day with PDF copies of all mounting instructions.
Link Posted: 9/27/2010 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, I have to have one of those rear stocks, Masterbeef.  Is that a Magpul?
Link Posted: 9/27/2010 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes it is a Magpul CTR with a 1/4 inch cheek riser, on a VLTOR stock adapter.
Link Posted: 9/28/2010 8:29:35 AM EDT
[#17]
One more vote for the CAA LH-47 handguard.

If you are going to use the side rail panels make sure you lock-tite the hardware, otherwise you are going to be taking it all apart again.
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes it is a Magpul CTR with a 1/4 inch cheek riser, on a VLTOR stock adapter.

Holy moley!  VLTOR doesn't give those things away, do they?
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Tapco Interfuse lower handguard.  I had to remove the heat shield and do some interior trimming with the Dremel.  Also, had to make clearnace cuts for the scews that hold the Ulitmak on.  Once done, it fits just fine.  The Magpul AFG v1 fits perfectly as well.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Tapco Interfuse lower handguard.  I had to remove the heat shield and do some interior trimming with the Dremel.  Also, had to make clearnace cuts for the scews that hold the Ulitmak on.  Once done, it fits just fine.  The Magpul AFG v1 fits perfectly as well.

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/ak103k-15.jpg

Do you have anymore photos? I have a SA-85M that I'm thinking of modifying and what you have done looks great!
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top