Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/5/2005 4:45:29 AM EDT
One of them I intend to completely refinish in GunKote so it won't matter but I would like to keep one original looking so I kind of want to finish the receiver to match the existing Romanian finish.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:10:52 AM EDT
Most Romys I have seen are sand blasted and then blued. Yes, it looks parkerized, but I don't think it is.

Try a little rust remover on a hidden area and I would bet the color comes off. That would not happen with a parkerized finish .. at least I don't think it would.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:55:52 AM EDT
The last Romy I got looked very much like park, not like blue at all. I matched it pretty damn well by heating the receiver then painting with BBQ grill paint. Then when the paint dried I rubbed the receiver down with an oiled rag. It looks pretty damn good. I can post pics if you want.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:52:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:
The last Romy I got looked very much like park, not like blue at all. I matched it pretty damn well by heating the receiver then painting with BBQ grill paint. Then when the paint dried I rubbed the receiver down with an oiled rag. It looks pretty damn good. I can post pics if you want.

That would be very helpful. Also, what brand, color and finish of bar b q paint did you use? I haven't shopped for BBQ paint before so I don't know if there are different finishes or not.

Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:09:58 AM EDT
I purchased an already parked receiver from Global. Here's how it looks put together:

I'm going to BBQ paint it to cover the rivets and to protect the barrel. If I get it hot, it burns off the CLP and will have a fine layer of rust overnight.

Originally Posted By MrDo:
One of them I intend to completely refinish in GunKote so it won't matter but I would like to keep one original looking so I kind of want to finish the receiver to match the existing Romanian finish.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:55:52 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:29:39 PM EDT
How well does it stand up to brake cleaner and other harsh solvents?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:05:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 7:06:33 PM EDT by tapeo1]

Originally Posted By bloodsport2885:
How well does it stand up to brake cleaner and other harsh solvents?

My guess would be not very well. It probably holds up to Hoppes #9 and such but not anything with acetone and or brake cleaner. I could be wrong though. GunKote and MolyResin are the only ones that I know of that will stand up to harsh solvents... again, I may be wrong about this too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:08:36 PM EDT
Word has it that brake cleaner will make bbq paint run. I don't plan on using brake cleaner, so I'm thinking of using it. Of course, for only about $10, I could get a can of Alumahyde from Brownells....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:18:21 PM EDT
Romainia uses a rather quikie zinc-phosphate finish. Current US Mil-Spec parkerizing will look similar but is much more durable. Currently use manganese as it's base rather than zinc.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:08:32 PM EDT
I don't use brake cleaner on my AK so whether or not brake cleaner takes my paint off is a moot point. In fact I rarely ever clean my AKs at all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:24:27 PM EDT
What brand of reciever is that?....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:50:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 9245:
What brand of reciever is that?....

That receiver is a flat that I got from DPH Arms.
Top Top