Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 4:45:29 AM EDT
One of them I intend to completely refinish in GunKote so it won't matter but I would like to keep one original looking so I kind of want to finish the receiver to match the existing Romanian finish.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:10:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Most Romys I have seen are sand blasted and then blued.  Yes, it looks parkerized, but I don't think it is.

Try a little rust remover on a hidden area and I would bet the color comes off.  That would not happen with a parkerized finish .. at least I don't think it would.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The last Romy I got looked very much like park, not like blue at all.  I matched it pretty damn well by heating the receiver then painting with BBQ grill paint.   Then when the paint dried I rubbed the receiver down with an oiled rag.  It looks pretty damn good.  I can post pics if you want.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The last Romy I got looked very much like park, not like blue at all.  I matched it pretty damn well by heating the receiver then painting with BBQ grill paint.   Then when the paint dried I rubbed the receiver down with an oiled rag.  It looks pretty damn good.  I can post pics if you want.

That would be very helpful. Also, what brand, color and finish of bar b q paint did you use? I haven't shopped for BBQ paint before so I don't know if there are different finishes or not.

Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I purchased an already parked receiver from Global.  Here's how it looks put together:

I'm going to BBQ paint it to cover the rivets and to protect the barrel.  If I get it hot, it burns off the CLP and will have a fine layer of rust overnight.

Quoted:
One of them I intend to completely refinish in GunKote so it won't matter but I would like to keep one original looking so I kind of want to finish the receiver to match the existing Romanian finish.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
How well does it stand up to brake cleaner and other harsh solvents?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
How well does it stand up to brake cleaner and other harsh solvents?

My guess would be not very well.  It probably holds up to Hoppes #9 and such but not anything with acetone and or brake cleaner.  I could be wrong though.  GunKote and MolyResin are the only ones that I know of that will stand up to harsh solvents... again, I may be wrong about this too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Word has it that brake cleaner will make bbq paint run.  I don't plan on using brake cleaner, so I'm thinking of using it.  Of course, for only about $10, I could get a can of Alumahyde from Brownells....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Romainia uses a rather quikie zinc-phosphate finish.  Current US Mil-Spec parkerizing will look similar but is much more durable.  Currently use manganese as it's base rather than zinc.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't use brake cleaner on my AK so whether or not brake cleaner takes my paint off is a moot point.  In fact I rarely ever clean my AKs at all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#11]
What brand of reciever is that?....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What brand of reciever is that?....

That receiver is a flat that I got from DPH Arms.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top