Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2007 5:21:53 PM EDT
I'm in the market for my first AK, and I've narrowed it down to either Lancaster or Vector, from Atlantic Firearms.  I'm currently favoring Lancaster because:  It's slightly cheaper, has Gun-Kote over the Parkerizing, and a chrome lined barrel.  Does anyone else own a Lancaster?  How's it perform?  Should I jump for Vector's models instead?   Thanks, I love the boards.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
what kind? of ak? both landcaster and redstick firearms come with good ratings. better get one soon the prices aregoing up.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Lancaster's are good AK's, and have a pretty good reputation. But for overall quality, fit, and finish, I'd put the Vector's maybe 1 small step above the Lancaster's. The only gripe I've ever had with the Lancaster's was that the furniture "fit" seemed to be a little inconsistant on their rifles. Some good, some just OK. Personally, I think the Vector's are the next best thing to an Arsenal. Just an opinion...!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Good rifles. Sister in law has a Lancaster. I like it for the money that you pay. The fit and finish with on the rifle is great. No problems at all. 100%
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#4]
As mpoppel asked for specific models, I'm going for either the AKM 47RM from Lancaster, or the ,AK V 47 , Classic from Vector.  Both are just your basic configuration 7.62 Stamped receiver type.  Also, do either of those come with trapdoor buttstocks?  The descriptions don't mention it, and I can't tell from the picture.  Thanks for all the responses!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Lancaster AK.  It is the AKM-47 TR.  I am very happy with it the fit and finish were great.  I was so pleased with it I decided to order an AK pistol with the 9.5 in barrel from them. Here is their actual site http://www.shooterssupplyco.com/AK%2047%20PAGE.htm.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Lancaster had a booth at the last local gun show, I bought a Lancaster Polish underfolder and a blonde funiture AK-47.  The fit and finish on both were excellent. Both are very straight.  I was so glad to see they had a booth, I got to hand pick the ones I wanted.  None of the guns they had on display seemed to have any cant or finish issues. Some had better wood than others.  They are both great shooters so far.  I've only put about 400 rounds through each so far.  I will be buying the deeper red finish version at the next show(if they are there).
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Lancaster purchased from Atlantic. Good folks!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

I have a Lancaster AKM that is great. No problems, here.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I was curious myself about the Lancaster builds. Who makes their receiver? Is it milled or stamped; do they provide both?
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I've only seen them offered with stamped, but they do have some built around the 1.6mm heavy receiver.  I'm about to buy one, thanks for the feedback.

*edit* I've just checked Lancaster's website, they do offer miller receivers.  They call this series the "AKM 47T Milled." Prices around $900, don't know which retailers have them though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine would not extract fired cases from the chamber, so I had to call them up, and they were very friendly and polite, and had me ship them the rifle, and they fixed it and returned it with a bonus free rifle case. They said that all lancaster firearms have a lifetime warranty, and it did not matter if it was used or new (mine was new) they would fix it.

Fit and finish on mine is excellent, and after how they handled my problem, I would not hessitate to recommend them.

Quoted:
I've only seen them offered with stamped, but they do have some built around the 1.6mm heavy receiver.  I'm about to buy one, thanks for the feedback.

*edit* I've just checked Lancaster's website, they do offer miller receivers.  They call this series the "AKM 47T Milled." Prices around $900, don't know which retailers have them though.

I would rather have a bud lite receiver
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Lancaster rifles have been a great line for us, a few problems here and there but both Lancaster & Atlantic has no problems standing behind them

+1  
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I have one. They are of fair quality. My old vector was better in terms of fit and finish. I do not know how the new vectors are. For a little more I would get an AK from Arizona Response Systems as the fit and finish is better. Both use Romanian G parts although the Lancaster is a pre 1980 model if that matters to you.  The ARS I have shoots a tighter group and is a mid 1980s model.  My Lancaster had some trigger issues, dust cover was very loose,  and had some rust on the receiver under the rails and front trunion. I fixed everything  myself as these are AKs and not museum pieces.  It shoots like an AK  and  is bettter than a WASR.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#15]
get the vector and dont look back
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
Mine would not extract fired cases from the chamber, so I had to call them up, and they were very friendly and polite, and had me ship them the rifle, and they fixed it and returned it with a bonus free rifle case.hey
Fit and finish on mine is excellent, and after how they handled my problem, I would not hessitate to recommend them.

height=8
Quoted:

I would rather have a bud lite receiverhat
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Agreed 100%

I have one and love it.

I hear the polish kit Vectors may be a bit better, quality wise, but my Lancaster Romanian-kit gun has been great and the quality/fit/finish are excellent.  It's got about 500 rounds through it and isn't even broken in.  I don't regret my purchase one bit.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#18]
After seeing all the issues on this board that Lancaster rifle owners, have, I'd pass.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#19]

After seeing all the issues on this board that Lancaster rifle owners, have, I'd pass.

BIG +1
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a Lancaster Polish underfolder 1.6mm. I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#21]

although the Lancaster is a pre 1980 model if that matters to you

That is somewhat of a false statement.  I just looked at my Lancaster with the 1.6mm receiver and it is dtd 1982.  I haven't seen anybody say they had issues for quiet a while with Lancasters.  I think the problems some people had were early on and I think sence then the quality control has improved greatly.  When I get my ak pistol from them in a few weeks I will post pics and a short review, but I am sure I will be 100% happy with it.  Remember Lancaster gives a LIFETIME WARRANTY.  What other company here does that?

If any of my statements are false please chime in and correct me.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Buy an ARSENAL, can't beet them in any way. I think they are the best AK out there right now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:37:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Arsenals are top grade stuff....but as far as best deal going....they can be BEAT.....dont have to spend $700-$1000 on an AK to get a great product
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#24]
What I meant was my lancaster was built from a Romy G with a date code of 1979. My ARS was built from a 1983 model. However my ARS shoots tighter groups. I do not know if this is due to the builder or the Romy kit used. Some prefer the older kits as the quality is supposed to be better. I have I have no idea when Lancaster built mine. It has a serial number less than 50 so it could have been put together a few years ago for all I know.  I bought it three months ago new from Atlantic.  Both the ARS and the Lancaster use an NDS-3 receiver. The ARS I have is cut for a double hook FCG and the Lancaster has a singe hook FCG. Both use a modified Tapco G2 FCG. Lancaster did do some grinding on the back of the hammer while ARS modified the hammer and disconnector. I appreciate the Lifetime warranty on the Lancaster. However, it still will cost me $40 or so sending it back to Atlantic or Lancaster so it is not a free warranty.

I had some "hammer follow" issues with my Lancaster and some cosmetic rust issues. I decided to fix it myself rather than to take advantage of the warranty and it works fine now. The Lancaster is my "beater" Ak so I really dont care what it looks like. It now works and functions fine.  Overall, it is an Ok build. BTW I also had an Arsenal with trigger slap issues and a vector that shot bigger groups so no builder is perfect.

Quoted:

That is somewhat of a false statement.  I just looked at my Lancaster with the 1.6mm receiver and it is dtd 1982.  I haven't seen anybody say they had issues for quiet a while with Lancasters.  I think the problems some people had were early on and I think sence then the quality control has improved greatly.  When I get my ak pistol from them in a few weeks I will post pics and a short review, but I am sure I will be 100% happy with it.  Remember Lancaster gives a LIFETIME WARRANTY.  What other company here does that?

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What I meant was my lancaster was built from a Romy G with a date code of 1979. My ARS was built from a 1983 model. However my ARS shoots tighter groups. I do not know if this is due to the builder or the Romy kit used. Some prefer the older kits as the quality is supposed to be better. I have I have no idea when Lancaster built mine. It has a serial number less than 50 so it could have been put together a few years ago for all I know.  I bought it three months ago new from Atlantic.  Both the ARS and the Lancaster use an NDS-3 receiver. The ARS I have is cut for a double hook FCG and the Lancaster has a singe hook FCG. Both use a modified Tapco G2 FCG. Lancaster did do some grinding on the back of the hammer while ARS modified the hammer and disconnector. I appreciate the Lifetime warranty on the Lancaster. However, it still will cost me $40 or so sending it back to Atlantic or Lancaster so it is not a free warranty.

I had some "hammer follow" issues with my Lancaster and some cosmetic rust issues. I decided to fix it myself rather than to take advantage of the warranty and it works fine now. The Lancaster is my "beater" Ak so I really dont care what it looks like. It now works and functions fine.  Overall, it is an Ok build. BTW I also had an Arsenal with trigger slap issues and a vector that shot bigger groups so no builder is perfect.

Quoted:

Now you need to build your own.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top