Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2004 9:53:17 AM EDT
Earlier I made a couple of posts soliciting discussion of the relative merits of the AK (see AK Advice for Rifle Novice and AK vs AR: More Specific   ) versus the AR, the latter of which I’ve been working with for about a year-and-a-half. Despite a couple of decades behind pistols and revolvers, the rifle is relatively new to me and -- after having learned a little about the AR – I figured the time was ripe to examine some of the alternatives. Hence, under the Subversive Influence of ARFCOM member and moderator Templar, I was persuaded to borrow his Arsenal Inc. SAM-7 S for the rifle-side match of the August IDPA at Cavalier Rifle and Pistol Club in Virginia.

Now I’m not exactly a stranger to pistol matches around central VA, having started in IPSC in the early 90’s and then joining IDPA soon after its inception. Yet ever since folding the rifle into the mix, I have felt some sense of struggle using the AR…..which my standing the scores well reflected. Like many, I assembled an array of various aftermarket hoo-haws and widgets to improve the gun, but in my case never seemed to have much effect on the shooter (with the single possible exception of an EOTech holosight, but I just could never feel right about relying on a “battery-powered” gun).

When it was finally my turn at the match with Templar’s AK, I told myself that the timer doesn’t exist and I’m there solely for an overall impression. Well folks, next thing I knew I was putting holes in things 50 or more yards away, and making steel sing from 100 yards. The AK’s notch-and-post sight was giving me that good-ol’ target picture I was used to from handgunning. (Using the theoretically superior ghost ring of the AR, I could never tell where the $%&*@! the thing was pointed ! ) Overall balance and handling also was effortless and without conscious thought. Although I had been well informed of certain “disadvantages” such as mag changes, I just popped out the empty and in the refresh without a hiccup…..and summarily kept on blammin’!

Templar has already generously posted accolades (see Well, looks like we converted another one! Congrats to BlackScot!). I am most humbly honoured among all who participated in this match. Tomorrow afternoon I go to receive my very own SAM-7 S……As brother Templar observed to me: “Best weapon since the spear.”

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:09:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Way to go. Let the addiction begin!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the darkside, when the high priced low drag boys with all their toys choke, you can pick your rifle up out of the mud and go bang!!!!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome...
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#4]
AR's own touraments... and wars
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#5]
How then can an absolute green-horn toast over half of the other shooters, most of whom were using tripped-out AR's?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#6]
BlackScot, welcome to the other gun-crack.

Every time an AK is purchased a liberal has a stroke.

We have plenty of liberals, please buy more!

By jar3ds:  AR's own touraments... and wars

WTF is a "touraments"?  You give me some US grunts and outfit em' with AKs and I gaurantee you the AK will fast become known as the winner of wars.  It ain't the tool, it's the monkey wielding it that makes it effective.

Sly

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:28:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome To The Dark Side BlackScot ! I've been kinda quiet lately,lifes been getting serious,but you made the best choice.AKs are'nt for everyone but its good to see an AK Guy find himself.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 5 AR /2 H&K 91/2 ak 308 and 7.62x 39  and i will pick up an AK or H&K over any AR15 any day ask anybody that comes back from a sand storm over seas how there M4 did not work after it was in the desert for a few days how can you shoot back if have to clean your rifle first
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:25:15 PM EDT
[#9]
That's why I sold my AR's. When you take a $1500 AR to the Range and a $180 SKS and you enjoy the SKS more ,well you know what time it is!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top