User Panel

Site Notices
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 87 of 90)
Page / 90
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Techsan02:
Yeah, guess I should read more...so any idea how/why mine broke? Any special tools needed to replace it? I did some more searching and it sounds like some people have to send the entire rifle in and some people get Ruger to send them a replacement piece.
View Quote
I removed the firing pin assembly from the bolt group using the tool that unscrews from my bolt shroud. I removed the tool from the firing pin assembly.

I placed the cocking arm onto a crow's foot (it was what I had). It worked perfect - it supported both sides of the arm and there was room for the pin to come out. You could use the open end of a wrench or whatever you have that will support it and let the pin come out.

I tapped out the pin with a punch and then unscrewed the cocking arm from the firing pin. They include a new pin in the package with the new cocking arm.

I cleaned everything up, put some grease on the firing pin threads, and screwed the new cocking arm on. You need to push it onto the threads due to the firing pin spring. It does not take much force, a kid could do it.

I made sure the "notched" portion of the firing pin was aligned with the hole in the cocking arm and drove the pin in.

I compressed the spring using the bolt lever and an expended 6.5 cartridge I had. Once the spring was compressed I re-inserted the tool.

I lubed everything up and put it all back together.

I do not think the whole thing took 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 12:33:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Iggyort] [#2]
This bag rider looks interesting:

RPR Adjustable Bag Rider (ABR) Review
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Well Ruger said they would need the whole rifle. I guess I’ll be sending it in, not a huge deal really.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 10:43:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Well Ruger said they would need the whole rifle. I guess I’ll be sending it in, not a huge deal really.
View Quote
Is Ruger paying for the shipping?
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 11:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By EzGoingKev:

View Quote
Not him, but they should.  My GP100 went out of time and I had to send it back in and Ruger took care of all shipping for me.  Their CS really is excellent.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I called back today and they are going to pay for shipping...for a new part that I’ll replace!

Much easier. But they were going to pay for shipping of the rifle both ways. Glad I got a CS rep today that was open to sending me the part.  Should be here after turkey day.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#7]
What replacement handguard is working for you guys?

Has anyone experienced the mag release failing?  I’ve got a mag stuck in a very early RPR.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Question for those of you who shoot your RPR suppressed.

I have a gen 2 in 308

Suppressor is DA Sandman L

Checked it with a rod, and all is well.

I keep getting endcap strikes.

When I shoot sub sonic it get more of an impact than when shooting non subs.

I have used different end caps for the different rounds.

Strikes are on the clock position no mater the velocity of the round.

I noticed on the Atomic Ammo page that they recommend a 1/12 twist.

Shield I change my barrel?

Suppressor is fine, ran 50 rounds of 5.7 with a 556 end cap.  No a single kiss of the bullet on the endcap.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By mjrowley:

I have a gen 2 in 308

Suppressor is fine, ran 50 rounds of 5.7 with a 556 end cap.  No a single kiss of the bullet on the endcap.

Thank you!
View Quote
Mine is a Gen 2 5.56 RPR but I shoot it supressed almost 100%. Running a Rugged Surge without any problems. I do have a .223 end cap for ti but just use the .30 cap so if I do swap the can over to another rifle I wont have to remember to switch the cap, which I know I would forget
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 2:06:14 PM EDT
[#10]
these guys have a 1/12 twist

Ruger Precision Barrels

does any one know if they are GTG?
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I shoot my gen II  .223 almost 100% suppressed with the AWC Raider and have not experienced a strike.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#12]
What's the story on the .338s?   I'm in the market for a .338 or bigger precision gun and this seems like the best deal for the money.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
What's the story on the .338s?   I'm in the market for a .338 or bigger precision gun and this seems like the best deal for the money.
View Quote
wait 6 months and search the used market. I anticipate a flood of them, lightly used. a shit load of guys bought them because they were really the first "affordable" and abundant .338 LM so there was a novelty that will start to wear off once non reloaders figure out $3-5 per pull at ranges inside of 500y isnt much fun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 03PSD:
wait 6 months and search the used market. I anticipate a flood of them, lightly used. a shit load of guys bought them because they were really the first "affordable" and abundant .338 LM so there was a novelty that will start to wear off once non reloaders figure out $3-5 per pull at ranges inside of 500y isnt much fun.
View Quote
That's pretty much the current plan.  I have a 6.5 cm to finish first
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#15]

I have a gen 2 in 308

Thank you!
View Quote
Gen2 6.5cm, shoot 99% suppressed.

Not a single kiss of the end cap. I’d be looking at your mount, if it’s passing with a rod, and getting strikes while firing, is look at the mount.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By M4-AR:

Not a single kiss of the end cap. I’d be looking at your mount, if it’s passing with a rod, and getting strikes while firing, is look at the mount.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4-AR:

I have a gen 2 in 308

Thank you!

Ditto - Gen2 6.5, 100% suppressed with no issues (TBAC can).
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By simplefolk:

Ditto - Gen2 6.5, 100% suppressed with no issues (TBAC can).
View Quote
Same here.  100% suppressed Gen 2 6.5 CM.  Using SiCo Omega
Never an issue.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently purchased a Gen 3 6.5 and had picked up a Viper PST Gen 1 6-24X50.  I ended up getting the optic for a ridiculous price which is why I went with it. I am finally getting around to purchasing rings for it.  I was looking at the Vortex and Seekins rings. Any advice on Ring height?  I was looking at the Seekins 1.45 AR High set.  
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 175BFD:
I recently purchased a Gen 3 6.5 and had picked up a Viper PST Gen 1 6-24X50.  I ended up getting the optic for a ridiculous price which is why I went with it. I am finally getting around to purchasing rings for it.  I was looking at the Vortex and Seekins rings. Any advice on Ring height?  I was looking at the Seekins 1.45 AR High set.  
Thanks
View Quote
I run the Vortex AR one piece mount that way I can swap to my AR if needed. I would go with the extra high. I had a set of the 1.45 Vortex and they were a tad low for me, but my buddy loved them so they went to him.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks
View Quote
You want AR height rings.

The rear stock on the RPR is inline with the bolt, just like an AR. If you go with shorter rings you lose any height adjustment in the stock's comb.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 1:56:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Was there any new RPR stuff announced at SHOT show?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:14:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ_Sky] [#22]

The rear stock on the RPR is inline with the bolt, just like an AR. If you go with shorter rings you lose any height adjustment in the stock's comb.
View All Quotes
Thanks

I agree.
I have two RPR's and I use Vortex Precision Matched rings 1.45" on both and both wear Vortex Viper HST6-24 X 50 scopes.
Here is a picture of my RPR 6.5 PRC with the Vortex 1.45" rings and the Vortex HST 6-24 X 50 scope - I wouldn't want any shorter rings than these:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 2:18:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-AR] [#23]
Thanks
View Quote
I went 1.5

For me it the perfect height

Link Posted: 1/28/2020 6:22:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the info.  Now my question is Seekins or the Vortex.  Im guessing that Seekins makes the Vortex rings for them?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the info.  Now my question is Seekins or the Vortex.  Im guessing that Seekins makes the Vortex rings for them?
View Quote
They're both very good quality, I'd go with which ever one you can find at the best price.
I'm very satisfied with the Vortex rings, but I'm sure I'd be just as happy with the Seekins.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Got a RPR Magnum in 300 Win Mag.  Picked it up today at my LGS and man, pictures don't do it justice.  This gun is MASSIVE.  There were a few guys in there that all came over to see it when I removed it from the box.  They thought it was some sort of Barrett 50 BMG at first as they were oohing and aahing over it.  One of the guys finally asked and I told him that while it's a massive rifle, it's actually a Ruger Precision Rifle chambered in 300 Win Mag.  They were still pretty intrigued by its size even after they found it wasn't a 50.  It's definitely an intimidating looking rifle.  Recoil is probably going to be really soft on it.  I got some 220gr Barnes Match ammo for it which should do well in the 1:9" twist.  Want to get some Berger VLDs, too.

Can't wait to get it out to the range in a couple weeks.  I got a Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock to throw on it as well as I don't care for the Ruger stock.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I was wondering if anyone has or knows someone looking to replace their Samson Gen 1 15 inch keymod rail they would be interested in selling. Its the version with the full rail on the top of the handguard.

I like this version better than the gen 2 or gen 3.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:49:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 03PSD:
Mine is a Gen 2 5.56 RPR but I shoot it supressed almost 100%. Running a Rugged Surge without any problems. I do have a .223 end cap for ti but just use the .30 cap so if I do swap the can over to another rifle I wont have to remember to switch the cap, which I know I would forget 
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03PSD:
Originally Posted By mjrowley:
Question for those of you who shoot your RPR suppressed.

I have a gen 2 in 308

Suppressor is DA Sandman L

Checked it with a rod, and all is well.

I keep getting endcap strikes.

When I shoot sub sonic it get more of an impact than when shooting non subs.

I have used different end caps for the different rounds.

Strikes are on the clock position no mater the velocity of the round.

I noticed on the Atomic Ammo page that they recommend a 1/12 twist.

Shield I change my barrel?

Suppressor is fine, ran 50 rounds of 5.7 with a 556 end cap.  No a single kiss of the bullet on the endcap.

Thank you!
Mine is a Gen 2 5.56 RPR but I shoot it supressed almost 100%. Running a Rugged Surge without any problems. I do have a .223 end cap for ti but just use the .30 cap so if I do swap the can over to another rifle I wont have to remember to switch the cap, which I know I would forget 

Well I took my RPR and my AR10 out today.

I wanted to zero in the RPR’s scope.  Got it zeroed in with out the Sandman L.

Put Sandman on could not even hit the paper at 50 yards.

Looked at endcap saw a new “kiss”.  
I’m still waiting on new endcap from Dead Air so I’m using the old ones of been kissed before.

Took a sharpie colored in the metal shot different ammo same thing.

I guess I better state that I did look at the paper for keyholing and there was none with the ammo I was using.

Made sure the AR10 scope was sighted in without suppressor.

Put sandman on AR10, point of impact shift was a couple of inches. With no kisses.

So I guess I need to get my barrel and muzzle device looked at.

Oh all rounds were Standard velocity Ammo.

Sigh
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone know if you are able to change the 18" rail on the magnum RPRs to something smaller like a 15"??
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Commando223] [#30]
Just ordered a new Ruger PR .308 in FDE just wondering if anyone uses a Specwar762 with theirs? any issues mounting the Silencerco ASR muzzle device?
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:05:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Toying with the idea of getting a RPR in 308. Had a RPR in 338 but sold it due to recoil messing with my from multiple surgeries. Has anyone bought the 308 version, and changed the barrel to a 26 inch barrel? The 338 version was one sweet rifle. Reason why am considering the 308.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Toying with the idea of getting a RPR in 308. Had a RPR in 338 but sold it due to recoil messing with my from multiple surgeries. Has anyone bought the 308 version, and changed the barrel to a 26 inch barrel? The 338 version was one sweet rifle. Reason why am considering the 308.
View Quote

Why do you want a 26" .308 barrel???
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By M16A4:

View Quote

If he’s shooting 1K yards it will help. Every inch counts when shooting that distance.  If he’s just beating it around then 26 inches is a little long.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:05:13 AM EDT
[#34]
If someone is shooting 1k yards and looking for something easier on the shoulder I would think 6.5 CM would be a much better choice.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#35]
Had a 6.5CM a few years back. Sold it. To finicky with bullet selection. My last Savage 10T hit 4 out of 10 @1000 yards with 178 ELD-X. Had a case of the dumb ass and sold it to fund a Savage 10 FCP. Didn't like the 178's so moved up to the 200 ELD-X, which is shoot great. Both have 24 inch barrels. Haven't had the chance to shoot the FCP out to 1000 yet. Hopefully soon. The 22 inch barrel on the RPR to me is to short. IF I decide to get one, and since I would replace the barrel anyways, was just checking to see if anyone went up to a 26 inch barrel to see if it was worth it. 308 doesn't bother my back like the 338 LM did. But the fit and finish of the RPR 338 impressed the hell out of me. As stated above, every inch counts. I reload so I tweak my 308 rounds which tend to be a bit hot.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#36]
If someone is shooting 1k yards and looking for something easier on the shoulder I would think 6.5 CM would be a much better choice.

YMMV
View Quote

Yep!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Moosehead3:
I was wondering if anyone has or knows someone looking to replace their Samson Gen 1 15 inch keymod rail they would be interested in selling. Its the version with the full rail on the top of the handguard.

I like this version better than the gen 2 or gen 3.
View Quote

I have one...Shoot me a PM
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By AGR1279:

If he's shooting 1K yards it will help. Every inch counts when shooting that distance. If he's just beating it around then 26 inches is a little long.

Dan
View All Quotes

If he's shooting 1K yards it will help. Every inch counts when shooting that distance. If he's just beating it around then 26 inches is a little long.

Dan

How so?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#39]

How so?
View All Quotes

Dan

How so?

It will make it bitch to move around.  In my opinion.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#40]

YMMV
View Quote

It depends on the type of shooting he's doing.  If it is precision shooting (Not PRS) using bull's eye targets the extra distance will help.  Even though M118LR (175SMK) projectiles are on the edge of transonic at 1K yards.  Most electric targets have issues picking up the projectiles going through the target unless its moving at least 1180 fps.  I tried shooting a AR-10 style 7.62 using a 20" tube and it was hit or miss about the microphones picking up the projectiles.

If he's shooting Palma Style Matches it can be either 308 or 223.  If you watch the Palma shooters they have a minimum of 26 inch barrel and the max 308 is 155 grains.

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor Upper for my AR-10 for shooting 1K yards and I don't disagree.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:29:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#41]
Not shooting any matches. Could just swap out the chassis so I can use better magazines. Savage sucks when it comes to magazines. Dam things always disconnect before unloading a 10 round mag. When I did have a savage in 6.5CM, put it in a cadex chassis and used ACIS mags with great success. Other problem is the binding when trying to fast load. All my savages (4) have done this. The RPR action is smooth. Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Do you guys recommend removing the top rail and adding loctite on a new rifle or does it already come ready to go?

I watched one YouTube video where a guy said to remove the screws add loctite and torque them down as they ended up coming loose.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Commando223:
Do you guys recommend removing the top rail and adding loctite on a new rifle or does it already come ready to go?

I watched one YouTube video where a guy said to remove the screws add loctite and torque them down as they ended up coming loose.
View Quote

I never did and as far as I know @finslayer83 didn’t either. I know I’m at around 750 rounds through mine and he’s probably double that.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:

I never did and as far as I know @finslayer83 didn’t either. I know I’m at around 750 rounds through mine and he’s probably double that.
View Quote

Thank you for your reply I'm gonna leave it as is and trust that Ruger installed it correctly.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#45]

Thank you for your reply I'm gonna leave it as is and trust that Ruger installed it correctly.
View Quote

I lock tighted the one on my 6.5 but not the one on my .223. I put the torque wrench on and if it moved was my deciding factor.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 10:59:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Any decent deals on a ruger precision rimfire in 22lr? Can't seem to find one in stock anywhere. I want my son to have a clone of my rifle.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:07:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Gdirty5:
Any decent deals on a ruger precision rimfire in 22lr? Can't seem to find one in stock anywhere. I want my son to have a clone of my rifle.
View Quote

Ron's Discount lumber in Howe Ok had one a few weeks back. I didn't pay much attention other than the .22 Mag was cheaper. I asked why and the clerk said they don't move as well as the .22 RF's.
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

I lock tighted the one on my 6.5 but not the one on my .223. I put the torque wrench on and if it moved was my deciding factor.
View All Quotes

You happen to know the torque spec for the top scope rail?
Link Posted: 5/31/2020 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Ron's Discount lumber in Howe Ok had one a few weeks back. I didn't pay much attention other than the .22 Mag was cheaper. I asked why and the clerk said they don't move as well as the .22 RF's.
View Quote

OK is a no go for me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

I used the specks from the fat wrench sheet bases.
Page / 90
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 87 of 90)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top