Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2018 7:55:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: winddummy82]
Attachment Attached File

The rifle is a .223 1-8" twist Kreiger barrel

compass lake free float tube built by USAMU

Nightforce SR-2 scope

Geissele base and trigger.

https://www.facebook.com/USAMU1956/posts/10156834221139734?comment_id=10156837954844734&reply_comment_id=10156846615504734if_id=1533325032981205if_t=feed_comment_reply

Link Posted: 8/4/2018 2:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice shooting
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
Nice shooting
View Quote
that 600 yd group at a sanctioned & refereed match! that's some serious equipment and shooting!
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Well done, very impressive!
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:28:18 AM EDT
[#4]
@sagmill

care to share with the class which Geissele mount and trigger was used?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:38:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I understand the trigger is HIGH SPEED NATIONAL MATCH.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 11:27:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sagmill:
The AMU uses our Hi Speed exclusively and has been doing so for about a decade.

The mount was one of the first Super Precision NM ones off the mills.  We didn't even anodize it but sent it down for approval right away.  I guess SFC Green never took it off!!!!!

WHG
View Quote
Nah man, all the OG ones in the white are still in service, mostly on the AR10s!

S/F
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:
Thread was about what Top 100 users used ...

Answer = free stuff
View Quote
Lotta civs in the 100 too...
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:59:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 21BoomCBTENGR] [#10]

Answer = free stuff

View Quote
It’s about the WINNER of Presidents 100 and his equipment, not about the 100 people who placed.

This is a tech thread so staying in your lane and not cross firing would be the idea.

@winddummy82

Any idea of what the load was for the rifle?
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By 21BoomCBTENGR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

According to GS5414,

200SF, 300RF ammo for them is Atlanta Arms 77gr SMKs. Most other service teams are using Black Hills Mk262 Mod 1.

600SF AMU ammo is a LC case, about 0.025" neck tension, 24.2-3 gr. H4895, Berger 75gr VLD, I forgot the primer but Fed 210Ms or Fed AR, jumping 0.035" in a USAMU chamber (extremely long throated chamber, well past a Wylde - actually not idea) unless they happened to use a different reamer post Gene Clark's retirement.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 7:22:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I shot next to SFC Green during the NTI. It was impressive to watch on what was a perfect day. I was also impressed as he helped new shooters while shooting impressive scores.

A good man and gracious shooter for sure.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Very impressive
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:01:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
According to GS5414,

View All Quotes

According to GS5414,

200SF, 300RF ammo for them is Atlanta Arms 77gr SMKs. Most other service teams are using Black Hills Mk262 Mod 1.

600SF AMU ammo is a LC case, about 0.025" neck tension, 24.2-3 gr. H4895, Berger 75gr VLD, I forgot the primer but Fed 210Ms or Fed AR, jumping 0.035" in a USAMU chamber (extremely long throated chamber, well past a Wylde - actually not idea) unless they happened to use a different reamer post Gene Clark's retirement.
Awesome, I knew they used Atlanta for practice but wasn’t sure what their match stuff was.  I wonder if they’ve tried the TMKs in testing...

Also, here’s the final shot of the match, right in the ten-ring!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome, I knew they used Atlanta for practice but wasn't sure what their match stuff was.  I wonder if they've tried the TMKs in testing...

Also, here's the final shot of the match, right in the ten-ring!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92630/8C4D1AC6-C64F-4270-97D3-A4CEEFA0B289-645345.JPG
View All Quotes

According to GS5414,

Awesome, I knew they used Atlanta for practice but wasn't sure what their match stuff was.  I wonder if they've tried the TMKs in testing...

Also, here's the final shot of the match, right in the ten-ring!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92630/8C4D1AC6-C64F-4270-97D3-A4CEEFA0B289-645345.JPG
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Awesome, I knew they used Atlanta for practice but wasn’t sure what their match stuff was.  I wonder if they’ve tried the TMKs in testing...
View Quote
Not the AMU - just Atlanta. I do have a few military team guys experimenting with them now. 69gr. TMKs first, then 77gr. TMKs.

But first step is to uniform the guns.

S/F
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 11:25:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Answer = free stuff

View Quote
larue have you lost your cotton pickin mind? im positive SFC Green's rifle wasn't free! im positive the USAMU has big budget to sustain the unit. im positive the USAMU bought and paid for in full the equipment SFC Green used to clean the trial! the army is well known for paying the bills. don't begrudge the unit because they can afford to buy and use the best shooting gear on the face of the planet. furthermore that rifle and kit was ISSUED to SFC Green to use. sorry if you don't understand this concept! if you don't believe me contact the USAMU yourself and ask the officer in charge how this works. while your at it call the following to see if they get paid for selling the USAMU top shelf equipment!

*Kreiger

*Compass Lake

*Nightforce

*Geissele

after you get done calling the vendors you owe the USAMU a apology for accusing them of being a deadbeat customer!

rant off/
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 5:48:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

this is the mount the USAMU buys for the team?
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 3:31:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: winddummy82] [#21]
It's about the WINNER of Presidents 100 and his equipment, not about the 100 people who placed.

This is a tech thread so staying in your lane and not cross firing would be the idea.

@winddummy82

View All Quotes

Answer = free stuff

It's about the WINNER of Presidents 100 and his equipment, not about the 100 people who placed.

@winddummy82

Hand loads with virgin LC brass. No clue about powder and primers etc. No ADI 69 grain is shooting that group!

@21BoomCBTENGR
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 9:31:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#23]
It'd be an experience to shoot in the "Hundred".
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 1:52:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By GS5414:
Not the AMU - just Atlanta. I do have a few military team guys experimenting with them now. 69gr. TMKs first, then 77gr. TMKs.

S/F
View All Quotes

S/F
@GS5414

Can you give any details on what “uniform the guns” means?

Love to hear any tricks that were done to them that us mortals can do to help us pretend we’re capable of that level of shooting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Lomshek:

@GS5414

Can you give any details on what “uniform the guns” means?

Love to hear any tricks that were done to them that us mortals can do to help us pretend we’re capable of that level of shooting.
View Quote
Ah, what the hell... I was kind of done posting here because some of the idiots were becoming stifling but I'll help y'all out here.

Uniforming guns means to, in the context of unit weapons issue, to mirror the configurations, dimensions, and build procedures from gun to gun.

This makes it easier to repair and upgrade guns, maintain them due to similar torque specs, and especially handload for multiple guns. Imagine if you had a team with 50 NM rifles, but each of them had different chambers and throats. It is not fun for a precision ammunition loader to have to test each one individually and load to each one in big numbers like that.

All it takes is to have similar chambers and throats (and the rest of the gun, for that matter), and one universal load that works really well can be had.

One guy forgets to bring his ammunition to the line? No problem. An assistant or head coach can grab extra assigned ammunition from any nearby team shooter and distribute it to the forgetful fella. No worries of compatibility.

As far as rifles go, there really are no super special tricks - just good components, put together right. Anyone can get an upper from Compass Lake (my preference, with some personalized tweaks) or WOA and be competitive at top levels.

There's guidance on trigger weight and behaviors, balancing, testing, training, mental management, wind reading, data extrapolation, etc. that I could give but it would take me too long to say here. It literally would take writing a book to tell y'all everything, or running an in-person class.

The key is discipline. How badly do you want to win, and what are you willing to sacrifice to get here? It doesn't take a lot of rounds, but it takes a lot of discipline and an unwillingness to cut even the smallest corner.

S/F
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Ah, what the hell... I was kind of done posting here because some of the idiots were becoming stifling but I'll help y'all out here.

Uniforming guns means to, in the context of unit weapons issue, to mirror the configurations, dimensions, and build procedures from gun to gun.

This makes it easier to repair and upgrade guns, maintain them due to similar torque specs, and especially handload for multiple guns. Imagine if you had a team with 50 NM rifles, but each of them had different chambers and throats. It is not fun for a precision ammunition loader to have to test each one individually and load to each one in big numbers like that.

All it takes is to have similar chambers and throats (and the rest of the gun, for that matter), and one universal load that works really well can be had.

One guy forgets to bring his ammunition to the line? No problem. An assistant or head coach can grab extra assigned ammunition from any nearby team shooter and distribute it to the forgetful fella. No worries of compatibility.

As far as rifles go, there really are no super special tricks - just good components, put together right. Anyone can get an upper from Compass Lake (my preference, with some personalized tweaks) or WOA and be competitive at top levels.

There's guidance on trigger weight and behaviors, balancing, testing, training, mental management, wind reading, data extrapolation, etc. that I could give but it would take me too long to say here. It literally would take writing a book to tell y'all everything, or running an in-person class.

The key is discipline. How badly do you want to win, and what are you willing to sacrifice to get here? It doesn't take a lot of rounds, but it takes a lot of discipline and an unwillingness to cut even the smallest corner.

S/F
View Quote
Makes total sense!  Thank you.

Please don't let the dumbasses run you off.

I'm in no danger of beating SFC Green's record but appreciate the technical info you've shared and the why and how of getting better stuff in service member's hands.  I think there are far more folks who take your info to heart than there are shit stirrers who like throwing rocks to hear glass break.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 3:30:14 PM EDT
[#27]
...or running an in-person class.
S/F
View Quote
No idea if that's ever a possibility but I'd bet you sell out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
Glad it helped.

I do have a training company but I haven't yet taken it on the road yet or really advertised. It was meant for MIL/LE dudes at first, but I'm thinking of opening it up to some one or two day rifle/pistol courses. No cookie cutter stuff, no mindless mag dumping, and no tactics. Could do NRA/CMP stuff as well, but I haven't put any thought to that as of late.

If you got ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears as to what people want (rather what they think they want. I'll give em' what they need ).

I did have a thought - what's your NM rifle configuration and ammo type/s? I can diagnose some of that stuff here and now pretty quickly.

S/F
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 11:11:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lomshek] [#29]

Glad it helped.

I do have a training company but I haven't yet taken it on the road yet or really advertised. It was meant for MIL/LE dudes at first, but I'm thinking of opening it up to some one or two day rifle/pistol courses. No cookie cutter stuff, no mindless mag dumping, and no tactics. Could do NRA/CMP stuff as well, but I haven't put any thought to that as of late.

If you got ideas or suggestions, I'm all ears as to what people want (rather what they think they want. I'll give em' what they need ).

I did have a thought - what's your NM rifle configuration and ammo type/s? I can diagnose some of that stuff here and now pretty quickly.

S/F
View Quote
I'm not a competitor right now just wanting to get some time to do it.

I'm an Appleseed shoot boss & state director and USPSA match director.  With all that plus kids I haven't had enough time to do more than learn and try to improve on my own as I push my instructors to learn better ways of shooting so we're not just teaching the best of 1950's marksmanship techniques.  Figure if we're going to spend a weekend teaching people to shoot rifles accurately we might as well do all we can to improve the course of instruction so we're not teaching functional but outdated concepts.

I'm hanging up my USPSA MD hat this year after almost 10 years and my 17 year old is finishing up his Eagle Scout project & graduating high school so I should have a little more time next year.

Hopefully that will let me do a few HP matches.  Biggest headache otherwise is the closest one is 2 1/2 hours away.

The rifle I'll be using for comps at first is just a Daniel Defense M4LW with a 1-4 Burris MTAC (not the best for dialing).

I do OK prone but my offhand game isn't much.

I shot these groups prone and slung up at 685 yards on a buddy's property with the wind at my back using 80gr SMK's in my DDM4.  I called the "flyer" as a jerked shot but only called it left not left and high.

Attachment Attached File

As far as a class I would imagine teaching people how to deliver quick accurate fire at 600 yards and closer (maybe 800 if you think that's possible in a two day class) would be a nice hook for the average skilled enthusiast rifle shooter.  I don't know if you'd call it a DRM class or what but it would draw more in than just a CMP/NRA class maybe although I'd take that too.

I'm looking to host a full distance Appleseed (100 to 500 yards) in 2019 to get more of my cadre and better students some experience.  Because of Appleseed's instructor certification I need to take the class before I can teach it too so will be bringing in some of the better national instructors to teach it.  That would get folks up to a level that you wouldn't be wasting your time teaching folks how to shoot a group and they'd have some grasp of drop and wind before taking yours.

If you're anywhere in the midwest or willing to travel to Kansas I'd be happy to coordinate something in the future.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#30]
That's good shooting with a .223.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TXBO:
That's good shooting with a .223.
View Quote
Thanks (if that was directed at me and not SFC Green).

I really want to take it up a notch and (at least as important) learn more about how to teach to a higher level.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#32]

Thanks (if that was directed at me and not SFC Green).

I really want to take it up a notch and (at least as important) learn more about how to teach to a higher level.
View Quote
Indeed it was.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By _ERIK_:
I was also impressed as he helped new shooters while shooting impressive scores.

A good man and gracious shooter for sure.
View Quote
That makes him far more impressive.  When helping others, or running matches, I find that my scores go down by 15-25%.   I have discussed this phenomenon with other match directors, and they have reported the same thing.  I think people who help new shooters, and are gracious are far more impressive than a jerk who can shoot higher scores.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:29:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: winddummy82] [#34]
Originally Posted By Hawkeye29:
It'd be an experience to shoot in the "Hundred".
View Quote

@Hawkeye29

it sure would!

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/could-you-put-6-shots-in-the-10-RING-and-4-shots-in-the-X-RING-from-600yds-away-/5-2139480/
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 8:36:28 AM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
...or running an in-person class.
S/F
I think a class or video that goes over the very basic and often overlooked fundamentals of highpower shooting would go over damn good. a short explanation and demonstration of what you should be doing and why.

heels on the ground

sling placement

finger placement on the trigger

buttstock in the pocket

nose to charging handle etc etc
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 6:05:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: winddummy82] [#36]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Glad it helped.

S/F
View Quote

Get that class on the road....

I'll be there....
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 6:07:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Harv24:

Get that class on the road....

I'll be there....
View Quote
#metoo
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:
#metoo
View Quote

Come shoot the 100 with us!
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:52:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Brandon Green is and has been one of the most consistent and best service rifle shooters in history. He shoots bolt guns just as well.

If memory serves me right the President's 100 award is given to the top ten percent shooting in that tournament. It's rarely exactly the top 100, you would have to have exactly 1000 competitors.

Mark Larue should contact the USAMU with a great deal on 100 of his barrels for testing and competition use. Maybe he will end up being mentioned in the winner's circle.

Link Posted: 1/9/2022 11:54:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:

If memory serves me right the President's 100 award is given to the top ten percent shooting in that tournament. It's rarely exactly the top 100, you would have to have exactly 1000 competitors.
View Quote
No, it's the 100. The top 20 go to the shoot-off.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By sagmill:

I'll second that!
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By winddummy82:

larue have you lost your cotton pickin mind? im positive SFC Green's rifle wasn't free! im positive the USAMU has big budget to sustain the unit. im positive the USAMU bought and paid for in full the equipment SFC Green used to clean the trial! the army is well known for paying the bills. don't begrudge the unit because they can afford to buy and use the best shooting gear on the face of the planet. furthermore that rifle and kit was ISSUED to SFC Green to use. sorry if you don't understand this concept! if you don't believe me contact the USAMU yourself and ask the officer in charge how this works. while your at it call the following to see if they get paid for selling the USAMU top shelf equipment!

*Kreiger

*Compass Lake

*Nightforce

*Geissele

after you get done calling the vendors you owe the USAMU a apology for accusing them of being a deadbeat customer! https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_soapbox.gif

rant off/
View Quote

Free to the end user. Service rifle competitors don't pay for anything. In fact, they are paid to compete.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top