Now onward to Extra.

Originally Posted By HAWK347:
Passed tech and general this am.  

congrats X 2!!!

questions for both of you...

1) your background, if i may ask?
2) how often/much did you study?
3) distance traveled to the exam site?
4) type of exam site? (library, school, civic center, etc)
5) total time it took you to complete your exam(s)?
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE?

thanks, and well done!

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 11:18:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#2]
Originally Posted By LaughingClown:
Thanks, gunna be a loooong night!

i have one comment on this –– you really only need to be able to recognize a dozen symbols or so.  there are a lot of esoteric symbols which you will not see on the exam in any way, shape, or form –– nor will you see them outside of the scope of detailed schematics.

in general, if you can recognize the following,
–– voltage sources, incl AC and DC.
–– passives, the big 3: L, C, R ... inductors, capacitors, and resistors
–– diodes, including generic, LED, Zener, and varicap types.
–– transistors (PNP and NPN)
–– FETs (there are a zillion types, just be familiar with what a typical FET symbol looks like)
–– transformers, including center tap
–– fuses
–– switch symbols (SPST, DPDT, etc)
you are all set to go on with life.

ETA:
above are symbols used in the "analog" domain, but there are about 87 more symbols used for digital logic.  don't concern yourself with these digital symbols –– as digital circuits serve no practical purpose whatsoever and the world only needs 5 computers anyway.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_J._Watson#Famous_misquote

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/11/2011 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I passed! I passed! I passed! Both Tech and General this morning, and my wife passed the Tech too! Thanks to everyone for your help!

Originally Posted By ar-jedi:

congrats X 2!!!

6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE?

thanks, and well done!

ar-jedi

Ar-jedi, I know these questions will be coming so I'll go ahead and answer them:

1) Background is in biology so have had a little physics here and there

2) Read both ARRL Manuals and studied the flash cards / tests at hamexam.org, probably a total time off and on of 2-3 weeks an hour or two a day

3) About 5 miles

4) Community College

5) 10 or so minutes each

6) About a month

Link Posted: 6/11/2011 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]

HVAC contractor

Studied for almost a week, 2-3 hours/day

about 10 miles

County EOC

Less than an hour for both

1 week

Thanks for the Ham101 thread and all the other info here

Link Posted: 6/11/2011 12:50:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#5]

guys –– thanks for the info above.

these questions are designed to dispel some preconceived notions that non-amateur readers of this thread may have regarding ham radio in general, and also specifically regarding the logistics for licensing.

if i read one more time over in ARFCOM SF something along the lines of  "i'm not a 'techie' so i can't get a ham license, plus it seems like a pain in the butt to have to find someplace to take a test!" my head is going to explode.  well not really, but you get the idea.  

as we have seen from the responses to my impromptu questionnaire, folks from all walks of life are getting licensed with minimal outlay of time and at a minimum distance from their homes. we have seen RN's, dispatchers, network admins, biologists, tradesmen, and others go from from "interested" to "licensed" in less than a month, with no more than 20 hours invested and a total round trip commute to the test location averaging about 15 miles.  

good stuff!

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 12:51:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wganz] [#6]
1) your background, if i may ask? RN/Data Analyst; last time I soldered anything was in freshman shop class in 1969.
2) how often/much did you study? did 2~>4 QRZ test/daily about 4xweek, took about 20 minutes/session; weekly total 1.3 hours/week
3) distance traveled to the exam site? for the Technician test, ~8 miles; General test, ~1 mile
4) type of exam site? (library, school, civic center, etc) civic center
5) total time it took you to complete your exam(s)? 10 minutes
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? ~6 weeks, could have been shorter but wanted to wait to HamCon to get'er done

thanks, and well done!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/11/2011 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#7]

1) your background, if i may ask?Radio Control aircraft about 16 yrs, Dad is an Electrical Engineer, 10 yrs USAF C-130 Loadmaster.
2) how often/much did you study?7 days a week for two weeks between 30minutes and 3 hours per day. Started out with Tech until passing in between 95-100 then moved on to General. Same with Extra. Never got above 80 on Extra but I tested anyway.
3) distance traveled to the exam site?65 Miles only because I missed the test date at my local club.
4) type of exam site? (library, school, civic center, etc)Club owned clubhouse.
5) total time it took you to complete your exam(s)?20 Minutes Tech, 20 Minutes General, (30 Minutes Extra, missed by 2 questions)
6) total duration from when you said "i'm going to do this" to getting your CSCE signed by the VE? About 16 days.

ar-jedi

Since I never answered the questionnaire, here ya go
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#8]
ar-jedi

That's it, I've decided I'm gonna do it.  I got the ARRL guide for technician.  I went ahead and got a Yaesu FT-270R so I can listen while I study just to get used to the etiquette.
I plan on taking the exam at the end of this month, or end of July.  I'm tempted to get the study guide for General and go for both.

Question.  I'm trying to program my HT for the few repeaters in the area and not sure if I'm doing it right.  There is a ragchew scheduled at 8p.m. tonight I was gonna try and listen to but it's silent.
It's freq. 146.150 with a PL of 107.2. Do I need to enable CTCSS encoder to Tone and then set tone mode to 107.2 and that's it?

Thanks for all the info, and I'll keep you posted!  Most of the test exams I'm about 60-70% already after 1 day, but I went to college for computer engineering(never graduated young and stupid), but deal with electrical circuits daily.
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:14:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#9]
Originally Posted By proto_moose:
That's it, I've decided I'm gonna do it.  I got the ARRL guide for technician.  I went ahead and got a Yaesu FT-270R so I can listen while I study just to get used to the etiquette. I plan on taking the exam at the end of this month, or end of July.  I'm tempted to get the study guide for General and go for both.

we are here to help!  

Question.  I'm trying to program my HT for the few repeaters in the area and not sure if I'm doing it right.  

what manufacturer/model HT do you have?

There is a ragchew scheduled at 8p.m. tonight I was gonna try and listen to but it's silent.

have you heard anything on this repeater before?  have you gotten any audio out from the radio?  if you tune to your local NOAA weather radio frequency (click), can you hear anything?

It's freq. 146.150 with a PL of 107.2. Do I need to enable CTCSS encoder to Tone and then set tone mode to 107.2 and that's it?

you do not need to enable the encoder to receive.  the encoder is only used when transmitting, which you aren't doing yet.  there may be a PL decoder as well in your radio, but for the time being do not enable it as it will only confuse things.  so, turn off all encode/decode functions, including PL and DCS if your radio is so equipped.  tune your radio to 146.150MHz, FM mode.  you should hear, over the course of the day, activity on the repeater.  some repeaters autonomously "ID" every 10 minutes, whether there is activity on it or not.  so you may hear a computer-generated voice announce something like, "N2xyz repeater, the time now is 6:15pm".  

Thanks for all the info, and I'll keep you posted!  Most of the test exams I'm about 60-70% already after 1 day, but I went to college for computer engineering(never graduated young and stupid), but deal with electrical circuits daily.

ok good on you.  i'm going to put an important note in bold below, it is not only for your benefit but for others as well.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 6:21:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#10]

folks,
please note:

THE GENERAL EXAM POOL IS UNDERGOING A SCHEDULED
CHANGEOVER ON JULY 1ST, 2011.  

THE QUESTIONS ON GENERAL EXAMS TAKEN AFTER THAT DATE
WILL DIFFER SOMEWHAT FROM PRIOR GENERAL EXAMS.

hence:
it is important that you study/review the correct question pool ––
if you plan to take the general exam prior to July 1st, study/review the current question pool using current study guides and current practice tests.
if you plan to take the general exam on or after July 1st, study/review the new question pool using new study guides and new practice tests.

see also
http://www.arrl.org/question-pools
and
http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=350  <–– until July 1st 2011
http://www.ncvec.org/page.php?id=358  <–– after July 1st 2011

ps:
note that the current Technician and Extra pools are not changing on this date.  
updates to these two pools have not been scheduled yet.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/14/2011 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#11]
passed the Upgrade tonight-General, requested next sequential call-sign...if it sux (or is another 2x3), it's onto vanity

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SCWolverine:
passed the Upgrade tonight-General, requested next sequential call-sign...if it sux (or is another 2x3), it's onto vanity

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Congrats!

Link Posted: 6/14/2011 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Some_Beach:

Congrats!

Yep Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 12:36:08 AM EDT
[#15]
requested next sequential call-sign...if it sux (or is another 2x3), it's onto vanity

Technician and General all come from the same callsign pools (Group C, or if exhausted as almost all are, Group D).  So you'll just get a later sequential callsign than the previous one you had as a technician.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
requested next sequential call-sign...if it sux (or is another 2x3), it's onto vanity

Technician and General all come from the same callsign pools (Group C, or if exhausted as almost all are, Group D).  So you'll just get a later sequential callsign than the previous one you had as a technician.

it was a near mortal dilemma, and I couldn't find a good answer from anyone there...bit the bullet; shoulda' just left well enough alone, I reckon....
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#17]
@ar-jedi
Listened to the net last night, I can hear the NOAA, now I've got my HT sitting by my desk listening to the daily chatter.

Gonna go for my tech June  25 if my schedule works out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 11:09:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Okay, I'm new to the board and found this because I've stocked (almost) everything I need except comm equipment. Started looking into two-way radios and found myself drifting here. Then after two-days of skulking, have decided I cannot afford to NOT have my ham license and am wondering why I never knew this world existed and why I don't ALREADY have it! So, in short, I've decided to study up and to sit for technician and general exams. However, work is forcing me to take the Certified Floodplain Manager (CFM) exam next week (I'm a contractor for FEMA - no, don't ask me which camp you'll be in when SHTF, I'm in mitigation) and then I'm out of town for a while after that. So, my target date is to study during that time and take the exams sometime in late July.

I've printed, punched, and bound the Technician question pool as well as the no-nonsense study guides for Technician and General by Dan Romanchik. Anything else I should absolutely get my hands on? Any words of advice? As of this moment, I literally know NOTHING about amateur radio, but I hope to change that soon and by hamming it up by August.

Also, I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'd also love advice/input on small, durable handhelds under $250 that I could use to stay in contact with my fellow SHTF contingency planners who are 1 to 12 miles away from in MD, DC, and VA and then head 105 miles south then 160 miles west to a bug out location as a unit, on foot if necessary.

I also have three friends/family members who are likely going (read: I am forcing) to take the exams, as well. Thanks for this thread; I think it will be a great jumping off point for me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#19]
oh man, you really blew it...falling in over here has proven dangerous...but no worries-no matter what happens, we just blame it on ar-jedi

Study Material-be aware that the General Question Pool is to change at the end of June 2011 (question pools are renewed every 4 years).  Make sure you are studying what some label as "the New General" not the "current".  You're safe on Tech, it's pretty new!  

At last night testing session-9 tested for tech, all passed, 4 of those tried General (one of which was prepped for General) and 2 passed, the other 2-13 y/o twin girls didn't pass, but didn't do "too bad" I was told

I received a hint back when I began to study (cram).  Take that question pool you have and mark through (in black) all the wrong answers-that way you can only see what is the correct answer. (disclaimer: I am in no way suggesting you don't learn the material just sharing what was presented to me).

There are some online free and pay services that tutor you in the Ham realm.  For my General, I used the ARRL Study guide (as shared through the Pay it Forward Topic-THANKS curiousrelic) and subscribed to HamTestOnline Link . 18.38 hours of studying- Well, was it worth it?....tested last night and only missed 1-I'm pleased and anticipate using it again if I go for Extra.

As to the low cost HT––search Wouxun here in the forum, it's a bottom line sub-$120 dual band HT that some around here (like myself) are enjoying.

good luck-
Link Posted: 6/15/2011 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Woot! Call sign posted today!  KK4CQO  
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice job, HAWK347!! Any advice for an aspiring noob taking the test in a month?
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Praetor:
Nice job, HAWK347!! Any advice for an aspiring noob taking the test in a month?

Thanks. Just read the study guide and keep taking the practice tests until you are scoring in the 90's consistently, thats what I did. Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:34:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Some_Beach] [#23]
On hamexam.org, you can take practice exams and use flash cards. The flash cards give you test questions one at a time and you can speed through them practicing recognizing the right answer.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Sweet! I was on QRZ, but I'll definitely give hamexam.com a thorough look.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 3:01:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Loadthis] [#25]

You won't be disappointed. It is a great tool for studying.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#26]

Be sure you go to http://hamexam.org/ and not the .com site as it is a pay site.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 9:22:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar-jedi] [#27]
Originally Posted By Some_Beach:

Be sure you go to http://hamexam.org/ and not the .com site as it is a pay site.  

there is so much free ham on the internets that i find it hard to understand why people would pay for ham.  i've looked at a lot of free ham sites and i honestly don't see how the pay ham sites could be any better.  it's beyond my comprehension –– if online ham is available for free, then why pay for ham?  something must be going on at the pay ham sites to attract paying folks looking for ham, but i really don't care because the free ham sites are good enough for me.  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 9:47:51 PM EDT
[#28]
The free site is what got me a passing grade on both the tech and general and good scores at that so I have no idea what a paying site would do other than separate a person from their money.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I wanted to see what the pay site was like-I studied the material and passed (missed one) the General Exam......will consider the same for my Extra.....unless I like the free sites better....
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Just passed the Tech today, now just have the waiting period....
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By kms323s:
Just passed the Tech today, now just have the waiting period....

Congratulations!

Another bites the dust!

Don't lose momentum, start in on the General right away!  If you can pass the Tech, which you did, you can pass the General!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:17:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Checked the free site out over the weekend and it's great.
Can't see why I'd need to pay to study for the exam - thanks for info!
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:22:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Figured I would post an update...  I just finished learning most of the material and have started consecrating on practice tests.  I am using both qrz and hamexam.org.  I seem to be always right in the 80% range and have yet to fail a practice test since i finished learning all the sections.  

I am now having some issues finding a test close to me.  I am located in Warren County NY and have sent an inquiry email to the local county club about a test but have yet to receive anything back.

Damn closest test on arrl to me is in Saranac lake and more then a 2 hour drive for me.  I would also have to take the day off from work as I work weekends...  I just wish I could find something a little closer on a weekday or weekend evening...

Any suggestions from the hive would be great.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By thederrick106:
<snip>

Have you check all the local clubs? Some don't put their test dates on the ARRL website. Some also might be able to accomodate a non-scheduled test session on a meeting day.
http://www.arrl.org/find-a-club
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Loadthis:
<snip>

Have you check all the local clubs? Some don't put their test dates on the ARRL website. Some also might be able to accomodate a non-scheduled test session on a meeting day.

Thanks, I just sent an email to saratoga county club as well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Okay, I've checked out hamexam.org- I now have consistent 95% completion rate, I'm doing the General exam flash cards to prepare for that, but I have a question regarding the test this weekend.

I e-mailed the local VE a week ago and have yet to receive a response- what is considered a second form of ID?  CHL card? SS Card?  First form will be DL, but not sure what is acceptable for second form.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Okay, I've checked out hamexam.org- I now have consistent 95% completion rate, I'm doing the General exam flash cards to prepare for that, but I have a question regarding the test this weekend.

I e-mailed the local VE a week ago and have yet to receive a response- what is considered a second form of ID?  CHL card? SS Card?  First form will be DL, but not sure what is acceptable for second form.

wow they want 2 forms??  bring any form of government issued ID, and your SS card just in case they don't accept anything else.

I don't like handing out my SS so Its always the last thing on my list to give out, I like to use my passport instead.

the first test I took they just looked at my DL, the second they just looked at my ham license.

some places like to make photocopies, another reason not to throw around your SS.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#38]
<snip>

You just need 3 VE's to have a test session.  In some cases you can get some local VEs to hold a local test session, especially if you can get a few people together for the test session.  When I was a VE we held a test session at a local amateur's house for two candidates... the test session do need to be announced publicly though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Tested a week ago today. Presented 2 picture ID's a SCDL and SC CWP; got a smirk from the VE-he looked compared mug and address and dropped them back on the table.  I'd go as far to say a SAMS card would work, or a student/ work ID???? course this is in SC.

Sounds like you should do well on the test!
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Tested a week ago today. Presented 2 picture ID's a SCDL and SC CWP; got a smirk from the VE-he looked compared mug and address and dropped them back on the table.  I'd go as far to say a SAMS card would work, or a student/ work ID???? course this is in SC.

Sounds like you should do well on the test!

Yeah, I have no doubts I'll pass the technician (although I'll keep taking practice exams just to make sure), but the general really REALLY steps it up a notch on technical and a larger question pool.  I'm just gonna try and cram for it.  If I pass, I pass, if not, ehh, still have the technician license(hopefully.)
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#41]
<snip>

You just need 3 VE's to have a test session.  In some cases you can get some local VEs to hold a local test session, especially if you can get a few people together for the test session.  When I was a VE we held a test session at a local amateur's house for two candidates... the test session do need to be announced publicly though.

I finally got an email back from one of the clubs... Basically telling me their next test session is not until September and thats all the info he can provide at this time...  Guess I am going for a 3 hour drive to take my test

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#42]

<snip>

I finally got an email back from one of the clubs... Basically telling me their next test session is not until September and thats all the info he can provide at this time...  Guess I am going for a 3 hour drive to take my test

we have had people drive further to test at my club

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By tesla120:

<snip>

we have had people drive further to test at my club  

Looks like I am headed to central Mass Friday afternoon for my test....   Its a long drive to go fail
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#44]
The general questions change at the end of the month right?

I've been studying the new ones, found a test location about 2 miles from my work at 6:30pm at a fire station... first thursday of every month.  Can't beat that!
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Well, gonna test tomorrow morning. I've got tech down, cramming for general now.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#46]

I passed my tech last night!  Nice little 7 hour round trip from upstate NY to Mass.  I gave the general a shot but failed it...  I may start studying for it some time...  My AO is all 2m and 70cm for the most part any ways.

Now to watch the fcc database for my sign
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#47]

I passed my tech last night!  Nice little 7 hour round trip from upstate NY to Mass.  I gave the general a shot but failed it...  I may start studying for it some time...  My AO is all 2m and 70cm for the most part any ways.

Now to watch the fcc database for my sign
Congrats!

Link Posted: 6/25/2011 10:21:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thederrick106] [#48]

thanks, and well done!

ar-jedi

(I took the tech)
1. Police dispatcher/ desk officer.  4 year degree.  Have worked maintenance and logging before.  motor head (jeeps cars motorcycles snowmobiles)  advanced computer user/ novice computer builder.  (I am running ubuntu 11.04 on the laptop I am on.
2. on and off for about 2 months.  I used the ham whisperer, hamexam.org, and qrz practice exams...
3.  150 miles.  aprox 7 hour round trip including stopping for take out on the way home.
4. Hospital conference room.  pretty easy to find with out any directions other then an address and my gps.
5. 5~10 min?  took longer for them to grade it and complete my paper work then for me to take the test.
6. less then 2 months.  About half way through learning the stuff i gave up for a couple weeks then decided to get back to it.  I would have gone to a closer test if I wanted to wait another few months, but I didnt want to have to try and remember the info for another few months.  as soon as I was getting 90s on every practice test I found a test and went to it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Passed tech and general this morning! I'll do ar jedi's background survey when I'm not on my phone.

Now the wait...
Link Posted: 6/25/2011 1:22:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Passed tech and general this morning! I'll do ar jedi's background survey when I'm not on my phone.

Now the wait...

congrats & +1 on the wait.
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top