Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2021 4:18:54 PM EDT
raising a new batch of chickens for eggs, an enjoyable past time.  

What is best for bedding?  When they were chicks, we used pine shavings.  For our other chickens, we have used straw.  However, I've seen folks use Hemp bedding - it is supposed to be very absorptive and only needs changing a couple times a year.  

I guess one down side is that I can't find it locally so far - so have to order it online.  If it really lasted a long time, it would come closer to being work it financially.

Anyone heard of this or use it?  Most folks stick with straw or hay?

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Straw here. Keeping it simple.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Cedar rather than straw or hay was recommended in another thread here, that I will link.

I enjoy reading the threads here and do not raise any animals, other than a pet dog.

What's up with this hen's comb?

Link Posted: 10/14/2021 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#3]
On the coop floor i used sand. Straw in the boxes and wood mulch outside in the run. Bought a long handled cat litter scoop to clean up in the morning
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#4]
In our broiler houses we use 60% Rice hulls. Which are not water absorbent. The create a bed between the floor. And we use 40% pine/cedar shavings. The shavings work their way to the top and keep the chickens from rubbing their breast. If you have a way to chop the straw it's pretty good but straw can harbor a fungus. Aspegillis and it can be down right bad on chicks so be very careful with straw and chicks. Sand is another good bedding material for a base layer. Sand with perlite chips 60% straw and 40% shavings would make a great layer hen bed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Typically hemp, but our usual supplier has been out so currently pine shavings.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Typically hemp, but our usual supplier has been out so currently pine shavings.
View Quote

Your close enough to get cotton seed mill midlands or peanut hulls to mix with your pine shavings. Your layers will still need some straw or cotton seed hulls for nesting material. I have a neighbor down the road that uses paper shreds for nesting material.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cedar rather than straw or hay was recommended in another thread here, that I will link.

I enjoy reading the threads here and do not raise any animals, other than a pet dog.

What's up with this hen's comb?

View Quote
You should avoid using cedar bedding for chickens.  They have sensitive respiratory systems that can be harmed by the aromatic oils. Pine can have the same effect but to a lesser degree.  We use aspen shavings in the coop and have done so for years.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Pine shavings in coop, deep litter method and changed once a year.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 12:25:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting replies, thanks all.

I've never heard of rice hulls, they look interesting.  I'll have to see what I can get in bulk around here.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#10]
We're using hemp bedding, sourced through a local feed and seed. Makes quite a difference especially odor wise.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I raked up some pine needles for them to use.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Pine shavings in the "run" portion of the house and nesting boxes. Sand in the poop trays. Run part of the coop can get changed monthly, sand scooped weekly.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We're using hemp bedding, sourced through a local feed and seed. Makes quite a difference especially odor wise.
View Quote

How expensive is it? I may do that for my girls.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#14]
About $23.00 / compacted bag, almost the size of a bale of straw
Old Dominion Hemp, Waynsboro, Va
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
About $23.00 / compacted bag, almost the size of a bale of straw
Old Dominion Hemp, Waynsboro, Va
View Quote

@1greenthumb

Thanks, looking on their website they have a store that sells from this company locally about an hour away, might go by when I'm in the area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top