Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billyhill:

Do you eat leaves from kohlrabi,  broccoli or cauliflower?
View Quote

I sprout broccoli and cauliflower but haven't grown them to maturity in forever due to having a hard time with pests.

Haven't tried kohlrabi in any fashion, but its on the "to try" list.

Have you?  Recommended?

I do use carrot tops in salads along with young turnip greens and garlic stalks.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 11:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
My garden is coming to an end. I have some tomatoes and peppers to still pick. I have managed to come up with a bunch of vintage jars to finish things off with.

I’m going to add a bunch of raised beds next year, been making compost and gathering for them all year.

Most all my current garden has been outdoor hydroponic for many years now with a few in ground. The hydro has served me very very well. Always produce a bunch of really good tasty produce. More then I can keep up with.

I’m also going to start rotating my main crops every year. I’m currently producing 2+ years worth of my main stuff. So I’m going to add more variety and change up my main crops each year. It will make preserving and growing a lot easier IMO
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 1:31:26 AM EDT
[#3]

My winter garden: I'm trying out potatoes in a small greenhouse, and some red toch garlic in the ground.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Our first frost was a couple of days ago so I'm pulling out the tomato,squash and cucumber plants that were left and adding compost to each bed before covering with straw.

Still have half a dozen cabbage's that are loving the cool weather and heading up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:

I sprout broccoli and cauliflower but haven't grown them to maturity in forever due to having a hard time with pests.

Haven't tried kohlrabi in any fashion, but its on the "to try" list.

Have you?  Recommended?

I do use carrot tops in salads along with young turnip greens and garlic stalks.
View Quote

Yep, best while young.  A little bitter, would go good in a salad or sautéed. All ways in the back of the mind in case you have to step up food production. Good chicken feed as well
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:18:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm scrolling back through this thread

It was a nice hot, productive, fun summer

Now it's cold....I hate to be cold

But I still have spinach, collards and a late crop of Bok Choy

We are planning on harvesting and freezing collards tomorrow if it warms up a bit

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 12:49:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Some of the bok choy and arugala from last season went to seed and was turned under. Went out to the garden spot and picked a walmart bag full of greens. A pleasant surprise.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Our humble indoor winter garden. We originally wanted to maintain a small herb garden through the winter but decided to expand a little and see how it went. Everything has been flourishing so far. It has been a fun project and we will continue to add to it as we bring more stuff on.

Peruvian sweet drop pepper plant. I love this guy. It is just starting to put out tiny little peppers.

Link Posted: 1/2/2022 1:53:36 PM EDT
[#12]
We still have 5 heads of cabbage in the garden and with the temps dropping into the teens last night and forecast to be cold all week I covered them last night.

I used large flower pots turned upside down over them and draped a frost blanket over that. It's been nice having fresh cabbage once a week or so and we're going to miss it after we use the last one.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#13]
We had fresh collards from the garden on New Years

Link Posted: 2/9/2022 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Seed potatoes are ordered. I have got most of the seeds I need acquire. May try to till on Saturday. I am a little excited.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:27:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Waldo0506] [#15]
Seed potatoes are ordered. I have got most of the seeds I need acquire. May try to till on Saturday. I am a little excited.
View Quote

I am excited as well. This winter we built 2 4x8 beds and the wife requested a 4x4 bed of herbs so I have to build that today.  

I started garlic outside and 72 misc vegetable seeds and about 50 carrots and onions inside.

We are trying Cherokee Red tomatoes this year and going heavy on cucumbers and peas.
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got all of my seeds I think

This year I'm going to plant mostly nursery plants, tomatoes, squash, cukes and I'm not wasting precious space on potatoes

I'm starting to think about the layout too

I'm looking forward to summer and fresh green beans

Link Posted: 2/16/2022 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Got all my seeds, just waiting for the seed potatoes to show up in the mail. Gonna start my peppers this weekend and the tomatoes in a month.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Gonna try my hand at container gardening this year. Found some 10 gallon bags on amazon made for this. Planning on tomatoes for sure, can’t decide what else.

I have a raised bed in my yard that gets plenty of sunlight, but doesn’t drain well. Any suggestions on what vegetables like moist soil? Still have a lot to learn about growing things.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Seed potatoes came in...

4 inches of rain this week. Hopefully a dry forecast this week holds and we can get them into the ground next weekend.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Seed potatoes came in...

4 inches of rain this week. Hopefully a dry forecast this week holds and we can get them into the ground next weekend.
View Quote

My potato experiment last year was a total failure, so from now on I'm buying potatoes at the grocery store

AND they take up a lot of room

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Logan45:
Gonna try my hand at container gardening this year. Found some 10 gallon bags on amazon made for this. Planning on tomatoes for sure, can't decide what else.

I have a raised bed in my yard that gets plenty of sunlight, but doesn't drain well. Any suggestions on what vegetables like moist soil? Still have a lot to learn about growing things.
View Quote
Some vegetables like asparagus, celery, cauliflower don't mind porr draining soil.
Mintbut only in a container/raised bed as it will take over your garden otherwise.

Can you describe your raised bed?
Such as an elevated planter that looks like a box on stilts vs a traditional raised bed whose base is the ground?

What is the soil make-up of your raised bed?

Grow bags work fineI think better than solid containers like buckets as the roots air prune and don't get all bound up.
But, the soil will dry out fairly quickly and there also a potential issue with nutrient wash-out as the bags are so porous.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I've barely starting thinking about starting seeds.  

I still have snow on the ground...
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:
I've barely starting thinking about starting seeds.  

I still have snow on the ground...
View Quote

I've already started onion and snapdragon seeds. In a couple of weeks, I'll start stratifying some seeds and planting others.

All depends on the seed as when to start.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I have struggled to get going. My physical conditioning has gone to crap. Should have started weeks ago but today I finally got up and went.

After some misadventures, it has begun.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#25]
I have struggled to get going. My physical conditioning has gone to crap. Should have started weeks ago but today I finally got up and went.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105091/Screenshot_20220305-121556_Gallery_jpg-2302368.JPG.
View Quote

Looks good

I've been thinking about breaking out the tiller too

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Got both gardens harrowed and pretty much ready. Will till sometime around the end of March and plant early April.
Already planted nine more blueberry bushes, 3 peach trees, and 3 elderberry.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:04:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#29]
Got about 12lb of seed potatoes to get out today, rain starts tomorrow. Going to try and get carrots, radishes, parsley, cilantro, and arugula in the ground as well. Rain starts tomorrow. Can you tell all the rain is stressing me out?
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 9:20:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I really kick myself to not putting in turnips or some kind of cover crop that I could have worked back into the ground.  
Attachment Attached File

It's been pretty wet in my part of the country, so I scratched the ground up with the M and the cultivator to let everything breath on Friday.
Attachment Attached File

Yesterday I turned the ground over with the 5055 and the conditions were about perfect.
Attachment Attached File

We got a decent shower last night, so once it dries up a bit I should have a fresh crop of rocks shining like a diamond on a goats behind.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

What cucumbers are you planting?  I have not found a cucumber I like as well as the old fashioned Straight 8 variety, but they are horrible Downey magnets.  So I won't do that again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:
Originally Posted By Waldo0506:

I am excited as well. This winter we built 2 4x8 beds and the wife requested a 4x4 bed of herbs so I have to build that today.  

I started garlic outside and 72 misc vegetable seeds and about 50 carrots and onions inside.

We are trying Cherokee Red tomatoes this year and going heavy on cucumbers and peas.

What cucumbers are you planting?  I have not found a cucumber I like as well as the old fashioned Straight 8 variety, but they are horrible Downey magnets.  So I won't do that again.
I've had fairly good success with Marketmore 76 and General Lee cucumbers.

Link Posted: 3/8/2022 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:
I really kick myself to not putting in turnips or some kind of cover crop that I could have worked back into the ground.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/243487/1_jpg-2304549.JPG
View Quote

Me too, I ran out of gas at the end of last season.

70 ft of potatoes in the ground yesterday and some more ground broken. Nothing else
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 12:11:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billyhill] [#33]
Double posted.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Me too, I ran out of gas at the end of last season.

70 ft of potatoes in the ground yesterday and some more ground broken. Nothing else
View Quote

Yep, this was my first year with my "new" garden and my results were poor.  Every day I drive by my old garden and the new owner put in turnips that did great and I wish I had all that new organic material.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Turned over 4 of the 6 raised beds after cleaning WAY too much crap out of them.

We sorta walked away from them last year

Mowed then tilled big garden yesterday evening while one of my sons LIGHTLY fertilized our smaller pasture.

Hoping to get potatoes in next week.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#36]
In the category of new garden toys, my wife graciously gifted me a hiller-furrower attachment for my tiller. Pretty sweet.
Link Posted: 3/8/2022 10:59:07 PM EDT
[#37]

New raspberry patch fresh in the ground.

Garlic from this fall still going strong.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 7:30:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Bought a six pack of broccoli, cauliflower,  and cabbage. I'll stick it in the ground tomorrow before I go to the doctor. Still need to get some seeds in the ground, if it is dry enough.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By MunsonMD:
Some vegetables like asparagus, celery, cauliflower don't mind porr draining soil.
Mintbut only in a container/raised bed as it will take over your garden otherwise.

Can you describe your raised bed?
Such as an elevated planter that looks like a box on stilts vs a traditional raised bed whose base is the ground?

What is the soil make-up of your raised bed?

Grow bags work fineI think better than solid containers like buckets as the roots air prune and don't get all bound up.
But, the soil will dry out fairly quickly and there also a potential issue with nutrient wash-out as the bags are so porous.
View Quote

Here's what the garden looks like today.  Roughly 4'x8', two layers of 4 inch ground timbers.  As you can see its kind of sunk down in the dirt.  

Attachment Attached File

Not really sure what the soil makeup is.  From what I remember when I started it, I tilled the soil in it, then added compost, potting mix, and a few other bags of stuff I found at one of the big box stores.  Haven't added much since.  

Today I dug and pulled up the woody stems from last years weeds.  There hasn't been anything planted in here since 2019 and I kinda let it go.  My plan is to get the weeds and grass out without tilling, add some compost, and plant purple hull peas there.  

Here are my grow bags:

Attachment Attached File

Left to right:  Creole tomatoes, green bell peppers, and two bags of a determinate bush type tomato (I forget the name).  I can see that watering and nutrient washout is going to be a problem.  I watered them heavily this evening, and most of it ran out onto my driveway.  

Looking to add mulch to my bags soon, but I'm not sure what to add.  I have access to an endless supply of pine straw but I'm not sure if that is good mulch or not.  Would love wood chips but I haven't found any yet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#40]
6 each of broc, cauliflower, and cabbage got in the ground, a patch of arugula and carrots were seeded. Lots still to do.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#41]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105091/Screenshot_20220305-121556_Gallery_jpg-2302368.JPG.
View Quote

Looks good!

I can send you some clay if you'd like.... and rocks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:23:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Clay and rocks, I have a gracious plenty .

I need to go get some manure.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Sometimes indoor hydroponics feels like cheating

Today's quick pickings for a salad at lunch:  Swiss Chard, Tokyo Bekana, Koji, Arugula and Red Mustard

Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:26:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
Sometimes indoor hydroponics feels like cheating

Today's quick pickings for a salad at lunch:  Swiss Chard, Tokyo Bekana, Koji, Arugula and Red Mustard

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60523/IMG_20220317_122030_653-2316558.jpg

View Quote

I am envious.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Today was a good day for outside stuff, so I tilled my little garden

I won't plant for another week or two, depending on weather and rain

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Started tomato seeds indoors yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TribunusSanGeorgii:
Started tomato seeds indoors yesterday.
View Quote

Isn't that late for seeds?

I see you're from MN and our growing seasons are wildly different from yours.

I buy plants, I hope to plant around 4/15 and we always get first tomatoes on or around July 4th

You?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:

I buy plants, I hope to plant around 4/15 and we always get first tomatoes on or around July 4th

You?
View Quote

Could be; this only my second season gardening

Last year I didn't get anything planted til mid May. We can get still get snow in April.

Looking back through my phone pics my first cherry tomato came on July 19th last year.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Avidrook:

You?
View Quote

I'm in Southern WI. My rule of thumb is to have everything planted or transplanted outside by mid-may. So I will start seeds in advance of that time according to date on the seed packet. For example, Amish Paste tomato seeds will go in the starter tray this weekend. I've already put in a few flowers and onions earlier, and they are growing.
I have a bunch of other seeds that will go in in the starter trays in the next couple of weeks after that, and even more seeds that will go directly into the ground in may.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 7:37:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top