Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 5/29/2019 1:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil]
EDITED TITLE INTO A BUILD THREAD

Going to be building a flatbed/dump bed for my F250 starting in July or so

What have you built?

We have new property we are going to start working on and a lot of dirt/rocks/gravel and trash will need to be hauled and then dumped, easier than unloading by hand

She won't let me buy a used "big" dump truck either

Don't want to eject, 'cause I kinda like her

Edit 03/20/2024 changed title to encompass our homesteading stuff
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't built a flatbed in a decade, but what is your budget?
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Budget is important..

You can get a decent dump trailer, that will hold more, easier to load and be arguably more useful (ramps, etc.) for not a lot of money. Our little bumper pull one was $4000.  My big, 15,000lb GVW gooseneck one was $7200 with everything.

Both brand new.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:
Budget is important..

You can get a decent dump trailer, that will hold more, easier to load and be arguably more useful (ramps, etc.) for not a lot of money. Our little bumper pull one was $4000.  My big, 15,000lb GVW gooseneck one was $7200 with everything.

Both brand new.
View Quote
That was my inclination to recommend as well. Trucks are useful as a do it all vehicle but once you have a trailer you're spoiled forever....but maybe that's my back speaking.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Need a bed anyways only 3/4's of it isnt missing carbon and 1/2 of that is squashed

Bed materials Is about $650  ( I am a machinist and have been purchasing manager for 9 years so my suppliers are generous )
Hydraulic bed kit is about $2000

Planning on steel framing and 2x treated for flooring, steel is slick and rocks beat it to shit, wood doesnt slide and easy to replace 10 years down the road

I hate unloading wood and shit from the bed after putting it in the 1st time, also plan to build a 10 ft dump trailer this winter

Wire, gas, cut off wheels and electricity etc is part of the hobby, I like building things

Plus I have wanted one for 35 years , since 1st seeing them in late 80's truck shows
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree about the trailer 100%, the truck 1st will give me a usable bed that can get in closer at times, I use a regular car hauler all the time just a pain to unload.
This also will allow wife to get mulch with out me coming home and finding a car hauler covered in a tarp with 8000lb of mulch on it, she didn't think about getting it off

She thought I could scoop it up with tractor as I drove up on trailer....I lol'd and didnt even try it much

Pre ETA...wife is great, not beating her up, she hooked up trailer. Got mulch and backed it right in where she wanted it.

Bed will be about 7-1/2' outside to outside and 8-1/2 inside, 4x8 and shit can be hauled
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 8:14:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an 86 4x4 F350 diesel  with a dump body
It was the best thing I ever bought for work around here.  Registration is under 100.00 a year and the insurance is super cheap.

I got really tired of manual unloading anything I hauled

Being a 6.9 diesel its easy to work on and runs on cheap fuel.

I thought about a dump trailer but decided on this due to its versatility as a stand alone truck

And its apocalypse ready with no computers!
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 7:34:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#7]
Originally Posted By bansil:
Need a bed anyways only 3/4's of it isnt missing carbon and 1/2 of that is squashed

Bed materials Is about $650  ( I am a machinist and have been purchasing manager for 9 years so my suppliers are generous )
Hydraulic bed kit is about $2000

Planning on steel framing and 2x treated for flooring, steel is slick and rocks beat it to shit, wood doesnt slide and easy to replace 10 years down the road

I hate unloading wood and shit from the bed after putting it in the 1st time, also plan to build a 10 ft dump trailer this winter

Wire, gas, cut off wheels and electricity etc is part of the hobby, I like building things

Plus I have wanted one for 35 years , since 1st seeing them in late 80's truck shows
View Quote
Well that certainly shifts the equation in your favor.

One recommendation I have is to make it as a stake body side. That way you can easily load/unload from the sides and/or rear with pallet forks. Much easier to build than flip downs and you can haul bulk items, like mulch, a lot easier. Mulching off the back of a dumper is possibly the easiest thing compared to paying someone else to do it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The fold down v/s stake has been on my mind for months...I am thinking to have 24 inch solid sides with 12/24 fold down.

I normally use the pallet claw to pull them back to tail gate.

Hope to order material next friday and will stsrt a thread about farm/homestead truck build to get input
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 8:22:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#9]
Oh, also plan to have the tailgate hinged top and bottom using 5/8 pins so you can pull all 4 pins and remove it.

Tailgate will have four 1 inch pins for pivots, and 5/8 pins to hold it to bed top and bottom

Pull top pins and its a normal bed.

Pull bottom pins and chain gate for gravel lay down
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#10]
There are a few times where a stake body really shines compared to a solid side bed. Mostly if you can't always get access to the rear of the vehicle to unload. If there's any spots like that on your property that would probably be the decision maker.

One bit of advise. Get a remote to operate the bed rather than having to always do it from the cab. I would have also killed to have had a small crane on any of those trucks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#11]
The small crane, and a small 8k winch is awesome ideas!
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Do you have airbags on your tuck already?  If not install them when you take the bed off. Good for leveling when loaded heavy
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 12:22:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I built an aluminum flat bed with tool boxes on a 2500. Doing all the labor myself, it still came out to about 4k, and it doesn't dump. Way more labor than I was anticipating.

I bought a 1984 F350 with a dump bed already on it for 1800, and spent about 1500 fixing it up and throwing a cheap paint job on it. Was actually a really sweet pickup.

Based on that, I second the recommendation for a dump trailer. Can haul skid steers on them, and lower height. No extra motor to maintain.

Or possibly just a load handler roll tarp system for a pickup bed if not going to be using it full time commercially.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#14]
The truck version will make the Weekly dump runs more Enjoyable, I haul trash for us and some older neighbors.

I can rent a dump trailer cheap, was surprised. If it looks like I need one more than 35 times I will build one. I have other trailers to haul stuff also

I don't have a skid steer only tractors...but I do want a small dozer
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Metal came in and dump kit showed up today, hopefully get bed off this weekend and start measuring pictures later (bump for anti-archive )
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#16]
So a few pictures to keep this out of archive, this will be a slow build

So I unboxed the kit, 7.5 ton from pierce
Attachment Attached File

so I had to take it apart because it was too frickin heavy
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Bed is shot, between rust and dents and the fact that the spray in bed liner is holding the bottom together

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I suited up
Attachment Attached File

and 5 cut off wheels later...24 bolt heads were cut and bed was loose
Attachment Attached File

My plans for the bottom frame
Attachment Attached File

since the shop was closed for the 4th, I went in on the 5th, ordered some drills and end mills we needed and used the saw

Attachment Attached File

Last order of business was to load the Tahoe

Attachment Attached File

Hope to get bed off tonight if weather holds out
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 1:15:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 11:35:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe kitties will set this to not archive.
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 12:04:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

I miss my F450 4x4 regularly. It rode awful, got stuck easily, guzzled diesel and was slow  but it didn't care if there was 7k lbs in the bed.
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 6:45:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#21]
So bed is off
Attachment Attached File

All this shit got cut off....
Attachment Attached File

Pressure washed and tomorrow after work hope to wire wheel and spray with rust stop shit...
Link Posted: 7/12/2019 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh...picture from behing Vato-zone...sprayed with engine cleaner...next stop? Pressue washing
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 8:07:15 PM EDT
[#23]
So went to car wash... $2 for 2 min...wtf so i went home and pressure washed it there, and cut off excess shit
Attachment Attached File

Here is were it sits now
Attachment Attached File

I will have to replace last cross member, its toast, lmc doesnt carry it, will get wife to check dealer/bodyshop parts monday, worst case? I will have to mske one
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 2:16:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
Maybe kitties will set this to not archive.
View Quote
Seconded. I’m very curious as to how this works out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Box in the back of the frame or it will buckle on you.

Tagged
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh while you're in there add helper bags now.
Link Posted: 7/26/2019 9:50:08 PM EDT
[#27]
OK- just saw this and the OP has pretty much locked himself in to the stuff he has bought but my thoughts may help someone else.

When doing this type of project it is only human nature to try and build stout. Stuff gets heavy fast and doesn't leave much weight for cargo.

Yeah you can beef up the springs and frame but you can only go so far. This goes double when you are starting with a 3/4 ton rig.

Years ago I worked for a contractor who had a heavy duty 3/4 ton international pick up that we destroyed the bed on by beating on it.

We looked at regular ready made dump bodies but they were all pretty heavy. In the end we had a regular factory made stake body (metal frame with wood floor)
and it worked real well for us with the addition of a dump rig. The stake body was wide (couple of inches wider than the cab) so it was real easy to load.On the end along the back of the cab we built a window guard/ladder rack that was bolted down, the sides and back had drop in wood stakes bolted to 2X10's . Doesn't seem very high but with a 6X8'bed it was plenty of volume.

Our business was restoring old colonial homes so we beat the hell out of that rig with heavy loads. The next truck he bought was a regular 1 ton dually with a steel masons dump but in the end the stake body was so much lighter than the masons dump that the weight capacity was about the same.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Tag.

Good time to check/replace the brake lines, fuel pump, etc. while the bed is off.
Link Posted: 7/28/2019 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#29]
My dad used to build his own dump trucks back in the day, he always used a 1ton f350 and he would buy a m35 2.5 ton truck bed and cut it down/modify it to fit. They are stout beds but not overly build to be too heavy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#30]
This is more of a I want a small dump truck for fire wood, mulch, gravel, rocks etc for upcoming small homestead projects.

It is not really going to be too heavy, I realize I won't have more than 2 tons or so in it for short distances, I plan to by a small full sized single axle dump truck in a year or two

Before I do bed bottom I will be doing some maintenance

Mock up, I need to take moar pictures

Between the lake and rain I havent got much done

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#31]
So, found some time this week to get front mounts drilled and last couple bed crossmembers tacked in.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Next up is to finish ram mount , cut ram crossmember to length and make support bracket
Link Posted: 8/15/2019 10:07:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:
Box in the back of the frame or it will buckle on you.

Tagged
View Quote
Will do with rear winch mount....
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:33:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 1:39:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#34]
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 6:15:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#35]
Found some time to re-engineer this "kit" yes I realise a kit means some fab...but damn.

So got both brackets bolted on to only place on the frame w/i their parameters. Mocked bracket and clamped in place
Attachment Attached File

Reassembled the lift.

Lowered it down, shit crossmember in the way....take apart cut out part of crossmember...reassemble...and way too high still

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I cant lower front or rear anymore, so said piss on it and put everything up and came in for a glass of wine.

Set in other crossmembers and tarped it up.

Attachment Attached File

Right now best bet is to cut tacks on rear hinge, add 3/4 inch spacer and run with it.

Oh the reason frame looks wet and black is 1st coat of....

Attachment Attached File

Sprayed on the rust converter, best stuff I have found when dealing with a big area, learned about it on a bus conversion site
Link Posted: 8/16/2019 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/17/2019 7:49:41 AM EDT
[#37]
It has been around for ever it seems. I like it, just put it in a cheap $10 sprayer and go to town, it is acid so protect eyes and lungs
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 12:28:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#38]
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Kitties-with-Sigs:

What does it do, exactly?

You are enough of a geek that I bet you understand its chemistry, at least at a fundamental level (that's all I would understand, believe me. .)
View Quote
Ospho

Been using it for years, works awesome for bus floors

So I got "liftkit" installed and everything clears now, what a pain, everything is tacked in.

I will measure next pcs, take metal to work and saw to length

Attachment Attached File

Support crossmember started

Flush bed
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/21/2019 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Subscribed. What’s the capacity on that lift ram. Just the subframe already looks heavy. Too bad you couldn’t go mostly aluminum. I know, expensive, but i bet you would save 500+ lbs off the weight.
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 7:02:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#41]
Originally Posted By chrisp929:
Subscribed. What’s the capacity on that lift ram.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Subscribed. What’s the capacity on that lift ram.
it is way too big (had to lift bed surface up further than I wanted too, capacity? too damn much 7.5 tons I only need a 2-1/2 ton one, shopping with a buzz on is a bitch

Just the subframe already looks heavy. Too bad you couldn’t go mostly aluminum. I know, expensive, but i bet you would save 500+ lbs off the weight.
4 pc C4 x 7.25# x 90 inches 7.25 lb per foot so about 54.375 ea x 4 = 217.50

2 pc C4 x 7.25# x 86.50 inches 7.25 per foot so about 52.60 ea x 2 = 104.52

6 pc 2 x 1 x 3/16 wall HRS channel x 86.50 inches @ 2.320 per ft 16.72 ea x 6 = 100.34

So about 422-1/3 guessing it's early

Factory bed is about 475# per bed delete option weight differences, a guess from internet

I think ship wt was less that 300lb
Link Posted: 8/22/2019 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks, hope to have new welder wired in today to burn it in, need to use just bed this weekend
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#44]
IN!
I have a couple of f350s that arn't worth selling and have been thinking of doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#45]
New welder kicks ass on 220v/240v, what ever it takes....

No gas, flux core wire, this is going to be a nice machine when I get some trigger time in.

I am not a welder per say, not cert etc, BUT I am happy with these

Front mount,  welded 3 sides

Attachment Attached File

Rear front
Attachment Attached File

Rear back

Attachment Attached File

Next buddy needed some hay so we stacked some on, oh yeah..
Tail lights also

You can see a bunch of clamps and 2 straps, I didnt want to lose the spacer blocks that need mounting, had to notch a couple small channel, will brace back

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/27/2019 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Those are VERY NICE for flux core welds. I’m NOT a flux core fan, but for flux core welds, i’m impressed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2019 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/1/2019 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Thank you, hot as Hades today....

Mocked up front standoffs to weld to lift rail
Attachment Attached File

This is thier home
Attachment Attached File

Cleaned up rust and burnt in...

Oops...this is the other parts I burnt in after the front blocks
Attachment Attached File

Got backseat loose, for hopefully installing pump and such...priorities are lake...but I can work on truck until wife gets up and decides to go
Link Posted: 9/2/2019 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Got up this beautiful morning, hit the hot tub and when sun got up....started on truck. Pull factory jack bracket out, drill a few holes in a 3/16 x 2 pc of steel, cut up factory bracket. Quick couple welds and pump is mounted
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

So next step was plumbing...%=+¥€€=÷_#! $@ they included wrong size fittings...argh...looks like 10 am pop a top and hit the lake..
This kit has been a major pita....

Oh, and yeah that carpet is
Link Posted: 9/20/2019 4:45:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Internet sucks in bfe...

So battery installed, 12v deep cycle from old trolling motor, not linked to rest of truck or solar yet, just had to see it move

Attachment Attached File

Beotch be all jacked and shiat yo😉

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top